Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

My Age

Hi Guys so recently people always think I don’t look my age they think I look 12 and I’m actually 18 and it really affects me and upsets me that they think I look 12 because I feel like I’ll be getting that all my life how can I look my age😫

Comments

• Options
    AislingDMAislingDM Moderator Posts: 1,666 Extreme Poster
    That must be so frustrating and annoying to hear regularly, especially when a lot of the time these sorts of comments come from strangers too! I know it's always jarring to be mistaken for the wrong age, but such a huge age difference must feel even more hurtful. It sounds like it really hurts your self-esteem when you hear that, which makes a lot of sense. What makes you feel that you're going to hear this your whole life? <3 xx
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    enorth1enorth1 Posts: 68 Boards Initiate
    Just wanted to echo what @AislingDM said there, that is such a frustrating situation. In the past I have also been mistaken for someone younger at times, and in my experience this felt patronising and like I wouldn't be taken as seriously as an adult, I'm not sure if you can relate. Sending lots of love and support, during this hurtful time <3 x
  • Options
    _Tech_Addict_Girl_Tech_Addict_Girl Posts: 1,489 Wise Owl
    Hi @AislingDM @enorth1 thankyou for replying ❤️Yes it is very hurtful and damages me a bit because that 12 and 18 is a age gap and that hurts I feel a bit like you did or still do @enorth1 and it’s not nice. I feel like I’m going to hear it my whole life because @AislingDM every time I tell someone my age and they don’t know me they think I’m lying and it hurts because I’m actually not :(
  • Options
    Lucy307Lucy307 Posts: 1,171 Wise Owl
    It’s annoying because people seem to use ‘he/she/they look about 12’ as a way to describe anyone that looks younger than they are at all - have you experienced this? They might not actually mean they think that you literally look 12 but it’s still unnecessary and hurtful which people don’t seem to understand. Sending massive hugs 💜
    Treat yourself as you would treat a good friend
  • Options
    _Tech_Addict_Girl_Tech_Addict_Girl Posts: 1,489 Wise Owl
    @Lucy307 Yep I have experienced that a lot and yes it’s not very nice x
  • Options
    AislingDMAislingDM Moderator Posts: 1,666 Extreme Poster
    Definitely so true from lucy, @_Tech_Addict_Girl , people often speak in over-dramatic terms to get their point across, which is not to suggest that it still doesn't feel totally demeaning to constantly be told that you're lying. In some ways it feels like we're all way too obsessed with age, and a lot of people don't actually know what a lot of teenagers look like because they're so used to seeing TV shows with 26 year olds playing 16 year olds! I'm curious, what do you tend to say to people who say all this to you? xx
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.