Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

What do you think about straight writers writing stories with LGBTQ+ characters in it?

Kate_20Kate_20 Posts: 653 Incredible Poster
What do you think about straight writers writing stories with LGBTQ+ characters in it? Do you think they reinforce stereotypes or do you think it is okay with them to do it?
Tengo el alma en cuarentena y roto el cuerpo
Qué dolor, qué pena y qué tormento
El Kanka - Lo mal que estoy y lo poco que me quejo

Comments

• Options
    BrookeeBrookee Posts: 1,327 Wise Owl
    Hey @Kate_20
    I think it all depends on whether they've done proper in depth research and are trying to really see it from another person's perspective rather than their own and their biases that come along with that. What do you think, Kate?
  • Options
    DandelionDandelion Posts: 1,911 Extreme Poster
    I don't think there's anything wrong with it at all. Like Brooke says any characters written need to make sure you do proper research about, like when some men write about women and its the most obscene thing ever lol
    The steps you take don’t need to be big, they just need to take you in the right direction. 
  • Options
    JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,319 Part of The Furniture
    Dandelion wrote: »
    I don't think there's anything wrong with it at all. Like Brooke says any characters written need to make sure you do proper research about, like when some men write about women and its the most obscene thing ever lol
    Building on this, I found out recently that 'perspective editors' provide feedback and suggest edits to how fictional characters are written. For example, if a straight male is writing a bisexual female character, a bisexual female perspective editor can be hired to go over the writing. :)
    The truth resists simplicity.
  • Options
    DandelionDandelion Posts: 1,911 Extreme Poster
    Mike wrote: »
    Dandelion wrote: »
    Building on this, I found out recently that 'perspective editors' provide feedback and suggest edits to how fictional characters are written. For example, if a straight male is writing a bisexual female character, a bisexual female perspective editor can be hired to go over the writing. :)

Ah thats really cool I didn't know that
    The steps you take don’t need to be big, they just need to take you in the right direction. 
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    I think it completely a non issue. It's fiction ffs. Autors should be able to create any character they like.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    AislingDMAislingDM Moderator Posts: 1,666 Extreme Poster
    Yeah, I love what everyone has already said, as long as stereotypes aren't being depicted, as well as ensuring you're getting feedback from the actual demographic you're describing. My only qualm would be the same as the one on my similar(ish) post from a little while ago: I would hope that straight authors aren't getting more money/book deals to write from a perspective that isn't their own, especially if they are taking space away from authors from that marginalised group =)
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.