Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Unemployment

Kate_20Kate_20 Posts: 653 Incredible Poster
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I feel like I may not be able to find a job. I sent out some job applications and it was exhausting. I only got noted that nobody needs me. I had experience in so many fields and I worked really hard until I got myself depression. Now my life is a disaster. I can never find a job again because nobody thinks I am qualified for anything. I cannot do a degree in each and every field. I am left with no option. My education is pretty useless.
Tengo el alma en cuarentena y roto el cuerpo
Qué dolor, qué pena y qué tormento
El Kanka - Lo mal que estoy y lo poco que me quejo
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    daisyella12daisyella12 Posts: 119 The Mix Convert
    Hi @Kate_20

I am so sorry you feel this way, thank you for reaching out!

I completely understand the struggle with finding a job, I have been looking for a job for nearly a year now and have only just been accepted for one. I have written so many applications they are exhausting each one is like completing an assignment! It took me so long to find a job because of my lack of experience. However, it seems you have experience in lots of areas, this is very beneficial and experience never goes away, you should use this as one of your strengths! Even if you do not have the qualifications for the role, experience is goes a long way! From my own experience of getting to the interview stage of many jobs, experience in the role is favoured more than qualifications!

Since I have gone through the same struggle, I am happy to do my best to help you with your applications when and if you decide to apply for some more. Of course you do not need to take my help, it is just an option for you! :)
  • Options
    MaisyMaisy Moderator Posts: 634 Incredible Poster
    I'm in a similar boat, so I can relate a bit.

It is hard when you get rejected for jobs, but try not to take it too personally. It's not a case of no-one needing you, but that there is a lot of competition for jobs at the moment. That doesn't mean to say that you will never get a job though.

While having experience in many fields can be seen as a negative (e.g. you are undecided in what field you want to work in) it can also be a very positive thing to have as you will have learnt what does and doesn't suit you and many transferrable skills too. The best thing with transferrable skills is that they are universal and can be applied to a wide variety of jobs, so it's unlikely that you will never get hired or that people won't think you are qualified.

You mention that you can't do a degree in each and every field and while that is true, I'm also wondering whether you know what field it is that you want to work in? If you have done a degree in a particular area, but have found your interest lies somewhere else, you can try looking for part time courses, webinars or voluntary experience in the area that you are interested in. You can then tie this in with your degree. If there is a specific career that you'd like to get into but you need a certain qualification, you could always try working in another area while saving up. Equally, this doesn't necessarily mean that the education you have received so far is useless. You may be able to find links with what you have learnt so far and the education you will need in the field you want to go into.

Job searching can definitely take it's toll on you, and more so if it feels you aren't getting anywhere. But try to keep going, and perhaps consider talking to a careers advisor if you don't know where to go from here.
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    Kate_20Kate_20 Posts: 653 Incredible Poster
    Thanks @Maisy for your kind words and suggestions. Unfortunately, I no longer have access to my uni's career advice service due to being in an awkward situation with uni (having to resit one module), and therefore I am neither a student nor an alumna. I have experiences in different fields because in the past I viewed the rest of them as hobbies, not future careers. Now I have to reconsider them because I am at the end of the rope. I was very certain about what I wanted to do before I have MH issues. I am not good at what I am learning now because of my MH issues and I am questioning life. Is it that I chose the wrong field or is it because of my MH? I no longer understand who I am and whom I want to become.
    Tengo el alma en cuarentena y roto el cuerpo
    Qué dolor, qué pena y qué tormento
    El Kanka - Lo mal que estoy y lo poco que me quejo
  • Options
    MaisyMaisy Moderator Posts: 634 Incredible Poster
    Sorry to hear that you don't have access to your uni's career advice service. You could still try the national careers service though https://nationalcareers.service.gov.uk/ if you feel it might help.

I understand your dilemma. Like you, I have experience in multiple fields and am now going into a completely unrelated field to my studies. I kind of viewed my studies as hobbies too, or rather, I thought I could have a career in those fields while also being interested in them for personal reasons. When I finished my studies I became depressed and now years later, I've realised that if I could have my time again with everything that I know now (I might be autistic but didn't know before) then I would've chosen another field. For me, every thing that I have studied or wanted to go into, I now see as how I've grown and learned along the way. Perhaps this could be similar to you? It might not be that you've chosen the wrong field but that you've had to adapt to different challenges along the way as well. And mental health issues can definitely cloud our judgement making things seem worse than that what they are.

Sometimes things can seem like a chicken and egg situation...which comes first is difficult to say. But your mental health issues don't define you. I don't know if this will be of any help to you but for me, when I found out I might be autistic, my life completely changed and it felt like my whole identity came crashing down. I didn't know who I was or what I wanted either. Even though I'm still not 100% sure, it's helped by reflecting on what I enjoyed or made me happy before life got in the way and I became depressed. It's helped me to regain a sense of who I used to be and an insight into who I could become, even if it's different from what I imagined when I was younger. Not sure if that's relevant to you but even though it can be scary when it feels like you don't know who you are, with time, you will figure it out.

You might also want to check out this article on job searching with depression https://www.blurtitout.org/2017/06/01/depression-looking-for-work/ if you feel this might be helpful.
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,870 Extreme Poster
    Sorry to hear, job hunting can feel quite demoralising and exhausting at times, so can definitely relate. I know it's hard, but try not to take the rejections personally - usually, it's the case that they don't think you fit certain criteria, but that doesn't take away from your actual worth or abilities. It's good that you've taken stock of what you might want to do. I'd still really encourage you to keep applying - lots of these firms will have multiple entry points a year, and there's lots of smaller firms that are looking for talent too. It's hard to stay motivated, but you'll find a role before you know it. Remember, amongst a sea of applications and rejections, all you need is one "yes" to move forward. Keep it up, fingers crossed you find the opportunity you seek soon :)