Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Profile pics

JJLemon18JJLemon18 Community Champion Posts: 1,926 Extreme Poster
Hi I have a few questions about profile pictures both here and on messaging apps in general. Some of these may sound stupid but I would really like to know.

First of all, how normal is it to keep changing profile images? I don't really see many people changing their profile picture often but I personally get bored really quickly having the same stuff and I feel the need to keep changing it just so it feels fresh. Many people usually find one image or photo and just stay with it almost forever (at least from what I observed) but I can never decide on anything, especially something I know I wouldn't really be able to change in the future. However I do understand why changing profile images often might get confusing.

Another question, this time more specifically about messaging apps (say whatsapp for example). Every single person that I know has either no profile picture or a photo of themselves or some animal. I am literally the only one who's picture is some abstract image (think of some profile image you might find on The Mix for example), is that normal? It seems to me that since it's a messaging app people tend to use their face as a way to show the other person what they look like, and the people who don't want to (like me) will not have any image at all. It does feel weird as my image really stands out among all the photos in a group chat. What are your guys thoughts about this?
Believe in me - who believes in you

Comments

• Options
    SpaceOtterSpaceOtter Community Champion Posts: 844 Part of The Mix Family
    Heya jjlemon, Happy saturday!

They dont sound stupid at all. I overthink things alot too and i find here a really good place to ask those kind of questions.
    First of all, how normal is it to keep changing profile images?
    I believe its perfectly ok to change it whenever you feel like it. Some people change it alot and others keep the same one for a long time , and either is totally ok. If youre worried about it getting confusing maybe you could keep some type of theme. Like cars or your favourite animal or landscapes.

I am literally the only one who's picture is some abstract image (think of some profile image you might find on The Mix for example), is that normal?
    That sounds completely ok. If its what makes you happy and if its what you want. Theres no obligation to have an animal or yourself.

Sending lots of hugs <3
    You're awesome!
  • Options
    Heya @SpaceOtter, Happy Saturday to you too!
    They dont sound stupid at all. I overthink things alot too and i find here a really good place to ask those kind of questions.
    Ever since I joined here I've been thinking of so many bizarre questions that I never really had the chance to ask anyone haha. Thanks for replying.

I was actually thinking of having the same image but just changing the colour hue from time to time so I will probably go with that.
    That sounds completely ok. If its what makes you happy and if its what you want. Theres no obligation to have an animal or yourself.

My reasoning behind the profile photos is that, I don't really know how to say it, its not really appropriate I guess? For example for a wedding you would wear formal clothes, so in comparison it would be like I went to a wedding in flip flops instead of formal shoes, there is no one stopping me but it just doesn't fit if that makes sense.
    I know its not that much of a deal and it's definitely not comparable to a wedding but I just can't seem to find a better example to explain my thinking behind it.
    If only there was at least one other person with some random image, but no its just me. I'm in a group chat with 45 other people and everyone is the same, no picture or selfie (and there's one with a cat). That is why I'm questioning this so much.

Also speaking of profile images I got to say I really like yours. I'm really fascinated by space and I love otters (I think they're one of the coolest animals) so I think yours is really cool. Just thought I'd mention it.

Hope you are well! :)
  • Options
    ebyrne556ebyrne556 Moderator Posts: 839 Part of The Mix Family
    Hey @JJLemon18 How has your weekend been?Hope it has been ok so far.Firstly echoing what @SpaceOtter said before the questions arent stupid at all and im really glad you feel you can ask us for advice!

Personally i think your profile picture is really cheery and brightens up the page especially with the yellow but i can understand how you may be feeling confused on how normal it is to change your picture. It can make it a bit confusing mabye as people might associate your profile with that picture if that makes sense however it is down to what you feel like doing . Mabye as you say changing the colour can spice it up enough or you could change it every few week depending on how you’re feeling. Did someone say something that has made you feel that it sticks out?

Ah ok so around the messaging apps i can understand how you might feel that your image stands out.I think it’s totally down to preference and i know a lot of my friends dont choose pictures of themselves instead have pictures of things they like or just blank people. It also does help keep a sense of Anonymity even in WhatsApp when numbers can add you that you may not know so it does keep you safe in a way as well. Try not to worry too much i think your profile picture on here is really cool and im sure on WhatsApp it is ok as well. Im sure those in the group chat may not have noticed

Thanks for reaching out again and take the very best care and i Hope this helps a bit
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    Hey @ebyrne556, my weekend has been meh, I've done literally nothing so far so its safe to say it isn't great. I hope your weekend is going well!
    Personally i think your profile picture is really cheery and brightens up the page especially with the yellow

Oh no, I feel so bad now... I haven't actually changed it yet, was hoping to do it today. The one I'm thinking of is basically the opposite, this one feels too cheery for me :sweat_smile: sorry I'm often hard to understand haha
    Did someone say something that has made you feel that it sticks out?

In general no one said anything about my profile pictures, I'm just making the observations myself.

Anyways, thank you for replying. Hope you have a great day! Take care! :)
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Hi @JJLemon18 Sorry to hear your weekend has been meh if you want to chat about it you know where we are. Mines been pretty chill which is just what was needed haha.

Dont worry at all and please don’t apologise.Sorry if i misunderstood you i just really like it haha but im sure your other picture will be great as well .Ah well theirs no rush on changing it just when and if you want to.You’ve actually made me think about changing mine haha.

Im glad that no one has said anything about it that’s made you feel that it sticks out tho but try not to feel any pressure about changing it

Thank you you 2 you know where we r as always
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    Thank you @ebyrne556, its okay don't worry about it. I'm glad your weekend was chill.
    I don't want to have the default image because its harder to tell who's me since a lot of people have this one.
    What are you thinking of changing yours to? Your current one is really cute!
  • Options
    Ah yeh you’re right quite a lot do have this one its nice but totally understandable so you can be more distinctive

Hmm im not sure hah thx it is cute, its also my lock screen and Home Screen on my phone tho so mabye im just sick of seeing it everyday and ill change it their instead

Time will tell haha
    Hope you have a good day
  • Options
    @ebyrne556 mine is on my home screen too haha
    Take care!
  • Options
    Hmm I get the message "By uploading a file you certify that you have the right to distribute this picture". I'm not sure I have the rights, I doubt it. I just found the image on the internet and I dont know how much I should worry about it. Just wanting to be 100% sure.
  • Options
    Past UserPast User Definition of a mental mess and a certified lost cause :) EnglandPosts: 0 Just got here
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    Thank you @LorryTruck. If anything then I'll blame it on you haha (I'm kidding)
    Hope you are well!