Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Social Media - Kind of a rant

Amy22Amy22 Posts: 3,998 Community Veteran
edited February 2023 in Sex & Relationships
Hi, I don't really want to bring too much into this post but I just wanted to mention something about social media. So I was on Facebook today and I saw a post that a friend re-shared which was of a dog that got rescued. I clicked to like it but somehow Facebook sent me a notification saying that I abused the Facebook guidelines and that I would be temporaily banned for 24 hours. I know I re-shared a humour post which contained a bit of dark humour so I don't know whether it extended from that.

Honestly I don't if it is just me or it is whenever someone re-shares something or posts about good things happening or even showing support, they get shut down for it. But it is okay for others to post negative stuff online and it almost goes over the heads of the people running the social media companies. Why is it the good people get blamed for doing the right thing?. I feel maybe I might have been impulsive today and maybe I liked too many things. I'm not sure if I done anything wrong. I feel like I made a mistake again. Why is it that I have an impulsive nature. What is wrong with me?.

Sorry for the rant, I don't want to go into it too much as knowing me this is just me overthinking again.
Just a person who likes pop culture and films
Post edited by Laura_tigger82 on

Comments

• Options
    Laura_tigger82Laura_tigger82 Moderator Posts: 5,120 Part of The Furniture
    Hey @Amy22. You have done such a great job reaching out to us.

You haven't done anything wrong but I have moved your post to sex and relationships. My thinking is that your post is more about social relationships/networking than health and well-being and more people will, hopefully, see and respond to your post by moving it to this category.

It sounds really difficult and frustrating that you are not sure where the ban stems from. As you have identified, there are many factors which might have fed into this action and response from Facebook and this makes it difficult to narrow down to a particular cause.

I would always echo that you can report posts on Facebook if this is something you would like to do, particularly posts that break Facebook's guidelines. It sounds like you feel the action and response are almost unfair and disproportionate. Am I hearing that right?

Also, would you like to share a little more with us about how you are currently feeling? We all care about you and are here for you and listening to you <3
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    Hey @Amy22. You have done such a great job reaching out to us.

You haven't done anything wrong but I have moved your post to sex and relationships. My thinking is that your post is more about social relationships/networking than health and well-being and more people will, hopefully, see and respond to your post by moving it to this category.

It sounds really difficult and frustrating that you are not sure where the ban stems from. As you have identified, there are many factors which might have fed into this action and response from Facebook and this makes it difficult to narrow down to a particular cause.

I would always echo that you can report posts on Facebook if this is something you would like to do, particularly posts that break Facebook's guidelines. It sounds like you feel the action and response are almost unfair and disproportionate. Am I hearing that right?

Also, would you like to share a little more with us about how you are currently feeling? We all care about you and are here for you and listening to you <3

Ah thank you so much @Laura_tigger82 I was very unsure of where to put my post and where it would lie with the boards. I don't know but I am maybe a little annoyed as I felt like I didn't do anything wrong and sometimes for some reason Facebook likes to ban people for doing the right and people who post negative posts kinda get away with it. I don't know I kinda needed to have a rant really
  • Options
    Laura_tigger82Laura_tigger82 Moderator Posts: 5,120 Part of The Furniture
    It is really positive that you felt able to rant here @Amy22. I really hear your frustrations about the morals and it sometimes seems unfair :/ How have things been for you more recently? <3
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    It is really positive that you felt able to rant here @Amy22. I really hear your frustrations about the morals and it sometimes seems unfair :/ How have things been for you more recently? <3

Hey @Laura_tigger82 things have been better I can access my Facebook account now and I have been a little bit better. It's that I find that the way social media is run could be run better personally. I don't know I like coming on here to talk as I guess I feel comfortable and that people won't find me odd or talking about something silly (I don't know if they are the right words really to use). But I am much better. Thank you though for helping me :)
  • Options
    support_squad23support_squad23 Posts: 113 The Mix Convert
    Hi @Amy22

I'm glad to see that you feel comfortable talking here, we are here to listen and support you. There is no shame in having a vent or asking questions to gain some more clarity, so I'm pleased this feels accessible.

That's great to hear that you are able to access your Facebook account now. It makes sense that this has made you feel a bit better.

Take care!
  • Options
    Thank you @support_squad23