Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Photos on fb

ellie2000ellie2000 Posts: 3,972 Community Veteran
edited September 2023 in Home, Law & Money
I saw a photo on Facebook of someone's little ones in a pool. N I msgd tht they could b at risk,
Am I wrong in doing that?
Crazy mad insane
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    lunarcat522lunarcat522 Posts: 414 Listening Ear
    @ellie2000 I don't think so, it's really scary what predators can do with images now due to advances in technology
  • Options
    AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,858 Extreme Poster
    Hey @ellie2000, it sounds like you were concerned for that person's kids being at risk because their photos were on Facebook. Could you explain a bit more about what about it worried you?
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    LydsRose9LydsRose9 Posts: 106 The Mix Convert
    Hi @ellie2000 - it sounds like you did it with the best intentions and only wanted to protect the children from potential online harm. To me this sounds like a very reasonable thing to do and you’re probably pointing something out that the parent will be grateful to be aware of.
    Keep fighting the good fight!
  • Options
    MaisyMaisy Moderator Posts: 634 Incredible Poster
    I don't think you did anything wrong- you were just concerned and thought it best to talk to the person.

Sometimes people don't think about the risk that comes with posting photos of their children on social media. Some people are a bit more aware and will cover the child's face with an emoji or something so that the child can't be identified. I also think it might help to take into consideration the privacy setting of the photos as well- photos that can only be seen by friends only pose a small risk compared to photos that are shared publicly (where anyone can access the photos!)

How did the person respond to your message? I'm guessing it can be a little alarming to a receive a message from someone saying that the photo of their child is putting them at risk, so some people might react not very kindly or might be wondering who their child is at risk from (a specific person or just in general?) But you were only looking out for them, so they should be understanding of that.
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.