Home General Chat Positivity Corner
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Subject you enjoy/enjoyed most at school?

AislingDMAislingDM Moderator Posts: 1,666 Extreme Poster
Academia and learning can be so exhausting and leave us in a state of total burnout, especially with big focuses on tests and stuff. So, trying to think positively, I wanted to hear about everyone's positive experiences with a given subject/topic. Especially when you were able to just relax and enjoy =)
FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.

Comments

• AislingDMAislingDM Moderator Posts: 1,666 Extreme Poster
    I personally loved doing English Literature to try and come up with the most random interpretation of a piece of writing and then using context and literary devices to back up my nonsensical answers :) Maybe that's really geeky though lol!!!
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • DandelionDandelion Posts: 1,911 Extreme Poster
    I really liked Science and now that’s what I’ve gone to on to do. I was never really very creative so much preferred science and maths.
    The steps you take don’t need to be big, they just need to take you in the right direction. 
  • AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,826 Extreme Poster
    I enjoyed a lot of subjects at school, I love learning! My favourite was geography, I've always found it so eye-opening and interesting to learn about the world, culture, change etc. Also really liked psychology, learned a lot about myself and people in general :)
  • BrookeeBrookee Posts: 1,327 Wise Owl
    @AislingDM This is a wonderful little thread, thank you so much for making it. I really enjoyed Psychology honestly, it was really interesting. I'm the same as @Azziman though, I love learning so much, I still do now :)
  • RileyRiley Moderator Posts: 991 Part of The Mix Family
    I really liked History when I was younger but only when I was in Year 7, because our teacher for it was so enthusiastic and funny he really made you care about what he was teaching! Unfortunately the other History teachers just put me to sleep. :lol:
    Very cool @Dandelion it's interesting isn't it how some of our brains are more geared towards STEM stuff and others are more keen on the arts. What kind of science was your fave? (I loved bio and psych but struggled a lot with physics) xx

Ooh now that's interesting @Azziman , I never got on with geography so dropped it pretty quickly, I think it's a really important subject though and I probably should have kept it, what's one of the most important things you learned about culture from geog? :)

Definitely @Brookee learning can be so enjoyable!! Psychology really is fab, especially getting to better understand small behaviours/communication styles that you never would have given a second thought before! Which bit of psychology do you love the most?

So true @Riley !! I reckon history is prob one of the most essential subjects to learn (and to ensure we're getting information from reliable sources). What made your teacher in year 7 so awesome, because it would definitely be good to know how to sustain young people's attention in learning environments? =)
  • DandelionDandelion Posts: 1,911 Extreme Poster
    Biomedical Science is my favourite. I like biology but only really the human aspect not a fan of the plant or animal side
    The steps you take don’t need to be big, they just need to take you in the right direction. 
  • sinead276sinead276 Posts: 1,004 Wise Owl
    Has to be psychology (even though I only started studying it in college) - understanding people more and especially the mental health side has always been an interest of mine. :)
  • LeilaLeila Posts: 2,064 Boards Champion
    Mine has to be English or maths I loved achieving and getting praised about the work I did and being happy 😊 thank you for making this thread, I'm pleased to talk about my achievements!
  • DurhamjaideDurhamjaide Posts: 1,225 Wise Owl
    Art ITC and food technology also travel and tourism
  • AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,826 Extreme Poster
    AislingDM wrote: »
    Ooh now that's interesting @Azziman , I never got on with geography so dropped it pretty quickly, I think it's a really important subject though and I probably should have kept it, what's one of the most important things you learned about culture from geog? :)

For me, it began a longer journey of understanding the idea of Western culture and its influence, but also learning about non-Western ideals. Not everyone thinks like us (and the good and bad reasons of doing so), not everyone lives like us, and there are lots of spaces for individual cultures to resist outside influence. I think it opened my eyes a lot to how different people think and live. I ended up going travelling not too long after A Levels, and read more about different cultures, it's been a great experience opening myself up to how different groups and places do things differently - religion/morals, festivals, society etc. This kind of thing is why I love geography, getting exposure to all these new ideas and opportunities :D
    Totally get what you mean @Dandelion learning about ourselves always feels so interesting, like we can better help our bodies and minds if we only know more!! What is the most interesting part of biomed and I'd be grateful to learn how does it differ from 'regular' biology?

Definitely @sinead276 I feel like from learning psych we can try our best to become more familiar with how to support others, especially when it comes to communication. Learning what is 'effective' communication to one person compared to another is super insightful =)

Love to hear that @Leila !! You should always feel proud of your efforts!! i think it's especially interesting to hear that you enjoyed both maths and english, as I know some people say that people are usually 'better' at one or the other, what was that experience like for you?

Food tech was a total dream for me too! @Durhamjaide what was your fave dish you cooked? x

I think that sounds so beautiful @Azziman being taught about how the world is so much bigger than is is so essential to our learning and developing! Having that different lens to view different situations is so cool, especially the point you mentioned about morality and stuff, we did some of that in RS and it truly is so eye-opening how biased we can be !! x
  • kaiikaii Posts: 434 Listening Ear
    Mine are psychology, fine art and languages - I'm currently studying psychology in uni, I became interested in it because of MBTI, I find it really fascinating exploring how our mind and behaviour work ^^ it's a very applicable subject!

Alongside studying psychology, I'm also doing Japanese as an elective in uni ^^ in secondary, I enjoyed French a lot, but I forgot most of it but can still understand some, so I hope to study it again soon :smile:

I'm also currently self-studying Korean, and trying my best to speak Tagalog in my household. I really hope to be a polyglot one day haha

And fine art was so much fun, I loved the 10 hour GCSE exam - it might sound overwhelming doing art for 10 hours, but it was so relaxing! I still continue to do art as a hobby today <3
    cinnamoroll supremacy : )
  • DancerDancer Community Champion Posts: 7,740 Master Poster
    edited July 2022
    kaii wrote: »
    Mine are psychology, fine art and languages - I'm currently studying psychology in uni, I became interested in it because of MBTI, I find it really fascinating exploring how our mind and behaviour work ^^ it's a very applicable subject!

Alongside studying psychology, I'm also doing Japanese as an elective in uni ^^ in secondary, I enjoyed French a lot, but I forgot most of it but can still understand some, so I hope to study it again soon :smile:

I'm also currently self-studying Korean, and trying my best to speak Tagalog in my household. I really hope to be a polyglot one day haha

And fine art was so much fun, I loved the 10 hour GCSE exam - it might sound overwhelming doing art for 10 hours, but it was so relaxing! I still continue to do art as a hobby today <3

The Art/Photography exam is not actually doing 10 hours straight. You do get breaks and it's across 2 days. Don't immediately freak out when you see that it is a 10 hour exam. From what I have heard, A-Level Photography is even longer. Apparently it is 15 hours. Not so sure about how long the A-Level Art exam is. I'm not planning to do A-Level Art. The exam for GCSE Art and Photography got cancelled for 2022 but I did have mock exams for Photography and it wasn't too bad.
    "There's a part of me I can't get back. A little girl grew up too fast. All it took was once. I'll never be the same." ~ Demi Lovato
    "The way that I have found the light in my life is through the expressive arts because I know that I will be accepted for the way I am." ~ Me
    "I'm going to get strong again and see you soon. " ~ Anonymous 
    @Dancer yeah I’m aware that it’s not 10 hours straight, I’ve already done it, it was really relaxing ^^ I forgot to mention on my post that the exam was over 2 days, so thanks for that! A lot of my friends who didn’t do GCSE Art freaked out at first when I told them about the 10 hour exam until I explained to them that we get breaks :smile:

I don’t know about A-Level Art because I didn’t do it either. I imagine that it probably takes just as long as A-Level Photography ^^ do you know what happens in the A-Level Photography 15 hour exam?

It was cool that you got mock exams for Photography! I never had mock exams for Fine Art. Since the exams for GCSE Art and Photography are cancelled this year, how will you be assessed now?
  • Chloe234Chloe234 Community Champion Posts: 2,077 Boards Champion
    Hmm well it depends really for me as i used to absoloutly love maths and i was really good anlt ut but then i was moved class and my maths is good now but not as good as it usef to be. Its silly but the thing that ruined maths for me wad the teacher and class itself. Most the lesson was on a starter or we would do barely anything because the teacher was busy shouting at the class

Im staring my options this year and i have picked Hospitality and catering, Design technology, Drama and computing. These ar personally some of my favourite lessons as i like being creative. Computing isnt my strongest but i picked it bc i didnt wanna di a language or history or geography XD

I like Drama in particular though as i like getting into the mind of a diffrent character. I see it as escape. Escape from myself. I like the freeing feeling when you are just saying your lines.
  • Amy22Amy22 Posts: 3,913 Community Veteran
    I think my favourite subject in school was either drama or media. I loved drama, as I enjoyed being able to play different characters (though I don't think I was very good at acting tbh :D ). I did like writing the scripts in drama. Media will always be my favourite class I got to learn about films and why they are created.

However, I did enjoy art class as I spent most of my time in the art classroom drawing and doing art. Art used to be one of my passions and used to de stress me a bit. However, I dont do art much now and I kinda wished I did.
    Just a person who likes pop culture and films
    Drama always seemed so so cool to me!!! @Morgan007 what's your favourite part of it? <3

That sounds so awesome @kaii !! Speaking lots of languages is truly a fantastic gift, and they say it aids your ability to do other things, like learning to play musical instruments!! Couldn't agree more about Psych as well, I feel we learn so much about ourselves and others through it!! I'm curious, what made you interested in self-studying Korean? x

Such an intense period of time to focus right @Dancer ? but so glad a lot of people find it calming and immersive <3

I think that's such an insightful point that you make @Chloe234 because a teacher can truly make or break a course for a student. Whether or not they are engaging and warm or if they are strict and authoritarian, we need teachers who inspire us I believe xx

So true @Amy22 I think there is something nice in escaping from your own life even if it's just for a five-minute acting exercise, I suppose it gives you a bit of a reprieve? xx
    @AislingDM Thank you so much! I find learning languages so much fun, and it has so many benefits like you said, such as better memory or increased creativity! And yes! Ever since studying psychology, I felt like I understood myself and others around me so much better :smile:

And as for why I became interested in studying Korean, I've always really liked the flow of the language - it's really nice to listen to, and I'm very interested in the culture as well ^^ I also like K-Dramas and K-Pop! So far in my self-study, I'm really enjoying learning about conjugations and grammar (even though it's a little difficult), so I hope to keep this up! <3
    I'm the exact same, I feel like there are so many fab Kdramas out there, I mean haven't we all seen Crash Landing on You? It sounds like you're really committed to learning all aspects of the language, I know some people say it can be a tough one to grasp at first, so well done!! I also love that you want to understand more than just the language but about how culture influences language development and uses also <3 Hope it continues to go well @kaii xx