Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Sexualization of children

Sholay09Sholay09 Posts: 131 The Mix Convert
Hello I need to know what sexualization of children can do to children?

Comments

• Options
    Lucy307Lucy307 Posts: 1,171 Wise Owl
    Hi @Sholay09 hope you’re doing ok. Will you elaborate a bit on what you mean please, so can make sure the question is understood and answered appropriately 🤗
    Treat yourself as you would treat a good friend
  • Options
    Lucy307 wrote: »
    Hi @Sholay09 hope you’re doing ok. Will you elaborate a bit on what you mean please, so can make sure the question is understood and answered appropriately 🤗

What I mean is that what are the physical and psychological effects of the sexualization of children?
  • Options
    daisyella12daisyella12 Posts: 119 The Mix Convert
    Hi @Sholay09

The psychological effects of sexualization of children can range depending on the type of sexualisation. Anxiety disorders are quite common in children after being sexualised such as PTSD. Is there a reason you would like to know the effects of sexualisation of children?
  • Options
    Hi @Sholay09

The psychological effects of sexualization of children can range depending on the type of sexualisation. Anxiety disorders are quite common in children after being sexualised such as PTSD. Is there a reason you would like to know the effects of sexualisation of children?

It is because I am just curious that is all.
  • Options
    LeilaLeila Posts: 2,064 Boards Champion
    Sholay09 wrote: »
    Hi @Sholay09

It is because I am just curious that is all.

That's okay, you ask as many questions as you wish, so no worries 👍:)!
  • Options
    AislingDMAislingDM Moderator Posts: 1,666 Extreme Poster
    edited May 2022
    Really important question to consider @Sholay09 , firstly so we can prevent abuse and secondly so that we can support anyone who has been victimised xx I know there have been some answers about the psychological impact, which is extremely significant. I just thought I'd mention that as the child/young person continues to grow up their relationship to their sexuality can be impacted by sexualisation. I won't go into too much detail here as it would certainly require a trigger warning, but linked is an article which explains how this might affect children. <3

https://incacs.org/prevention/hyper-sexualization-and-hypo-sexualization-in-abused-youth/
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    AifeAife Community Manager Posts: 3,035 Boards Guru
    There have been some great responses from others since you posted this last week @Sholay09.

The article that @AislingDM shared has a lot of information about the physical and psychological effects of the sexualization of children. I also found some information in an article from a Psychiatrist that talks about the impact on children of sexualization, it's mainly focuses on the impact of sexualization in the media. I've quoted some bits of this article in the spoiler below.

*Trigger warning contains information about the effects of sexualization*
    “There is growing evidence that premature exposure to adult sexual images and values has a negative impact on the psychological development of children, particularly on self-esteem, body image and understanding of sexuality and relationships,” said Professor Newman.
    “Exposure to sexualising messages contributes to girls defining their self-worth and popularity in terms of sexual attractiveness, with negative impact on self-esteem. Excessive focus on appearance and a narrow definition of attractiveness has been found to contribute to the development of abnormal eating behaviours and lack of positive body image. Negative self-image is associated with depression, impaired sexual development in adolescence and poor self-protective behaviours in adolescent relationships,”

There is a significant psychological impact on children who have been sexualized. What are your thoughts on this?

What were your reasons for starting this discussion? Is this an area you're looking for support with yourself?
    Maybe somethings don't get better, but we do. We get stronger. We learn to live with our situations as messy and ugly as they are. We fix what we can and we adapt to what we can't. Maybe some of us will never fully be okay, but at least we're here. We're still trying. We're doing the best we can. That's worth celebrating too ❤