Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Triggered at work

Kate_20Kate_20 Posts: 653 Incredible Poster
My colleague is very open about her mental health at work and often goes into uncomfortable triggering details. These details are upsetting to hear and I am worried about her safety. I feel like my mental health is deteriorating because of being triggered. I am spiralling down. I have already suggested professional help for her but she doesn't want to listen.
Tengo el alma en cuarentena y roto el cuerpo
Qué dolor, qué pena y qué tormento
El Kanka - Lo mal que estoy y lo poco que me quejo

Comments

• Options
    genderless_fungigenderless_fungi Moderator Posts: 155 Helping Hand
    Hi @Kate_20

Being triggered in a place where you're supposed to feel safe and that you cannot easily leave must be terrible. Since she's so open about mental health, maybe you could talk to her about how the situation is making you feel. I know that having these types of conversations with coworkers can feel very uncomfortable since people aren't usually really that close, but given the fact that she feels so strongly about sharing how she's feeling she might end up being very accommodating and open to the idea of establishing boundaries on what's okay and not okay to talk about in the workplace. Do you thing that that could be a good idea?
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    Kate_20Kate_20 Posts: 653 Incredible Poster
    @genderless_fungi I just can't get myself to do it. I feel like I could be doing it wrong. If I do it wrong it might cost her of her life.
    Tengo el alma en cuarentena y roto el cuerpo
    Qué dolor, qué pena y qué tormento
    El Kanka - Lo mal que estoy y lo poco que me quejo
  • Options
    Terry8936Terry8936 Posts: 271 The Mix Regular
    @Kate_20 I'm sorry to hear that you're facing such a challenging situation at work. It can be difficult to navigate conversations about mental health, especially when they become uncomfortable or triggering for you. Your well-being is important, and it's crucial to prioritize your own mental health in this situation.

You can try to encourage professional help or seek guidance from HR or management. Remember, you are not responsible for managing your colleague's mental health. You can prioritize your own well-being. Taking steps to protect yourself and seeking support are important actions to take.
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    ellie2000ellie2000 Posts: 3,985 Community Veteran
    @Kate_20 feelings rub off on ppl it not Ur job. Urself matter most. Just tell Ur boss about wat Ur worried about and wat is bothering u Nd they'll hopefully sort it 😊
    Crazy mad insane
  • Options
    Laura_tigger82Laura_tigger82 Moderator Posts: 5,120 Part of The Furniture
    Thank you for being supportive @ellie2000. As you say, taking care of someone else's emotions is not your job @Kate_20. You deserve to feel comfortable at work, just as much as anyone else :)