Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Homeless and feeling the pinch

dollymixdollymix Posts: 18 Settling in
I am in homeless housing now in a built up area and am living solely on universal credit long term as I cant work due to mental health issues and I'm waiting for a decision for limited capability which takes months and months. and out of what I get I must pay off the advancement I claimed for to survive the 5 weeks they make you wait, for food, toiletries, electricity and anything else I want or need.
There's quite a number of big supermarkets about and I've shopped at various ones to work out which is cheapest. The very basic items lower/lowest in price are always sold out And even if they appear as though theyre in stock online, im then missing half my shop on delivery. My diet is restricted due to the cost and food banks wont help unless I only have a few pennies in my bank account. The system feels so cruel. Im not sure what I'm trying to say

Comments

• Options
    Laura_tigger82Laura_tigger82 Moderator Posts: 5,120 Part of The Furniture
    Hey @dollymix. A warm welcome to The Mix’s community. You have been really brave in reaching out to us and sharing this with us.

Have you used the benefits calculators available, just to make sure you are receiving all that you are eligible for? I hear you that you are stuck within a long waiting process, unfortunately.

Some other things you might helpful are:

- Food and toiletries – your local youth advisory centres
    - Electricity – Scope’s energy support

Would anything else help things to feel less cruel and more manageable for you at the moment? We are here for you and with you <3
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    Terry8936Terry8936 Posts: 271 The Mix Regular
    @dollymix , It sounds like you're going through a really tough time. It can be incredibly frustrating and demoralizing to feel like the system isn't working in your favor. Here are some suggestions that might be helpful:
    1. Look into local food banks: There may be other local food banks that are more flexible. It's worth doing some research to see if there are other options available.
    2. Consider meal planning: Meal planning can help you make the most of your budget and ensure that you have enough food to last throughout the week.
    3. Check out discount stores
    4. Reach out to support groups: There may be support groups or charities in your area that can offer additional assistance. These groups may be able to provide resources and guidance on navigating the system and accessing necessary support.
    5. Practice self-care: It's important to take care of yourself, both physically and mentally, during this difficult time. Try to find activities that bring you joy.

Remember that you are not alone in this, and that there are resources available to help you. Keep reaching out for support, and don't give up hope.

I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    @Laura_tigger82 shockingly I am recieving all the benefit I'm entitled to for now, I'll see what they say about the LCW, but I am almost certain I will have to appeal it when I eventually get the result.
    @Terry8936 Luckily for me food is more affordable now, my meters been switched and I'm paying a nominal fee.

My brain doesnt really work right now but I wanted to leave a reply
  • Options
    This sounds really difficult for you at the moment @dollymix, especially as you are apparently receiving all the benefits you are entitled to for now :/

Hopefully, the LCW will go well. How are you feeling about maybe having to appeal it? We are all here for you and listening to you if you would like to share more with us.

It sounds really positive that food is, at least, more affordable for you now and your meter has been switched which has reduced the fee.

Sending you hugs and extending a listening ear should you wish to talk about any of this further <3
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    @Laura_tigger82

I have a diganosed disability that effects people differently, In my case it is more severe, I cant work on somebody elses schedule and would need to do it in my own time. I left abuse, my mental health is really unstable and I got a CAHMS appointment in a matter weeks of being reffered. I have a counseller and I'm doing CBT. I've been getting fit notes, but until I get a result back about the limited capability, they are treating me as though I am temporarily sick, could be working, and are giving me a pittance of universal credit to reflect that. It's not intended to be lived on, but no matter the reason for claiming, I think the £260 a month is a disgrace.
    I know this changes things, but I get disability payment too, and for the last few times I've been payed, I've putting it away and acting as though I dont have it because my work coach is heading towards sanctioning me since I wont go in so she can see me in person. I literally dont go out at all for anything because my anxiety is so severe. She knows this but i get the feeling she doesnt believe me
    Post edited by dollymix on
  • Options
    It is really positive to hear you recognise what works better for you @dollymix. It sounds like you have been through a really difficult time, though positive that you have now got access to CAMHS, counselling and CBT.

How is all of this going for you at the moment? We are here for you and listening to you if you would like to share more with us. Your circumstances are completely validated, even if they do not feel like it by other people (e.g., the health system with fit notes and your work coach).

Do you feel able to raise it with them that you don't go out/cannot go out due to your anxiety? Especially if you have evidence from your doctor, you should be able to get a telephone appointment or something similar. We believe you and are here with you <3
  • Options
    They made it hard for me and stressful.
    Now ive had a result back to say i have LCWRA
  • Options
    ebyrne556ebyrne556 Moderator Posts: 831 Part of The Mix Family
    Im hearing how stressful and hard they made it for you and well done for getting through the process. Ah ok how are you feeling about the result? Hopefully it can help a bit.. Take care
  • Options
    ebyrne556 wrote: »
    Im hearing how stressful and hard they made it for you and well done for getting through the process. Ah ok how are you feeling about the result? Hopefully it can help a bit.. Take care

The result i feel is fitting, i can barely function or sleep, there are so many reasons I cant work. They said theyve decided i have lcwra i think on the 14th of june but didnt pay me on the 28th when i got my universal credit so they will owe me for that i think when i next get payed