Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Don't know what to do

FordRangerFordRanger Posts: 1,271 Wise Owl
I've finished college, ive been there for a few years, i i havent liked it, i found it a bit boring like its legit just dead. Before i started college, i was doing nothing, i did star a course but i quit because i didn't like it and at home most of my days so i thought i need to do something so went to back the college because i didn't want to be at home doing nothing anymore. I stayed in college a few years even though i didn't like it because I wanted to be doing something. I finished now in college, i dont want to go back because i haven't liked it much at all every year i went. Its just now im fucked because im just back to square one like doing nothing and I feel unsure about what i can do.

My mum just wants me to get a job but I just dont want to do anything I don't like. I was going to do this job like food delivery but I would have to get insurance for it which would cost a lot plus fuel prices of deliveries so I don't think I'll actually make anything. There's no point doing it if I'm making fuck all or pottentially even losing. I don't know what else I could do like an apprenticeship but they are hard to get these days, I spoke to people who apply to hundreds but don't get much. Im a bit screwed because I don't know what I'm going to do now ive finished college.

Comments

• Options
    Amy22Amy22 Posts: 3,958 Community Veteran
    Hi @FordRanger. I'm sorry to hear that you struggling at the moment. Finishing college can be a scary thing as it can be hard thinking about what you want to do in the future. I can kinda relate eventhough I'm still in college, the thought of what to do after it can be terrifying. However, I feel like there is still lots of time for you to think about the future as one day, something great might happen. Hmm, do you have any hobbies or interests that could potentially lead into a career pathway for you?. Sometimes when you do a hobby you enjoy as a job, it can be fun.

I also noticed that you mentioned about apprenticeships. Apprenticeships can be be a good thing in a way, as you get experience and sometimes they do pay you alongside learning, which is quite beneficial. I know also that there are websites where you can find jobs on in your local area. I think Indeed is one.

Sending hugs,

Amy22 <3
    Just a person who likes pop culture and films
  • Options
    Ed_Ed_ Moderator Posts: 1,551 Extreme Poster
    Hey @FordRanger - just dropping in to echo what Amy said and also to say that it is totally okay to feel really uncertain about what you want to be doing. There seems to be such a pressure to have a really clear plan that goes from education to a job you love that pays well in a really straight forward way, whereas in reality, this is rarely what happens.

You may want to check out a couple of articles on The Mix as they can talk through some options for finding work. In particular there is this more general one, and then this one on apprenticeships. I would try not to focus too much on other people's negative experiences of finding something, as every person's journey is different, and so if you go into something thinking you won't get it, then it may be a self fulfilling thing.

The other thing that may be worth thinking about is trying some kind of coaching. This can help you to identify what your goals are and work out how you can get there. I am not sure what your gender is, however there are a few options that may be available to you. Generally for anyone, it may be worth taking a look at what the Prince's Trust can offer. If you identify as a woman, then the Young Women's Trust have a range of services that can help with this. I am sure there are a few others that people on the community can recommend too.

Do keep us updated on how things are going, we are all here to talk things through :3

P.s. on a side note, good to see someone repping the NDL on the boards. Long live Ringside :lol:
    FAQHow to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.

• Options
    FordRangerFordRanger Posts: 1,271 Wise Owl
    Ed_ wrote: »
    Hey @FordRanger - just dropping in to echo what Amy said and also to say that it is totally okay to feel really uncertain about what you want to be doing. There seems to be such a pressure to have a really clear plan that goes from education to a job you love that pays well in a really straight forward way, whereas in reality, this is rarely what happens.

You may want to check out a couple of articles on The Mix as they can talk through some options for finding work. In particular there is this more general one, and then this one on apprenticeships. I would try not to focus too much on other people's negative experiences of finding something, as every person's journey is different, and so if you go into something thinking you won't get it, then it may be a self fulfilling thing.

The other thing that may be worth thinking about is trying some kind of coaching. This can help you to identify what your goals are and work out how you can get there. I am not sure what your gender is, however there are a few options that may be available to you. Generally for anyone, it may be worth taking a look at what the Prince's Trust can offer. If you identify as a woman, then the Young Women's Trust have a range of services that can help with this. I am sure there are a few others that people on the community can recommend too.

Do keep us updated on how things are going, we are all here to talk things through :3

P.s. on a side note, good to see someone repping the NDL on the boards. Long live Ringside :lol:

Hi bro. Good advice, I'm a guy btw, I'll have a look at Princess trust, a few people have suggested it to ne. I'll keep you updated too man.

Also hopefully ringside will return lol