Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

How can I afford student accommodation?

IainJammyboyIainJammyboy Posts: 944 Part of The Mix Family
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I have a wee bit of money because I need to get away from my parents who make my life a miserery. I just don't know how to pay for it all as my parents won't support me financially? They said they wouldn't support me financially or as parents because it's not what they want, but everything in my life has always revolved around them, them, them - and I'm just sick of it to be honest
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    EmmaLou30EmmaLou30 Moderator Posts: 24 Boards Initiate
    Hi @IainJammyboy

Things will get better I promise, is there any way that you could contact student finance? They might be able to give you a clearer picture of a solution to the problem that you are faced with. You are incredibly strong and the community are very proud of you for putting yourself first and doing what you find important.

You mention that your parents won't support you because it's not what they want. Would you feel comfy sharing a bit more about that ?
    Em
    Forum Moderator
  • Options
    @EmmaLou30 A NEW MODERATOR!!!!! hello! I tried contacting student finance but they won't offer anything, and my parents told me they wouldn't support me financially or even as parents but I don't even know why other than they still act like I'm some sort of object to them
  • Options
    jess63jess63 Posts: 287 The Mix Regular
    Hi @IainJammyboy

That sounds like a really difficult situation. Are you able to at least get the standard maintenance loan of £4000 a year? Or the other thing I can think of is maybe contacting the uni and seeing if there are any bursaries available to you, most of them aren’t a lot of money but it could help a bit. I hope you manage to get something sorted
    The steps you take don't have to be big, they just need to take you in the right direction.
  • Options
    @jess63 yeah I get both of that, but it won't only cover the cost of 5 months student accommodation, nevermind food to Live
  • Options
    Tried asking my dad about it in a calm manner and he started shouting at me acting like he was the victim, told me to shut up and turned on the radio to drown me out. I just asked a question, told him to grow up too and he went all in a mood like a toddler
  • Options
    I’m sorry to hear that @IainJammyboy, the way they do student finance needs to be sorted, so people can actually afford it if their parents don’t help them. I found this article by UCAS on what to do if your student finance doesn’t cover your accommodation, which might be useful. https://www.ucas.com/finance/managing-money/what-you-can-do-if-your-student-finance-isnt-enough

Have you chosen your accommodation yet, if not have you considered looking at uni houses rather than halls (if you haven’t already) they can often be cheaper
    The steps you take don't have to be big, they just need to take you in the right direction.
  • Options
    @jess63 yeah I'm having a look, found one across the road for the conservatoire of Scotland which for the price looks a really good deal - 200 a week for a private kitchen and everything. I spoke to the uni in person and they were much more helpful with giving advice and everything
  • Options
    @jess63 spoke to a helpline today - breathing space, and because it was one of those online chat ones it helped me really express my experience and how I was feeling and so at first directed me towards advocacy services near me, but after that telling her I'm at nearly a constant risk to myself she was happy to advocate for me with the possibility of getting social services or other help involved, but a very very high chance of either getting the financial support to move out or other options. I can't imagine what my parents would do if they found out but I'm at least happy I made the first step towards making my life so much better. On an unrelated note I had a wee violin performance class at the junior conservatoire in Glasgow, can I send it here? I am just so proud of it but don't have anyone to share it with other than my music friends who were there watching in person lol
  • Options
    lunarcat522lunarcat522 Posts: 449 Listening Ear
    @IainJammyboy Your violin performance sounds great, would love to hear it! I can't play any instruments so I'm always very impressed by those who can!

Hope everything works out in terms of finance and moving out <3
  • Options
    @IainJammyboy aw that is great news I’m so happy you’ve managed to speak to someone and sort something out. That sounds really positive and it’s great that you’ve got someone to talk to about it now. I personally would love to see your performance, I love the violin I think it’s such a beautiful instrument. I think you should be able to post it, as long as it doesn’t have any other people in it.
  • Options
    AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,895 Extreme Poster
    Hey @IainJammyboy - that sounds like a really difficult situation. I'm glad that you were able to speak to a helpline about getting support from social services or financial support, it sounds like it gave some encouraging news which is good to hear. It sounds like taking this step is important to you to move towards living a life that you want to.

I can understand though that it's difficult to think about how parents will react, knowing that they haven't reacted kindly to previous conversations on this. It might not be an easy conversation, but let's first make sure you've got the logistics sorted to go to university - the conversation can be dealt with later.

I really hope you're able to make this work and attend the university you've chosen. We're here to support you and root for you! :)
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    EmmaLou30EmmaLou30 Moderator Posts: 24 Boards Initiate
    Hi @IainJammyboy, it's great to hear that you have taken a step in the right direction! It all sounds very promising and positive <3 ! We are all here to support you as best we can :)

I think it is brilliant that you have found out about the support that is out there for you which can help you to live a life that makes you happy <3

It must be really difficult when you don't have support from your parents, but we all think you are doing a brilliant job at getting your university journey up and running ! Keep doing what you think is right; you are who is most important in your new venture into university life !
    Em
    Forum Moderator