Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Netflix and its sudden stalling

MatchaMiaMatchaMia Posts: 60 Boards Initiate
Okay so not sure if it's just me but It feels like there's not a lot of new good shows / movies on netflix anymore? Like when you absolutely want to do nothing, it used to have so much there but recently It's feeling sorta empty- does anyone have any shows / movies they really love and recommend?

I also wish they'd put more OG childhood barbie movies and stop removing them, how else am I going to prep for the new real-life movie next week? hahahah

Comments

• Options
    Amy22Amy22 Posts: 4,027 Community Veteran
    I totally feel you with the whole Netflix thing even though I can't speak for everyone else and also I don't have Netflix either but I also feel like there aren't any good shows or films anymore even on TV generally to speak. Ooh the Barbie films are the best I loved watching them I think my favourite was the Princess and the Pauper cause of the music. Also, Mariposa was cool and the Twelve Princesses one I remember which was my all time favourite film to watch when I was younger. I think I may still have them on DVD not sure though cause I did have a clear out once. Omg the new Barbie film looks good I don't know If I may see it but it does look amazing!.

Hmm what types of shows or movies do you tend to enjoy watching or any types of genre. Some of the shows I watch tend to be quite dark, gritty and apocalyptic in nature. I know the show Gotham is good to watch and it's based off the Gotham and Batman comic book series but delves deeper into the character origins. It is dark though. There is also Wayne which is a coming of age show I did watch ish on Youtube, its also on Channel 4 but Im not sure if it has been put onto Netflix. That's is also a bit dark but very funny.
    Just a person who likes pop culture and films
  • Options
    Terry8936Terry8936 Posts: 271 The Mix Regular
    @MatchaMia I feel the same way when I browse Netflix page. What types of shows or series are you looking for?
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    emiip98emiip98 Moderator Posts: 132 The Mix Convert
    @MatchaMia I find the odd bits and bobs, what kind of shows/movies interest you? I can make some recommendations :)

Also, I am eagerly awaiting the new barbie film, already booked my tickets eeek! Not the best quality but I always watch the old barbie films on youtube =)
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    @eparker98 @Terry8936
    Honestly anything! Any good dramas, romcoms, sitcoms, action/murder mystery, and feel-good type of shows!! I'm open to quite a lot of genres. :)
  • Options
    @Amy22 Yes! I wished I had looked after my barbie DVD's more as a child instead of leaving them around because now they're all lost! I really liked 12 dancing princesses as well! I think my other favourites were fairytopia, mariposa and island princess.

In terms of what I like to watch, I honestly think it can depend on my mood, somedays I'd like something lighthearted, maybe something to just have in the background, other days something more emotional but still light like romcoms etc. I did watch that movie 'the hate you give' yesterday, its a lot more emotional and deep, I'm pretty sure I cried throughout hahahah- It's a good watch if you haven't already. I don't mind dark shows either- I do feel like I can't binge those as much though just because It's a lot sometimes! Thank you for the suggestions :3
  • Options
    MatchaMia wrote: »
    @Amy22 Yes! I wished I had looked after my barbie DVD's more as a child instead of leaving them around because now they're all lost! I really liked 12 dancing princesses as well! I think my other favourites were fairytopia, mariposa and island princess.

In terms of what I like to watch, I honestly think it can depend on my mood, somedays I'd like something lighthearted, maybe something to just have in the background, other days something more emotional but still light like romcoms etc. I did watch that movie 'the hate you give' yesterday, its a lot more emotional and deep, I'm pretty sure I cried throughout hahahah- It's a good watch if you haven't already. I don't mind dark shows either- I do feel like I can't binge those as much though just because It's a lot sometimes! Thank you for the suggestions :3

Honestly I'm the same too when watching shows as well even though I tend to gravitate towards dark and gritty stuff cause I'm a gritty person haha. I also love light hearted stuff even my comedy. 'Superstore' is a great light hearted show to watch in the background as it's like the office but set in a supermarket and it's sooo hiliarious. I think you would love it!

Omg I got the actual book of The Hate You Give but I need to finish the final chapter section of the book. It's such a good book but I'll have to check out the film too.
  • Options
    @Amy22 I'd love to read the book actually, I didn't know there was one until after I had already watched! You can find it on disney+ if you have it, I think it's overall quite powerful. And oooo yes, I've noticed superstore....and there was also something else like mr kim's convenience or something? Is superstore where they have that actress who played ugly betty? I may check it out then thank you!
  • Options
    MatchaMia wrote: »
    @Amy22 I'd love to read the book actually, I didn't know there was one until after I had already watched! You can find it on disney+ if you have it, I think it's overall quite powerful. And oooo yes, I've noticed superstore....and there was also something else like mr kim's convenience or something? Is superstore where they have that actress who played ugly betty? I may check it out then thank you!

The book is good I haven't finished reading it because I kept distracting myself with other books lmaoo. Sadly I haven't got Disney+ but hopefully one day I will get it and I will definitly watch that film too as it sounds brilliant. There is also a show called Mr Kim's convience store which I haven't watched but it does look very good. Superstore is very very good, it can be a bit cheesy at times but it is funny. I'm not of the actress who played ugly betty but there is a character in the show who has the same name as me lol xd
  • Options
    ebyrne556ebyrne556 Moderator Posts: 839 Part of The Mix Family
    I love superstore! Also another good fav of mine is fuller house… Low-key worried about the new Barbie movie it will be different to say the least lol
  • Options
    ebyrne556 wrote: »
    I love superstore! Also another good fav of mine is fuller house… Low-key worried about the new Barbie movie it will be different to say the least lol

I really want to see the new Barbie film but also feel uncertain too as I hope they do the Barbie franchise justice lol. Oppenheimer looks brill though!
  • Options
    Laura_tigger82Laura_tigger82 Moderator Posts: 5,135 Part of The Furniture
    I have heard great things about Oppenheimer @Amy22 - do you know when you might get to watch it? I was supposed to be watching Barbie this weekend but have come down with flu-like symptoms instead... hopefully, in the next few weeks, I'll get to watch it when the germs vanish :p
  • Options
    yanayana Community Champion Posts: 1,277 Wise Owl
    eparker98 wrote: »
    @MatchaMia I find the odd bits and bobs, what kind of shows/movies interest you? I can make some recommendations :)

Also, I am eagerly awaiting the new barbie film, already booked my tickets eeek! Not the best quality but I always watch the old barbie films on youtube =)

my entire childhood was watching bad quality old Barbie movies on YouTube lol
    my brain is not braining the way brains are meant to brain
  • Options
    yanayana Community Champion Posts: 1,277 Wise Owl
    Oppenheimer and Barbie were both good. I'm not the type of person to watch oppenheimer, my friends dragged me with. but weirdly I enjoyed it more than Barbie. I think the Barbie movie is undoubtedly overrated
    my brain is not braining the way brains are meant to brain
  • Options
    Oh really @Xee? :o In which ways would you say it is undoubtedly overrated?
  • Options
    I have heard great things about Oppenheimer @Amy22 - do you know when you might get to watch it? I was supposed to be watching Barbie this weekend but have come down with flu-like symptoms instead... hopefully, in the next few weeks, I'll get to watch it when the germs vanish :p

I don't know when I might watch it as I too have got a cold and my mum has as well. So I might have to wait like you until im better to watch them both hehe.
  • Options
    AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,877 Extreme Poster
    Xee wrote: »
    Oppenheimer and Barbie were both good. I'm not the type of person to watch oppenheimer, my friends dragged me with. but weirdly I enjoyed it more than Barbie. I think the Barbie movie is undoubtedly overrated

I'd probably go further with both - Oppenheimer was outstanding, a really good watch. It's a 3 hour film, but I'd have happily stayed for another 3 hours if went on - a well told story from start to finish. On the other hand, I think Barbie was pretty poor. They did so well with the soundtrack, promotion, casting and some of the themes, but the actual story (the key part of any movie!) was poorly told and a confused mess to me. Barbie might have done better at the box office, but they're a world apart in quality personally.
  • Options
    Yeah I find that Barbie even though I haven't seen it was trying to have a pro-feminist meaning cause of Barbie being an icon for feminism. However, looking at reviews it sounds like the film didn't cater to that meaning eventhough the soundtrack does sound brilliant. Oppenheimer on the other hand despite being a three hour long film sounds awesome and apparently if you watch in 30mm in an Imax theatre it was quite the experience.
  • Options
    I personally enjoyed Barbie! I haven't watched Oppenheimer but I've heard good things. I think with barbie It was quite difficult to understand the story in the moment- I found it funny, random and playful while watching but I don't think I actually developed any appreciation for it beyond "a tribute to my childhood and fun colours, fun promotions etc." until afterwards when talking to people about how they'd interpreted it, the intention of greta and some of the casts' opinions, people generally online exploring its themes. I do think it holds some power and importance in giving voice to so many women and men- I think there was a lot of humour to make the deeper moments hit more, but at the same time i can see why its hard to identify those meanings in the first place. That being said- @Azziman I totally get the confusion because i felt the same towards the ending scenes !! I really think the whole movie was semi-structured and open to interpretation depending on your own story and what you can / cant resonate / relate with?

@Xee I think all the grand promotions did leave people feeling like it was overrated, I do think the movie could've been cleaner at some points and It did feel like something was missing? Can't really explain it...but I guess maybe the promotions were so big to attract more attention so that the issues touched on in the movie could touch more people too?

Hahah sorry for such a long review! One thing to take away is that the movie was completely unexpected in every way lol definitely more to do with the dolls vs. our childhood movies and although at first I was disappointed by that and expected more, the movie was still interesting and a good different? Lmk if you end up watching! @Amy22 @Laura_tigger82 @ebyrne556 @eparker98
  • Options
    @MatchaMia I might be going to see it maybe with my mum tomorrow night so excited!!!
  • Options
    ebyrne556ebyrne556 Moderator Posts: 839 Part of The Mix Family
    I saw it yesterday and totally agree honestly was so confused through the majoirty but tbh it was easy enuff to likezone out to if u get me.Also srs 2 of heartstopper is out which is veryr excititing.Have a good time if u go c it today Amy
  • Options
    How are you and your mum now @Amy22? I have booked to see Barbie on the 29th of August - yay!! :)
  • Options
    @Laura_tigger82 yeah we are doing good, my mum really loved it. When we first entered and watched the beginning we were a bit unsure but we stayed and it was brilliant. Yay awesome, hope you enjoy see it <3
  • Options
    I can really hear the importance of sticking with it to see its value on this thread @Amy22! Glad you and your mum are doing good and enjoyed the film <3