Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

How is everyone getting on with this final stretch?

lucas1_glucas1_g Posts: 15 Settling in
edited March 27 in Work & Study
That time of the year has finally come around. Second year is nearly over, two more assignments to go. How is everyone else getting on? I know it is super stressful but just learn to manage your time, break things down and plan assignments. I have always found coming up with a plan of what I am writing, how many words for each paragraph ect is most beneficial to me.

Feel free to share other strategies you may use to help assist others and maybe even myself!
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    LeilaLeila Posts: 2,064 Boards Champion
    lucas1_g wrote: »
    That time of the year has finally come around. Second year is nearly over, two more assignments to go. How is everyone else getting on? I know it is super stressful but just learn to manage your time, break things down and plan assignments. I have always found coming up with a plan of what I am writing, how many words for each paragraph ect is most beneficial to me.

Feel free to share other strategies you may use to help assist others and maybe even myself!

Hello, Lucas,

This is a lovely thought of a thread to make, very inspirational!

My techniques have to be, to not put pressure on myself, even though I want to do well, I know by stressing myself out that I won't do as well, sleeping at a sensible time before exams is also good, that sounds good!

Leila
  • Options
    DandelionDandelion Posts: 1,911 Extreme Poster
    Hey, I’m now officially three exams away from graduating 😬😬 I honestly don’t even want to think about the number of exams I’ve completed in my life 😂. The only tips I really have is to do whatever works for you as people learn in a bunch of different ways. I tend to find revising in short blocks is useful for me as I keeps me focussed better. And similarly to Leila, not to put pressure on your self your best is good enough and that’s all that matters
    The steps you take don’t need to be big, they just need to take you in the right direction. 
  • Options
    chloe224488chloe224488 Posts: 79 Budding Regular
    For me, I've found the best way to remember facts for my exams is to make flashcards and keep testing yourself on them every day. Although they take a while to complete when you first start, the more you learn them the faster they are to do so I find I can cover a lot of content in a short amount of time.

If I'm trying to motivate myself I find making to-do lists really helpful but make sure that I break big tasks down into smaller simple bullet points (ie. write intro of essay). At the end of the day even if I feel like I haven't done that much I can look at my list and see that I've actually completed quite a lot which helps to keep me motivated over the exam period.

Self-care is also really important so I try not to put too much pressure on myself and instead focus on what I have done instead of what I need to do. I found that making time to go for a walk everyday and see other people also really helps
  • Options
    kaiikaii Posts: 457 Listening Ear
    Hey @lucas1_g , hope you're doing great and that your studies are going well :smile:

I'm almost at the end of my first year in uni and I honestly can't believe it - it went by so fast! I'm gonna start my second year in September :0 I just have two more exams to get through :s

I study psychology and Japanese, so for exams, I use active recall techniques such as flashcards, quizzes and previous papers so that I keep testing myself ^^ I personally work great with these techniques, I just have to make sure I have a lot of time to study :sweat_smile: For essays, I come up with a rough plan and make sure that I have the research papers I need before writing.

Even though I really enjoy psychology, I struggle a lot with staying motivated. Starting with an easy/enjoyable task works for me so that I can get in the zone ^^ I also like to imagine the end result so that I'm reminded of why I'm doing what I'm doing.

Like everyone else has said, self-care is very important ^^ there are going to be days where you feel exhausted, and that's perfectly fine :smile: I meditate for at least 10 minutes a day so that I don't feel overwhelmed with studies, and I keep reminding myself that my grades don't reflect my worth (I'm an overachiever) and that my journey of improvement is beautiful.
    cinnamoroll supremacy : )
  • Options
    AifeAife Community Manager Posts: 3,034 Boards Guru
    Best of luck with everyone going through exams at the moment <3

Just wanted to say be kind to yourselves and remember you've got this!
    Maybe somethings don't get better, but we do. We get stronger. We learn to live with our situations as messy and ugly as they are. We fix what we can and we adapt to what we can't. Maybe some of us will never fully be okay, but at least we're here. We're still trying. We're doing the best we can. That's worth celebrating too ❤
  • Options
    sinead276sinead276 Posts: 1,061 Wise Owl
    Good luck to everyone who is completing exams and assignments - I'm sure you will all do great :) . As someone who has just completed her uni degree as well, I know how challenging they can be at all stages of education.

In terms of advice or tips, I'd say break your work down into smaller, more manageable tasks so it doesn't become too overwhelming and make sure to take breaks and time to yourself - as at the end of the day it's your mental well-being that is most important.

You've all got this

Sinead <3
  • Options
    Laura_tigger82Laura_tigger82 Moderator Posts: 5,120 Part of The Furniture
    Thank you @sinead276. I am sure your kindness will mean a lot to people.

Congratulations on just completing your uni degree! How are you feeling about just completing your uni degree at the moment?

I hope you are well but we are here for you if you want to share more with us. Good luck everyone from me too! :)
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    sinead276sinead276 Posts: 1,061 Wise Owl
    @Laura_tigger82

Thank you, I feel good that I've completed it and am in the stage of working out what to do next (i.e., postgrad study and jobs) whilst also taking a bit of time for myself as well as its been a stressful few months. Overall though I'm doing well.

Hope your well too :)