Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Why is it so difficult to get a job?

IainJammyboyIainJammyboy Posts: 944 Part of The Mix Family
edited June 2023 in Work & Study
I can't even apply to become a part time cleaner - to get a job you need experience, and to get experience you need a job. I give up lmao

Comments

• Options
    Amy22Amy22 Posts: 4,064 Community Veteran
    I honestly feel you there too as some of the jobs I have seen also ask for experience as well which is annoying. I wish it was just easy getting a job.
    Just a person who likes pop culture and films
  • Options
    jess63jess63 Posts: 287 The Mix Regular
    I totally get this it can be so frustrating, but the biggest thing is to not give up and just keep trying and keep applying. Is there anyway you can maybe do some volunteering in the meantime to gain experience?
    The steps you take don't have to be big, they just need to take you in the right direction.
  • Options
    sinead276sinead276 Posts: 1,094 Wise Owl
    Completely agree and understand this - it feels so difficult to get a job in today's world due to the cycle of needing experience but can't get it due to needing experience.

Like Jess said, try not to give up and keep applying - eventually you will get a break through

Sending Hugs
    Sinead
  • Options
    genderless_fungigenderless_fungi Moderator Posts: 159 Helping Hand
    Hey @IainJammyboy !

Job hunting is very stressful and you're right in saying that it's even more so when you have limited work experience. What @jess63 said it's true, volunteering, especially in the type of position you'd like to apply to later on, is valued a lot by employers or people that are tasked with evaluating your cv. For example, i mentioned volunteering here in my cover letter when applying for my masters and one of the unis that got back to me mentioned that what i wrote about my job here was pivotal in convincing them that i would be a good candidate (it's in cognitive neuroscience, so related to mental health). Even when it might not be related to what you want to do later in life, it shows time management and . Would volunteering be something you'd like to consider?

I know it's also frustrating to look at entry level jobs and minimum wage jobs given that the pay is usually very low, but if you look into working in retail or for a job as a waiter/bartender for chain restaurants or well known fast fashion companies (for example), they usually don't ask for a lot of experience. It will be different if you're looking for an entry level job in restaurants or companies that are considered to be a little more high end. As an example, Amorino always looks for employees with 1/2 years of experience but Zizzi or McDonald's might not. Something i've seen a lot of people do is start out with jobs like the latter just to get some experience and then move on to something else. You can take away so-called transferable skills from all types of jobs so don't worry too much about finding something that might look a little better on your cv when starting out!

What type of job are you looking for?

Let us know how job hunting goes
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    CaniceQCaniceQ Posts: 122 The Mix Convert
    @IainJammyboy
    It's so frustrating to gain a job 😩. Just like what @genderless_fungi said, have you considered volunteering? It may help increase your chances of getting a job, as you can acquire skills in an environment that is similar to the one you're applying for and it shows your dedication and interest in a certain field (since it tells employers that you're not there for the money).
    CaniceQ
  • Options
    kaiikaii Posts: 468 Listening Ear
    Hey @IainJammyboy, I completely sympathise with how annoying getting a job is :disappointed: I'm currently searching for part-time jobs, and I haven't had any luck so far.

I agree with what everyone else has said above, perseverance is important - please don't give up, you will definitely get that 'yes' eventually! But please remember that it's also okay to take breaks too as job searching is super overwhelming and tiring. Volunteering is also something to consider, it informs employers that you're committed, which is something they value greatly!

I'd also like to suggest maybe (I've never tried this before, but I plan to, and this may be worth a shot) going to the places you want to work for in-person and then speaking to the manager/worker there, and see if they'll be willing to look at your CV? Surprisingly, quite a few job opportunities aren't posted on online websites like Indeed, since recruiting can take a lot of time and resources. So maybe there are companies that are hiring for people that you just don't know yet! I can understand how this can be challenging and nerve-inducing though. But you do ever try it, you're very brave for doing this.

I hope this helps, and best of luck with this difficult process! <3
    cinnamoroll supremacy : )
  • Options
    Laura_tigger82Laura_tigger82 Moderator Posts: 5,132 Part of The Furniture
    edited July 2023
    Thank you for sharing your tips @kaii. Is there anything which has been helping you whilst you have been experiencing the same? :) Definitely don't give up! You will get there eventually. Though, at the time it can feel like you are stuck and will never find something.

It brings even more joy when you eventually have that "yes". In fact, it is something I experienced this year so I can also relate. It is a really ecstatic feeling when you finally hear the "yes" you never saw coming and sometimes can be even better than you can imagine :)
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    kaiikaii Posts: 468 Listening Ear
    @Laura_tigger82, no problem at all, I hope they help! :smile:

Here are a few things which have helped me continue to persevere:

- remembering that you're not alone in getting rejections

- reminding yourself that if you don't get a job in the end, it doesn't reflect your self-worth and what you're capable of achieving

- don't compare yourself to others, everyone's journey of getting a job is different! (this is super important for me to remember since my friends have part-time jobs)

- the difficulty you experience now will benefit you in the long-term, since after finishing uni, it can be difficult to get a graduate job, so people might give up right away since they'll be receiving a lot of rejections. So the resilience you develop now can make you less likely to give up immediately when it comes to applying for future jobs (you could say that this develops character ^^)

All the hardship will all be temporary - everything will work out for us in the end <3
    cinnamoroll supremacy : )
  • Options
    Laura_tigger82Laura_tigger82 Moderator Posts: 5,132 Part of The Furniture
    This is really powerful @kaii. Thank you for sharing this with us - I especially like the resilience, determination and character development you have drawn on there! <3
  • Options
    AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,895 Extreme Poster
    Hey @IainJammyboy - I hear you. job hunting is a really difficult process. I agree with what's been said above - perseverance is the key, keep filing those applications and eventually you'll get a rub of the green. It's particularly difficult at the moment due to the cost of living situation, so businesses aren't hiring as much as usual. Keep doing what you can to ensure your application is in the best condition it can be in, and keep working on your interview skills.

Remember not to take rejections to heart too much - it hurts a lot at first, but I find it useful to think about it more as a mismatch than a rejection. Usually, it's not that you're a bad candidate, but that you're not the right match for the role. That mindset helps you to feel less like they're rejecting you as a person, and instead that if this isn't a match, then another role will a better one. I wish you the best of luck in your job hunt - keep us posted on how you get on, we're all here to cheer you on!
  • Options
    indievioletindieviolet Posts: 40 Boards Initiate
    @IainJammyboy that sounds like a really frustrating situation, finding a job is a stressful process. Especially at this time of year, with people getting summer jobs there may be more applicants than jobs, which makes things trickier.

In my experience, most fast food jobs did not require any experience, maybe that's worth a try? Even if you don't particularly like a job it can give you experience for your CV to help you apply to future jobs.

Don't let rejections from jobs get you down, there will be a job out there for you if you're patient and keep trying. Best of luck! :)
  • Options
    libbystrawberrylibbystrawberry Community Champion Posts: 597 Incredible Poster
    I can't even apply to become a part time cleaner - to get a job you need experience, and to get experience you need a job. I give up lmao

its very annoying @IainJammyboy i think to get experience u can do work experience where u like work for free for say a week so that u can get exper\ience, i dont think it guarantees a job but it probably helps
    'told myself that you were right for me, but felt so lonely in your company'
  • Options
    yanayana Community Champion Posts: 1,281 Wise Owl
    omg my mum refuses to let me get a job or volunteer somewhere, I just wanna get out of the house 😭
    my brain is not braining the way brains are meant to brain
  • Options
    Hey @Xee, it sounds like a frustrating situation. Do you know why your mum doesn't want you to get a job or voluntary role? If you could, what role would you like to try out? :)
  • Options
    PetiteQuarkPetiteQuark Posts: 47 Boards Initiate
    edited August 2023

I can relate to that, because im also trying to look for a job...

Ive finished year 11 around 2/3 months ago and ive been struggling to find a part time job either its way too far away (i dont have a car or an oyster yet) or they dont let 16 y/os or require alot of experience, ive decided to maybe look for a job another time since i dont *have* to work right now, i know maybe thats a bit different when you're an adult and getting a job is more important since you have to become more independent and earn your own money.

Volunteering is also a good idea because it shows that you want to help others even if you don't really earn any money from it, (but yes, sometimes finding volunteer jobs is also difficult, because sometimes all volunteering jobs are all taken!)

But don't give up! maybe try going to shops/cafes/ restaurants etc in person and asking them if there are any jobs available? Asking in person is alot better than going to indeed or looking for places online?

Sometimes, opportunities come when you least expect it
  • Options
    Heya @PetiteQuark, that's some great advice! Volunteering is always a good idea, and often charity shops struggle to get enough volunteers - hopefully something is available in the area. You also mention a really good point - not all job vacancies are posted neatly on a website. Sometimes they aren't publicised at all, so asking in person can be a great way to find roles in your local area.

How is your own job search going? What kind of roles are you looking for?