Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Is anyone else in a similar position?

FordRangerFordRanger Posts: 1,341 Wise Owl
edited August 2023 in Work & Study
Basically in your 20s, not working, you'll wake up at late because you can because you don't have a job to get to and you ended up endlessly on games till 2am and you delay going to bed for another hour before getting tired. You just not this year, you justified to yourself that living with your family. You try cleaning the mess in your room that you let pile of weeks ago before giving out them pretending like it doesn't exist. You struggle to even do a little bit of job searching like take a look at job ads etc. You think the work world is too hard and don't feel motivated. You don't fall asleep at early hours of the morning like 4 or 5 am. Sometimes youre forcing yourself to get out of the house.

Above is me atm, I feel so down about my situation, I feel like the only person like this especially this age. I find it hard to talk about and was debating on weather to post it of not as its a lot of detail about my personal life. I wanted to see if anyone can relate to me but wanted to talk about my situation again.

Comments

• Options
    Katie12Katie12 Posts: 251 The Mix Regular
    Hi @FordRanger , I am also in my 20s and relate to some of the things you are feeling. Of course everyone's situations are different but you are definitely not alone in what you are feeling so thank you for sharing. From my own experiences i can tell you that i felt overwhelmed with 'getting my life together' as i felt everyone else around me had it all sorted out. It wasn't until i realised that this was not the case that i started to ease the pressure on myself and feel happier with my situation.
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Katie12 wrote: »
    Hi @FordRanger , I am also in my 20s and relate to some of the things you are feeling. Of course everyone's situations are different but you are definitely not alone in what you are feeling so thank you for sharing. From my own experiences i can tell you that i felt overwhelmed with 'getting my life together' as i felt everyone else around me had it all sorted out. It wasn't until i realised that this was not the case that i started to ease the pressure on myself and feel happier with my situation.

@Katie12 Thanks for your reply and its true what you're saying as in im not alone etc. I'm just trying to improve my situation now
  • Options
    Laura_tigger82Laura_tigger82 Moderator Posts: 5,132 Part of The Furniture
    What steps are you making at the moment @FordRanger and how do these steps feel? It is really positive to hear you are not feeling alone anymore :)
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    What steps are you making at the moment @FordRanger and how do these steps feel? It is really positive to hear you are not feeling alone anymore :)

@Laura_tigger82 I'm just hopefully going to start trying to look for work, I'm not sure what I'll do yet but I'll have to have think
  • Options
    Laura_tigger82Laura_tigger82 Moderator Posts: 5,132 Part of The Furniture
    It sounds positive that you are going to start looking for work @FordRanger. Do you know where you might look for work? (like which search engines etc). It might be worth having a browse and reading the job descriptions to see if there are any that sound interesting (which you may not have previously thought about) :)
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    It sounds positive that you are going to start looking for work @FordRanger. Do you know where you might look for work? (like which search engines etc). It might be worth having a browse and reading the job descriptions to see if there are any that sound interesting (which you may not have previously thought about) :)

@Laura_tigger82 not sure atm but yh what I'll probably do what you said look at search engines like indeed etc. I guess I can maybe sort things step at a time and then end up get fully sorted. Also I'm just trying to start off with like getting up earlier even though I'm not working and even if its a bit earlier like 12am instead of 1am then I could slowly work down to earlier and earlier then end up getting up.the normal time people get up.
  • Options
    VicK_toriousVicK_torious Posts: 107 The Mix Convert
    i would try engaging with recruiters on LinkedIn possibly, i know some agencies or recruiters don'r always check applications through indeed. TRy to find jobs through indeed and LinkedIn and ersonally email them or call them! @FordRanger
  • Options
    JJLemon18JJLemon18 Community Champion Posts: 1,945 Extreme Poster
    Wow, yup, you're basically talking about me haha. So don't worry, you're not alone. I'm glad you're starting to take positive steps to improve your life so that's great! Remember to take it one small step at a time and don't worry if anything goes wrong, because it will, and that's okay. If you want to talk more about it then I'm here. Take care of yourself :)
    Believe in me - who believes in you
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    JJLemon18 wrote: »
    Wow, yup, you're basically talking about me haha. So don't worry, you're not alone. I'm glad you're starting to take positive steps to improve your life so that's great! Remember to take it one small step at a time and don't worry if anything goes wrong, because it will, and that's okay. If you want to talk more about it then I'm here. Take care of yourself :)

Cheers dude, I think it's not too uncommon hopefully we both improve soon.
  • Options
    vicky_zin wrote: »
    i would try engaging with recruiters on LinkedIn possibly, i know some agencies or recruiters don'r always check applications through indeed. TRy to find jobs through indeed and LinkedIn and ersonally email them or call them! @FordRanger

Thanks ill try that
  • Options
    Amy22Amy22 Posts: 4,064 Community Veteran
    Hi I noticed your post and I think quite a lot of young people are feeling that way about things about the moment especially with what is going in the world including the UK, so your definitely not alone. I'm also in a similar situation eventhough I got a job interview well 2 one tomorrow and on another day. But I know the feeling of wanting a job but struggling to find one and one to enjoy as well. I'd say take it one step at a time and see how things go as most things take time. I also agree with what @vicky_zin mentioned about having linkedin and recruiters as I know linkedin post job related posts and guidance on there too. Also, I don't know if this might be helpful but maybe going to see a career's advisor could help as they would give you guidance on how to find jobs even if it was voluntary work for now but could lead to a job. They also focus on the things that you like doing and will build a plan around what interests you as well. That could be an option maybe?. I'm always here too if you want to talk about anything or need any help or guidance on work <3
    Just a person who likes pop culture and films
  • Options
    BellaCanadaBellaCanada Posts: 8 Confirmed not a robot
    Hey I just posted something similar as I am in a similar situation although I don't have any advice its nice to know other people feel about the world of work and motivation surrounding it.