Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Post of The Month - Spooky Month!

Laura_tigger82Laura_tigger82 Moderator Posts: 5,135 Part of The Furniture
Hey everyone!

Happy Halloween month. I got orange nails yesterday ready for spooky month! (*inserts pumpkin ghost here*). On that note, we have new nominations for this month's post of the month.

Where and who would we be if we didn't have all of you lovely people creating your own threads and taking the time to support each other. Thank you everyone for making The Mix's community the wonderful space it is.

Could you please select your favourite nomination from this month? This choice would be too tricky for us to do alone as mods!

The nominations are as follows:

@ijamzestaylor105 - Embracing Positivity in Our Lives - Let's Share Our Inspirations!
Hello, wonderful members of The Mix community,

I hope everyone is having a fantastic day filled with positivity and good vibes! Today, I want to open up a discussion about the power of positivity and how it can brighten our lives in countless ways. For this, we'll be focusing on the "Positivity Corner" of The Mix community, where we can come together to uplift, support, and inspire one another.

The Positivity Corner: A Beacon of Light
The Positivity Corner is a special place where we can break free from life's challenges and share stories, quotes, art, and experiences that ignite a spark of joy in our hearts. It's a sanctuary that reminds us that even amidst difficult times, there is always a glimmer of hope and happiness to hold on to.

Why Embrace Positivity?
Positivity isn't just a fleeting emotion; it's a mindset that can transform how we perceive the world and ourselves. When we embrace positivity, we build resilience, improve our mental well-being, and find the strength to navigate through tough situations. It's like a ripple effect, as the positive energy we generate can touch the lives of others, creating a chain reaction of kindness and support.

Sharing Our Inspirations
Let's take this opportunity to share the things that bring positivity into our lives. Whether it's a heartwarming quote, a beautiful piece of art, a story of triumph over adversity, or simply a moment that made you smile, your contribution can brighten someone's day and lift their spirits. Feel free to express your thoughts, share your creations, or even recommend books or resources that have motivated you on your journey.

Spreading the Positivity
As we engage in this discussion, let's also explore ways we can spread positivity beyond the boundaries of this community. Acts of kindness, small gestures of appreciation, or being there for someone in need can make a world of difference. The impact of positivity extends far beyond our immediate circles, and together, we can create a ripple effect that reverberates through the wider world.

A Gratitude Challenge
In the spirit of embracing positivity, I propose a gratitude challenge. Take a moment to reflect on three things you are grateful for today. Share them with us, and let's collectively cultivate an attitude of gratitude that enriches our lives and the lives of others.

Remember, we are all in this together, supporting and uplifting each other. So, let's fill this discussion with the radiant glow of positivity and celebrate the beauty of our shared humanity.

Sending lots of positive vibes your way,

James.

@MatchaMia - On My Parents
@JJLemon18

Hi I hope that you've been feeling better today,

I'm really sorry that you've been struggling with this - I know it may sound horrible to admit but could I refer to the situation as burdensome? I can imagine how much weight that is to carry, my parents sound very similar by the way you've described yours. I can relate when you say- you feel bad but you have no idea what to do to make it better for you and for them - It's difficult because they're so stuck in their narrowed field of view and can't identify their mistakes or be that self-aware to certain topics, it may be a generational / cultural thing and it definitely doesn't excuse them but it's hard to resent them for it at the same time, because you know it comes from a place of love, just in a form that's perhaps not helpful which they can't see at all.

What I've been telling myself is that their reactions stem from an "unhealed trauma/fear" or "unstable foundation" that they've been oblivious to in their life, and not because of us, instead its subconsciously being projected onto us, and it's not our role to heal or fix it for them, as much as we'd like to remove the toxic / unhealthy perspective. I think it's good to be able to mentally separate your feelings from their reactions- both may be completely valid but unrelated to each other you know? Like misplaced anger towards you may be a projection of their insecurity as parents or from a fear that your mental health isn't in a good place- anyway It's not your job to carry that weight if it's harming you. I understand though, even trying to separate yourself from the manipulation and reactions can be tiring if you're having to do it on a daily- have you tried to speak with a councillor about this?

Have you considered moving away / out for a bit? Might be tricky if you're not at university, but if it's possible I think some physical distance may help because your environment won't hold you down anymore and you'll feel more free to just be? and to feel? which is a lot healthier anyway...loving your family doesn't mean you have to allow them to displace negative emotions onto you and accept the harmful environment they create. It also doesn't necessarily mean that you're pushing them away, just creating a much needed boundary to breathe.

Sorry that this is so long, I hope it's given you even just a bit of comfort. I also agree with everyone else here, the boards are for you, and we're all here when you need us and want to talk <3

@Chloe234 - National Suicide Prevention Awareness Month
Hey 🧡 Hope this is okay to post. Hits pretty close to home and probably does for many others.

September was first declared as National Suicide Prevention Awareness Month in 2008. Since then, September has been a time to acknowledge those affected by suicide, raise awareness, and connect individuals with suicidal ideation to treatment services.
Each year more than 700,000 individuals worldwide die by suicide, leaving behind friends and family members to navigate the tragedy of their loss.

Every suicide is a tragedy that affects families, communities and entire countries and has long-lasting effects on the people left behind.

Suicide occurs throughout the lifespan and was the fourth leading cause of death among 15–29 year-olds globally in 2019.

Suicide does not just occur in high-income countries but is a global phenomenon in all regions of the world. In fact, over 77% of global suicides occurred in low- and middle-income countries in 2019.

Suicide is a serious public health problem; however, suicides are preventable with timely, evidence-based and often low-cost interventions. For national responses to be effective, a comprehensive multisectoral suicide prevention strategy is needed.

If you are feeling suicidal or ever need someone to talk to there are people there for you.
Here are a few hotlines/crisis lines you could contact:
- Crisis Messenger (24/7) | text THEMIX to 85258
- Samartians (24/7) | call 116 123 | email jo@samaritans.org
- Papyrus (2pm-midnight) | call 0800 068 41 41 | text 07786 209 697 | email pat@payrus-uk.org
- Supportline (hours vary) | call 01708 765 200
- National Suicide Prevention Helpline UK | call 0800 689 5652 (6pm to midnight every day).
- SANEline | call 0300 304 7000 (4.30pm–10.30pm every day).
- SHOUT | Text SHOUT to 85258

It's not "weak" to ask for help.
Check in on your friends
You're never alone.
There is plenty of ways to get help and support.
Do things you enjoy.
You're never alone. There's always people who can help you
You are valued and cared for by so many people, you deserve to feel at peace with yourself.

🎗🧡I wish you a wonderful day/night🧡🎗
FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.

Post of The Month - Spooky Month! 13 votes

ijamzestaylor105 - Embracing Positivity in Our Lives - Let's Share Our Inspirations!
7% 1 vote
MatchaMia - On My Parents
23% 3 votes
Chloe234 - National Suicide Prevention Awareness Month
69% 9 votes

Comments

• Options
    Amy22Amy22 Posts: 4,023 Community Veteran
    I think all of these posts are so lovely and brilliant <3 well done to everyone who got nominated this month
    Just a person who likes pop culture and films
  • Options
    AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,870 Extreme Poster
    A great set of nominations this month, congratulations to the nominees! :)
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,319 Part of The Furniture
    Thirded! Amazing nominations - you guys are so wise 💚
    The truth resists simplicity.
  • Options
    sinead276sinead276 Posts: 1,064 Wise Owl
    Once again all the posts nominated are so deserving - so congrats to you all
  • Options
    JimetteJimette Posts: 85 Budding Regular
    Awww man :cry:
    Wild Hearts Never Die~ >:3
  • Options
    JimetteJimette Posts: 85 Budding Regular
    edited October 2023
    @MatchaMia Is this still available? Can I still take part? 🥺
    Wild Hearts Never Die~ >:3
  • Options
    Indeed @Jimette - voting does not close until the 5th of November :p
  • Options
    ebyrne556ebyrne556 Moderator Posts: 839 Part of The Mix Family
    Amazing nominations for this month as always <3 I cant believe October is nearly over.Just a reminder that this is the last week to vote <3
  • Options
    kaiikaii Posts: 461 Listening Ear
    Congratulations to everyone who got nominated in October!! These posts are absolutely incredible, thank you for making this community wonderful :3<3
    cinnamoroll supremacy : )
  • Options
    Well done everyone!! You are all winners in our eyes but there can only be one winner for post of the month (otherwise that'd be cheating ;))

The winner for this month is... drum roll please... @Chloe234 with National Suicide Prevention Awareness Month. Chloe, this was a really informative and comforting post - clearly showing lots of awareness and care around this area. Thank you <3
  • Options
    Chloe234Chloe234 Community Champion Posts: 2,178 Boards Champion
    Well done everyone!! You are all winners in our eyes but there can only be one winner for post of the month (otherwise that'd be cheating ;))

The winner for this month is... drum roll please... @Chloe234 with National Suicide Prevention Awareness Month. Chloe, this was a really informative and comforting post - clearly showing lots of awareness and care around this area. Thank you <3

Thankyou everyone <3