Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Tips for staying cool (pls help)

JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,313 Part of The Furniture
It's that time of year again. What are your top tips for not cooking in the heat?

Keeping your extremeties wet works well for me (arms, legs, hair, etc).
The truth resists simplicity.

Comments

• Options
    yanayana Community Champion Posts: 1,277 Wise Owl
    ICE CREAM!! Also there are these ice pole things my mum bought recently omg they're great and so refreshing, u can get sugar free ones too I had like three of them in a row yesterday xD
    my brain is not braining the way brains are meant to brain
  • Options
    Amy22Amy22 Posts: 3,998 Community Veteran
    Ice cream is a must in this weather. Thank god I got a local ice cream bar in my area so I can get ice cream when I'm out. Also, plenty of water can help too and also a big fan xd. I know I'll be getting my fan out real soon .
    Just a person who likes pop culture and films
  • Options
    Millie2787Millie2787 Community Champion Posts: 5,147 Part of The Furniture
    I’ve actually found keeping blinds and curtains and outdoor doors closed and the indoor doors open helps to keep things cool by stopping the sun heating up the room and allowing the cooler air in the house to circulate.

I also have a USB fan that I run during the night 😂
    Sometimes all you need is one person to believe in you , for you to begin to believe in yourself.
  • Options
    jess63jess63 Posts: 287 The Mix Regular
    Sleeping with an ice pack wrapped in a towel helps a lot, again agree with keeping windows shut during the day and open them at night. Ice poles during the day, drink loads of water and stay in the shade.
    The steps you take don't have to be big, they just need to take you in the right direction.
  • Options
    sinead276sinead276 Posts: 1,050 Wise Owl
    gotta agree with keeping doors closed where possible so that the warm air from outside doesn't start to further heat up the house. also who can say no to an ice cream or lolly in this weather :3
  • Options
    JJLemon18JJLemon18 Community Champion Posts: 1,926 Extreme Poster
    Ugh this heat has been such a pain these last two days. I totally agree that ice cream is great... actually ice cream is always great! I'm so jealous of your local ice cream bar @Amy22!
    Now I have to convince my family to keep all the windows closed, today they opened every window possible...
    Thanks for the tips y'all!
    Believe in me - who believes in you
  • Options
    IainJammyboyIainJammyboy Posts: 932 Part of The Mix Family
    I'm barely surviving up here in Scotland lmao
  • Options
    CaniceQCaniceQ Posts: 122 The Mix Convert
    I am dying. I hate the heat. I am sensitive to the sun. Ughhhhhh, I hate this time of year. Though, thanks for the tips, I'm definitely going to open the windows at night.
    CaniceQ
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    JJLemon18 wrote: »
    Ugh this heat has been such a pain these last two days. I totally agree that ice cream is great... actually ice cream is always great! I'm so jealous of your local ice cream bar @Amy22!
    Now I have to convince my family to keep all the windows closed, today they opened every window possible...
    Thanks for the tips y'all!

Its the best thing in my area I think lol
  • Options
    AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,858 Extreme Poster
    Make sure to drink plenty of water! Dehydration happens a lot during these months, and drinking up keeps your body and health in a good place.

When you're going outside, try to avoid the middle of the day when the temperatures are higher and the sunlight is stronger. And stick to the shade - whether that's outdoors (under a tree) or even indoors (away from windows and direct sunlight).
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    Also I just recently saw something on Instagram about staying cool in the hot weather and it also concerns those taking any type of medication. If you are a medication user like myself make sure to stay hydrated and drink plenty of liquid as the weather can make you overheat and feel warm.
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    @JJLemon18 same my family refuse to keep the windows closed lol
  • Options
    aah also i had the nicest cold shower today i just wanted to stay in the nice cool water forever
  • Options
    I need to make a very huge bucket that I can send up into space and then cool the Earth down.
  • Options
    StephanieStephanie Moderator Posts: 1,084 Wise Owl
    Amy22 wrote: »
    Also I just recently saw something on Instagram about staying cool in the hot weather and it also concerns those taking any type of medication. If you are a medication user like myself make sure to stay hydrated and drink plenty of liquid as the weather can make you overheat and feel warm.

I recently found out about how certain medications can make you more suspectable to the heat. I didn't know that. Explains a lot though. I really struggle with the heat.

Not really got any tips to share @JustV but hope you are surviving the heat.
                                   "Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times if only one remembers to turn on the light" - Albus Dumbledore 

"Like when I was down you just had that smile that made me feel like everything's worthwhile. Thinking of the day when you went away, what a life to take, what a bond to break, I'll be missing you"

FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    Oh, I've got something cool I figured lately. If you put some fruit in the fridge (preferably juicy), and then eat them when your feeling hot, they hit sooo different! Like two days ago I almost ate a whole box (big box) of strawberries because they were so good and refreshing! I don't think I've ever enjoyed strawberries this much haha
  • Options
    Oh, I've got something cool I figured lately. If you put some fruit in the fridge (preferably juicy), and then eat them when your feeling hot, they hit sooo different! Like two days ago I almost ate a whole box (big box) of strawberries because they were so good and refreshing! I don't think I've ever enjoyed strawberries this much haha

I have also heard of that too and apparently if you put sugar with grapes and mix them around and freeze them. They are like eating a healthy version of sour candy apparently. I haven't tried it yet but I really want to :tongue:
  • Options
    Amy22 wrote: »

I have also heard of that too and apparently if you put sugar with grapes and mix them around and freeze them. They are like eating a healthy version of sour candy apparently. I haven't tried it yet but I really want to :tongue:

@Amy22 Oooh, I think I've heard of that too before. I'm so curious to try it now. Thanks!