Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

What helps you cope with loneliness?

BrookeeBrookee Posts: 1,327 Wise Owl
Hey lovelies, I hope you're all having a lovely week so far, and enjoying this warm weather as much as you can. I wanted to just make a thread about loneliness as I know this Mental Health awareness week, the focus is on loneliness. I know how difficult it can be to push through difficult feelings or isolate from others when these feelings become overwhelming and then struggle to maintain or get back in contact with the people you care about when these feelings ease slightly. I'm just wondering if any of you are comfortable sharing what helps you feel a little less alone when times are tough?

I often like to listen to music that resonates with me when I can't reach out to the people I care about, it helps make me feel seen and understood and eases the feelings, even for a short while.

I hope you're doing really well, and sending you all so much love <3

Comments

• Options
    kaiikaii Posts: 450 Listening Ear
    Hey @Brookee , thank you so much for your words :smile: I hope you're having a wonderful week so far. I'm really glad that the focus of this Mental Health Awareness week is loneliness. I feel like loneliness is a really misunderstood feeling, therefore not a lot of people reach out to anyone about it.

Like you, I also really like to listen to music that relate to loneliness for the same reasons you have. I also find it helpful doing my hobbies - I play piano and draw, these hobbies calm me down a lot and I feel much better afterwards ^^ I meditate too, just to focus on what's happening in the present - and sometimes there are lonely thoughts as I meditate, but after meditation, they don't seem to bother me as much as they did before :smile:

Sending love, Kai <3
    cinnamoroll supremacy : )
  • Options
    daisyella12daisyella12 Posts: 119 The Mix Convert
    Hi @Brookee and @kaira_rubit

Both your suggestions for dealing with loneliness are great! I also do those things when feeling lonely. Something else I do when I'm feeling lonely but don't have the energy to distract myself with hobbies is watching a comfort TV show. For me that is gossip girl as it distracts me from my feelings and makes me feel as though I am in that show :)
  • Options
    MaisyMaisy Moderator Posts: 627 Incredible Poster
    I try to throw myself into a project, something that really helps to distract me and take my mind off my feelings.

Other than that, I may make plans in my mind (or daydream, rather) about what I can do with friends when we eventually get to meet up. Sometimes this can make me feel lonely, but sometimes this also makes me feel more connected to them when they aren’t around.
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.