Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

How are you celebrating the Lunar New Year?

AislingDMAislingDM Moderator Posts: 1,666 Extreme Poster
Just wondering if anyone celebrates and what they do? Or just any information anyone wants to share about it :)
FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.

Comments

• Options
    Laura_tigger82Laura_tigger82 Moderator Posts: 5,132 Part of The Furniture
    Thanks for initiating this thread @AislingDM. I don't celebrate the Lunar New Year - it is the first time I have heard of it.

However, it sounds interesting! And I would be intrigued to hear anyone's experiences if anyone does celebrate it :)
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    sinead276sinead276 Posts: 1,086 Wise Owl
    I also don't celebrate it personally but if anyone does I'd love to hear stories about it. I've seen stuff in past years about celebrations and stuff and it looks like fun :relieved:
  • Options
    ebyrne556ebyrne556 Moderator Posts: 856 Part of The Mix Family
    Ive heard of it but definetly would be intrested to find out more
  • Options
    Laura_tigger82Laura_tigger82 Moderator Posts: 5,132 Part of The Furniture
    Ooh, what sort of stuff have you seen about it @sinead276? Please educate me B)
  • Options
    Amy22Amy22 Posts: 4,058 Community Veteran
    I have heard of Lunar new year but I don't really celebrate it. I'd love to find out some more about it though.
    Just a person who likes pop culture and films
  • Options
    From what I can remember (and a quick google search to check my memory) it is equivalent to 'Chinese New Year' so many cities (even here in the UK) have celebrations in the streets with lanterns and big dragon puppets - I'll attach some pictures from my google search as well :joy:

2023 is also the year of the rabbit (although I don't actually know enough to say what meaning that brings)

7a6jo9c4oxuj.jpg
    98tb23bk21aj.jpg
  • Options
    I think I actually recoginse that festival now as I might have studied it in school. They often have puppetiers to perform the role of a dragon. I think the dragon is supposed to represent the new year. Im not entirely sure if this is it but I have also heard that it is year of the rabbit too. Sadly, Im year of the horse (I'm a 2002 kid aha) so fingers crossed we'll have year of the horse. To anyone whose zodiac is the rabbit, I hope you are enjoying new year and to everyone in general as well. :)
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Aha, I just googled my chinese zodiac and apprently the next year of the horse is in 2026 :lol: So its a long way off yet
  • Options
    I think I also did i a bit about it in school but only the odd lesson as far as I can remember

I also had a google to see my chinese zodiac animal and apparently I'm the year of the snake (2001 baby) so the next time it is my year is 2025
  • Options
    AislingDMAislingDM Moderator Posts: 1,666 Extreme Poster
    Glad to see so many people interested to learn about celebrations with which they are not too familiar !!

Yes @sinead276 lots of people in Western countries call it Chinese New year because i believe the origins of the celebrations are from there, but lots of countries, like South Korea partake in the celebrations, as well as celebrating the New Year on january 1st which is so cool!

I love looking up people's zodiacs too @Amy22 and seeing if they feel it fits with who they are, like star signs in some ways, I guess? I think it's lovely to see families come together and celebrate and express their love for one another, so if anyone knows more about different celebrations that would be awesome!!