Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Had a terrible second interview

La_LaLa_La Posts: 156 Helping Hand
edited February 2022 in Work & Study
Hello, I've recently gotten back into job hunting again after my terrible first job experience. I was interviewing for a job, and the first time the staff were very professional and helpful so I liked it a lot. But this time with the CEO, I felt very belittled and mistreated when he interviewed me over the day.

I faced complaints about my English speech for saying stuff like 'yeah' only then for the CEO to repeat the same words back, they would constantly ask if my mum took me to the interview and stuff just because I said I wanted to tell her I got accepted for the job trial and then they tested me on the speed of scanning documents even though I just learnt how to do it on the day. They also made weird comments about my nails, I understand trimming them for the job but they cracked weird jokes like 'its ur nails or the job' and was very indirect passive aggressive in their approach.

I felt like my co-workers were very helpful and professional but as its a very small company, they rotate around the CEO's needs and desires so it felt unprofessional at times. He was not bad but he said a lot of unkind things that I had to dodge around or reply to without getting angry which took a lot of mental power. But now I am at home, I just feel increasingly sad about how lowly I was viewed despite being a capable and skilled person. He kept on saying that this is a job like no other which is at the forefront of the sector and that I was lucky to be in second interview because there's so many applicants they rejected. It was just so sad because this job was not that bad but I felt too uncomfortable to be myself there. I managed to even keep my anxiety and anger controlled but this still happened.

I just feel like it was not constructive or strict in the right way. I want to be judged as a worker, not as a human being.
I really need some hope XD This is too many setbacks. I just am really struggling with the anger and hurt from this.
~ Dreamer ~

Comments

• Options
    BrookeeBrookee Posts: 1,327 Wise Owl
    Hey @La_La

I'm really sorry to hear that you've had a difficult experience with the CEO, that sounds really infuriating and upsetting. I just want to say I'm really proud of you for reaching out, and also for trying your best, that's all anyone can ask of you. It sounds very disheartening that the CEO was belittling you and making you feel so small, that's really unfair, and isn't a reflection upon you at all.

That sounds like a really difficult environment to be in, it sounds like a very toxic and demeaning work environment, and you don't deserve to be treated that way, or have comments made about you like that. That's really rude and quite ignorant, they don't know what you're going through, and shouldn't be coming off so judgmental. You are a very capable and strong individual, I'm really impressed by your ability to dodge such nasty comments, and it's okay to feel upset. It makes sense to be upset when you've tried your hardest and feel exhausted after being treated so poorly. You're worth a lot more than the way they treated you. You deserve to feel safe, comfortable and supported. Your feelings are valid, and it's okay to feel down about this, but please know it's not a reflection upon you or your capabilities.

I know this is very cliché but setbacks can be really helpful in the long run, they help us learn. In this case, you're aware of what you don't want to be around, and it'll help you in finding a job with people that you feel safe, accepted and happy around. You deserve a lot better than how you were treated in this interview, and I have a lot of hope that you're going to achieve such wonderful things in life. I think if anything this was a blessing in disguise, I know it can be super difficult to bounce back from rejections or setbacks, but you're doing incredible. I'm really incredibly proud of you, you've had to deal with a lot, and the fact you're reaching out for support is absolutely amazing!!

Sending you so much love <3
  • Options
    @Brookee Thank you, I really appreciate the kind words; it means a lot!!! I really appreciate your encouragement too. :3 That is also a really good way to look at it, you are right. I hope I can move forwards from this setback, but I think I will probably feel sad about it for a while too. And yes, it was not a good environment at all which is a shame because it is actually a nice opportunity.
    Thanks again, I send you love too. Your response is very soothing and kind.
    ~ Dreamer ~
  • Options
    Laura_tigger82Laura_tigger82 Moderator Posts: 5,132 Part of The Furniture
    edited February 2022
    Hey @La_La

Thanks for reaching out to us. I always appreciate how much courage it must take to reach out.

I am really sorry to hear you have had such a negative experience. It does indeed seem contradictory that the CEO complained about things they did themselves within the same meeting!

You definitely deserve to be treated better than that. You deserve a job you enjoy or at least feel comfortable working. Though, I know it must have been frustrating, particularly if you were looking forward to the job.

I just want you to know though that this is not your fault. It reflects their character more than it does yours. Would you like to talk about how you are feeling today? I can imagine you don’t feel particularly great after that interview.

Keep searching, and hopefully, you will find a more supportive job! We are always here for you and listening to you. You don’t have to go through this or anything else alone if you don’t want to <3
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    @Laura_tigger82
    Thank you, I appreciate your message. I agree, I want that too. I want to have a job where I at least feel okay in, but it seems hard to find.
    Today, I felt pretty angry and sullen because I felt knocked down. I feel like I have to prove myself whenever I am opposed, so it felt very tough to enjoy today so far. I think I need to give myself some rest. Somehow I managed to get through to my mum, whilst my gran criticized me about my decision to not want to do the job saying i should just experience things. But I think I don't want to experience things that actively cause me continuous harm, such as that job. I hope I get a rejection email for it.

You are right, hopefully something okay will appear soon.
    ~ Dreamer ~
  • Options
    BrookeeBrookee Posts: 1,327 Wise Owl
    Hey @La_La
    You are more than welcome, you deserve kindness when you're going through such a difficult time, and you've done the best you can, and that's all we can ask of you, and it's more than enough. Of course, it can take a while to process and deal with a setback that's caused you so much pain, and that's more than okay, you take as much time as you need. Your feelings are always valid, and you're more than welcome to reach out to us again if you're struggling, because we care a lot about you! It's very frustrating when it's something you feel you would've loved, but I know there's more things on the horizon for you, and something better will come along, it may take some time but again that's not a reflection upon you at all. I'm really proud of you! <3
  • Options
    Hey @La_La

Thanks for your response. You are more than welcome, it is just my honesty, and you deserve all the kindness.

Just a practical tip, have you thought about reading [employment] employee reviews? It can often give you an insight into their ethos.

You do indeed need to give yourself a rest. This is not a reflection of you at all or your skills, abilities, hard work, determination, and persistence.

You deserve to feel content at work. Keep searching until you find the place for you <3
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    @Brookee Thank you, this is really sweet. Yes, that is really reassuring to hear that its okay to take a rest when things get too tough. I really do appreciate your support, it means a lot. Yes, I will try not to give up for more opportunities in the future.

@Laura_tigger82 Thank you, I really appreciate your honesty. I agree, checking reviews is a good idea. Sadly, this job comes with no reviews asides from one interview review and because most employees are only temporary interns, its hard to get information. It's somewhat worrying.
    Thank you, I really appreciate your supportive words and you are right, contentment is important in work!
    ~ Dreamer ~
  • Options
    Hey @La_La

Thanks for your response. It is great to see you know what you deserve. Hopefully, future employers will have more reviews! Then you can get a clearer idea in advance :3
  • Options
    AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,895 Extreme Poster
    La_La wrote: »
    @Brookee Thank you, this is really sweet. Yes, that is really reassuring to hear that its okay to take a rest when things get too tough. I really do appreciate your support, it means a lot. Yes, I will try not to give up for more opportunities in the future.

@Laura_tigger82 Thank you, I really appreciate your honesty. I agree, checking reviews is a good idea. Sadly, this job comes with no reviews asides from one interview review and because most employees are only temporary interns, its hard to get information. It's somewhat worrying.
    Thank you, I really appreciate your supportive words and you are right, contentment is important in work!

Hey :) Just wanted to chime in and start by saying that everyone takes a lot of setbacks when it comes to job hunting, so a lot of people (myself included!) can relate to that. We all have good days and bad days when it comes to interviews - all we can do is give our best shot, and hope that we impressed the interviewer.

However, there was a couple things I noticed about this interview. First, as other people have said, this interview doesn't really seem like a nice person. You're there to talk about your skills, experiences, career ambitions etc, so why would an interviewer (esp a CEO of all people!) would feel the need to comment on your nails and ask about your mum is? It comes across as unprofessional, or at least impolite. Also, you absolutely earned your place at that interview - it's sad to hear that someone says that you're lucky to be there, because it makes you feel like an imposter and completely discredits all the work you've put in. Again, especially to hear that from a CEO is surprising.

There's one more thing I noticed - you mentioned a lot of the staff are temporary interns. I don't know about the industry, but that's a big red flag. At a good company, a lot of the staff will stay there for a while because they like working there, even when better opportunities arise outside. A lot of temporary interns might suggest that a lot of people are leaving the job, and as is common knowledge in business, most people leave a bad manager/boss rather than a bad job. I can't say with 100% certainty, but I think you've probably dodged a bullet with this one.

So IMO, you probably did a decent job with the interview, but there'll be better opportunities just around the corner for you. Keep working hard, keep getting those interviews, and I'm sure you'll get an offer before you know it :)