Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Feeling worried

FordRangerFordRanger Posts: 1,341 Wise Owl
I've been worrying about the usual stuff again like I worry a lot about my career, jobs etc regularly. Like I mention it a lot in the group chat that life seems hard. I feel like lifes just going to work in the morning most days then working till late evening then coming home then maybe having the weekends off, it feels like that what life is on repeatedly. Just working Monday to Friday 9 to 5 atleast, just getting up on a Monday to go to work then coming home in the evening then the same thing everyday until the weekend (that's if you get it off which a lot of people dont), then it comes back to Monday again and it's the same circle over again for years. Like that's minimum these days to put food on the table, a lot of people have to do way more working around 12 hours or more daily, 2 or 3 jobs just to make a living. I was just thinking about it earlier and in general I do.

I don't not want to work like being unemployed is worse unless you can't work obviously. I dont like saying it, feel embarrassed to say it but I technically am unemployed now which sucks like I feel like a failure often, I just think what's my actual purpose and like im wasting my life away. Like if your unemployed you are just going to get bored everyday. It is a fear about being unemployed though. I just feel like that's what life is though doing the above or being unemployed. People do have careers that they like or just make money but it feels unrealistic for me. I feel incapable of hustles and different careers. I worry what realistically I want to do.

Comments

• Options
    leyla26leyla26 Moderator Posts: 3,572 Community Veteran
    @FordRanger Life is hard I think, it's things people don't always talk about how a 9-5 can be stressful and miserable a lot of the time and can get tedious and boring. It can make you wonder what's the point of getting a job to make enough money just to live but not even spend much of that money on actually enjoying life. I have thoughts like that too and it's sad but I don't really think there's an answer, but I truly believe we can all try and find happiness and enjoyment in the moments that are ours, when we aren;t working. I know you say you feel like a failure, but so so so many people are in the exact same situation as you, people of all ages and from all kinds of backgrounds too. Society is screwed like that, especially at the moment. But life isn't going to be determined based on the first job you have, and none of these things fully define you even if it feels like it. It's harder than ever before, parents don't realise just how hard it's got these days to even think about moving out. Purpose isn't set in stone, your purpose might be different at different times in your life, at the moment it might be working out what you enjoy, maybe later it will be finding something new, or having kids or settling down etc. You have a life ahead of you and none of it is set in stone or can be fully predicted. I'm sorry you're struggling, it is all very stressful and I really do empathise with you and I bet lots of people read this and nod their heads because it's very relatable. But I believe you'll find something, even if no-one knows exactly what it is yet!
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    MaisyMaisy Moderator Posts: 653 Incredible Poster
    I agree with @leyla26

The daily grind of going to work every day, 9-5, can get monotonous. But what you might not see is that many people have a long term goal or a purpose of their life. That could be anything from having kids, to owning your own property, setting up a business, travelling etc., whatever you feel you want from life that gives you something to aim for and makes the daily grind worthwhile. In the short term, you can also try to find things that you are grateful for or that make you happy on a daily basis, even if they are just small things.

Many people are unemployed for a variety of reasons and it's quite common to feel embarrassed about being unemployed. But it doesn't mean that you are a failure. While it may feel like you are wasting time, you aren't....perhaps you can use this time to figure out what you want from life and how to go about achieving that?

I think it's understandable that you worry about being unemployed, especially if you feel incapable of things or worry about what you can do, realistically. But part of what might help is trying things to see what you like or what you can do. You might also want to talk to someone who can offer careers advice to help you find things that work for you, if possible.

Hope this helps a bit :)
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    emiip98emiip98 Moderator Posts: 132 The Mix Convert
    Hi @FordRanger

Working life can be so draining we all feel the effects sometimes and it does seem repetitive so you're not alone there. What keeps most people going is having goals and life achievements to make it all worthwhile, whether this be careers goals, buying a house, having children or saving up for something you really want/would like to do. Having goals and enjoyment outside of work is what keeps people going as that is what gives them a purpose. Have you thought about what this would be for you?

• Options
    FordRangerFordRanger Posts: 1,341 Wise Owl
    eparker98 wrote: »
    Hi @FordRanger

Working life can be so draining we all feel the effects sometimes and it does seem repetitive so you're not alone there. What keeps most people going is having goals and life achievements to make it all worthwhile, whether this be careers goals, buying a house, having children or saving up for something you really want/would like to do. Having goals and enjoyment outside of work is what keeps people going as that is what gives them a purpose. Have you thought about what this would be for you?

Hi, sorry for the late reply. I have thought about them but it's just if I'm in some job I dont like most days of my life then I might not be in the mood to do stuff like my hobbies and all that. That's how it used to be when I used to go college like I didnt want to do stuff I enjoyed coz I wasn't in the mood to like on a college day.