Home Work & Study It's Exam Time
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Revision advice?

Past UserPast User Definition of a mental mess and a certified lost cause :)EnglandPosts: 0 Just got here
The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• Options
    ebyrne556ebyrne556 Moderator Posts: 839 Part of The Mix Family
    edited March 2023
    Hi @LorryTruck How has your weekend been? Ah exam time not a fun time for anyone. Ive a few tips that I tried to stick 2 when i was doing my exams.

Firstly revision timetables. I know these can be quite overwhelming but even just a simple one splitting up the days into 1/2 subjects or topics depending on how much time you have that day and a rough check list of what you want covered can help you to stay on track.

Another tip would be to prioritise the stuff you find challenging to learn and spend more time on those topics or even the subjects you dont like first. You could always balance 1 subject you dont like and one that you find ok.This can help with motivation as well.

As you have probably heard before looking after yourself and having scheduled breaks is really important. Set regular alarms for snack breaks and make sure to also keep up the hydration levels.Also No all nighters even if you feel they are needed sleep is key lol ! Make sure you have some time to yourself and time to rest and recharge otherwise burnt out is more likely.

Experimenting with different revision techniques could also be useful.I find that different subjects have different styles that suit for example maths and science are mostly just practice questions but for English i find mind maps and essay plans work best. Most important thing is to find what works best for you and there might even be multiple methods for more than one subject.

Finally i would recommend starting with the harder stuff when you wake up or earlier on in the day as your brain is more alert and it will be easier to learn new things. Then if your revising in the evening recapping what you have covered by watching videos on the subject or reading over notes,doing quizlet’s etc (more passive revision) is more helpful at this point as it can be really hard to learn new stuff when your brain is more tired, However you might be a night person so it’s really whatever works best for you.

Hopefully these are helpful! Im sure theyre are more that i missed haha Good luck for your exams we are all rooting for
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    Laura_tigger82Laura_tigger82 Moderator Posts: 5,133 Part of The Furniture
    Hey @LorryTruck. Thank you for reaching out to us, I can hear you are struggling to focus on revision at the moment.

The only things I would add to @ebyrne556's response are:

- Are you able to identify what's making you struggle to focus on revision at the moment? Often this helps us to put the things in place that work best for us
    - The pomodoro technique! This was my go to

We are all here for you if you would like to talk this through further. Otherwise, we are wishing you all the best of luck <3
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    Past UserPast User Definition of a mental mess and a certified lost cause :) EnglandPosts: 0 Just got here
  • Options
    It certainly sounds like doing things to support yourself, such as going for runs at the weekend, are helpful @LorryTruck.

How long are your study sessions overall, are you having at least 1 X 1/3 time block off each day? (for example, evenings but this could also be mornings or afternoons).

As much as revision is important, it is also key you are doing things to take care of yourself and having regular breaks.

Knowing when you are most focused and 'in flow' is also important because you can assign difficult work and the most important work for then, as @ebyrne556 indicated.

Phone and computer notifications are also important to be mindful of, sometimes they can be useful but other times they can be very distracting and it is key to monitor this for you <3
  • Options
    Past UserPast User Definition of a mental mess and a certified lost cause :) EnglandPosts: 0 Just got here
  • Options
    I completely hear you @LorryTruck, it is important and really positive that you sound tuned into how you are feeling though.

Something else that can sometimes be helpful is writing a specific 3 goals for the day and reasons why you want to pass the exams / a specific grade in the exams.

Please do let us know if you would like to talk about this further <3
  • Options
    JJLemon18JJLemon18 Community Champion Posts: 1,926 Extreme Poster
    Hey @LorryTruck, sorry I don't have much advice because I also struggle with focusing and revising but the phone being a distraction is something I can relate to a lot. I often use my phone to help me with work and revision so leaving it in another room is not really an option. However I did realise that turning off sound and leaving my phone out of sight (even just behind my laptop screen) is enough to help me not think about picking it up too often.
    Take care!
    Believe in me - who believes in you
  • Options