Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Debate should we wear a mask for common cold if we choose to?

One-in-a-millionOne-in-a-million Posts: 605 Incredible Poster
So I woke up today with the dreaded sore throat blocked nose pounding head, constant sneezing, rough voice, feeling drained and body aches. I was about to call in sick but realised we had an inspection. So I text my manager and explained I was feeling awful but would come in due to the inspection but would appreciate if I could go home early as I was feeling really poorly.
Note: although these can be signs of COVID as these aren’t main symptoms of COVID I was allowed to go in as they are more likely symptoms of a cold.

I said that as I was feeling really poorly I’d put a mask on so I don’t pass on whatever I’ve got. My main manager had no problem with this and said it was my choice. But when deputy came in she asked why I was wearing a mask and I explained it was due to feeling really poorly and not wanting to pass it on. I was told masks shouldn’t be worn for a common cold due to supply. I explained that I just wanted to stop the spread of whatever I’ve got due to how poorly I felt. Again was told I shouldn’t wear one for a cold as it’s something we have lived with for years and everyone gets a cold at some point so I removed it.

As the day went on I got worse but other staff were finishing at regular time so it was obvious I wouldn’t be able to go home early. But then I started coughing and of course was asked to leave the building and go for PCR.

I’ve done flow tests and it’s negative but I know a PCR would be required regardless due to the development of a cough.

But regardless of that even cold and flu isn’t pleasant and I thought wearing my mask would just be a nice thing to do to avoid others getting whatever I have.

I’ve had COVID back in October thankfully it was pretty mild although not pleasant but this feels much worse.

Although masks aren’t required for the common cold or possible flu, like COVID they can prevent the spread. do you think that a mask should be worn (by choice) out of courtesy If feeling really unwell.

I’m not saying that this should become common practice every time we have a cold but with COVID floating around, symptoms being able to rapidly change/develop, feeling really unwell and working with children and someone who is pregnant I thought wearing a mask at my own discretion would be a polite thing to do. Especially now that I have developed more symptoms.

I’m waiting for PCR results and even if negative I doubt I’ll be in work tomorrow.

So yeah what are your thoughts?

Please no arguments I fully appreciate not everyone agrees with the mask rule and everyone is welcome to share their own opinion but please don’t not argue with anyone who chooses to or not to wear a mask.

Please do not bring politics into this either

Comments

• Options
    _Tech_Addict_Girl_Tech_Addict_Girl Posts: 1,489 Wise Owl
    edited January 2022
    Hey @One-in-a-million I’m really sorry you feel so unwell right now and I hope what your feeling right now won’t last very long.
    I think you did a very sensible thing putting a mask on to protect others from catching it my thoughts are you should do whatever makes you feel comfortable putting a mask on or not I think it should be your choice if that is what feels right for you.

At the end of the day your only trying to prevent other people from becoming Ill and I think that is the right way to go about it. So my advice to you is do what makes you feel comfortable. If the staff don’t agree with wearing a mask you could say I feel comfortable wearing a mask when I’m unwell to prevent other people from catching it because that is a very sensible thing to do.

It just shows you were thinking about other people and that is very polite because some people don’t care.

Let us know how the Pcr test is I hope it is negative fingers crossed 🤞 💗
  • Options
    At the end of the day your only trying to prevent other people from becoming Ill and I think that is the right way to go about it. So my advice to you is do what makes you feel comfortable.

Thanks that was my only intention to stop others becoming unwell, if it was a lot milder I probably wouldn’t have bothered but I feel awful. I’m expecting my results to be negative and think it’s the flu or a bad cold but I’ll keep you updated.

Just hope that as I removed my mask others don’t catch it and start with same symptoms as it means more staff will have to miss work and go for PCR.

Hope you are well
  • Options
    Laura_tigger82Laura_tigger82 Moderator Posts: 5,133 Part of The Furniture
    Hey @Online-in-a-million

Thanks for reaching out to us. I always appreciate how much courage it must take to reach out and I am really sorry to hear you are not feeling well.

I can understand why you would want to protect others from feeling unwell, even if it is not coronavirus. I think you tried to be really caring! Coronavirus can too often just look like cold symptoms. I hope sorry to hear you were not greeted with the same type of response.

I think you have every right to choose whether you want to wear a mask or not, but I can understand why they may not have wanted you to if you were using their masks due to financing and resourcing. Nevertheless, they have every responsibility to make sure you are okay and looked after whilst at work!

Good luck with your PCR results. Please feel free to let us know how you get on. I am hoping you feel better really soon <3
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    Thank you @Laura_tigger82 and @_Tech_Addict_Girl

Laura
    Thank you I completely understand where she was coming from myself and tbh maybe I should have stood my ground and either not have gone in the first place, knowing how poorly I was feeling (that it was probably more than a cold.)
    Or stuck to my guns and said that I understand about the supply issue but due to how poorly I was feeling felt safer with one on for both staff and children’s befit (I work in a nursery). Had I felt like I normally do with a cold I probably wouldn’t have even thought about it lol 😂

PCR was negative although I’m still quite poorly and think it maybe the flu. While I know the flu is pretty common and easily treatable with bed rest and plenty of fluids I’m now worried about the fact I removed my mask as I was working very close to a lady who is pregnant and I know that it can be dangerous in pregnancy. I really hope that I haven’t passed anything on.

I know it’s probably my anxiety more than anything but I can’t help but worry about possibly passing it on and putting her and her unborn baby at risk.
  • Options
    Hey @One-in-a-million

Thanks for your response. Yes, boundaries are really important, especially when you are already feeling unwell. You are your number one priority! Honestly, these times are making everyone question things more than they usually do. You are not alone. I am glad to hear your PCR was negative! Please keep resting, and I hope you feel better soon. Do you have everything you need? :3
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    Lucy307Lucy307 Posts: 1,171 Wise Owl
    Hey @One-in-a-million thats an interesting debate and I hope you feel lots better soon!

Sounds to me like you were just trying to protect the people around you from feeling as horrific as you did, which is a kind thing to do. I think I would do the same (or avoid other people completely, if I could) if I had the same symptoms. Should always be a choice I think.

I’m interested to know what the ‘supply’ issue is with masks? Are they special ones provided by your workplace? And by removing the one you had on… I’m assuming you binned it anyway so wouldn’t help with any supply issues? Genuinely intrigued by why your deputy didn’t just let you carry on.

I think you were doing the right thing, particularly as you say trying to protect kids and your pregnant colleague 💜

- Lucy
    Treat yourself as you would treat a good friend
  • Options
    Thank you @Laura_tigger82 and yes I have everything thank you 😊 I’ve had plenty of rest and slept most of the day 😂 not really ideal as I was worried I wouldn’t sleep tonight but I’m getting drowsy again now ha ha 😂

Thanks @Lucy307 I’m feeling slightly better this evening although I’m not well enough to go back work just yet. Looking back on it I probably shouldn’t have gone work in the first place although I was worried about leaving them short staffed with an inspection. The one I had to use was from work as the one I brought with me ended up snapping but we have quite a few boxes so I didn’t really see the issue 🤷🏻‍♀️. Yeah I had to scrap it anyway so I may as well been allowed to keep it on. I wonder if maybe she didn’t quite understand how poorly I was feeling as I suppose no one can truly know how someone else is feeling. I suppose she thought it was just a sniffle and we’ve never worn masks for the common cold before.

I’m back off to sleep now 😴

Thank you both xx night night
  • Options
    Hey @One-in-a-million

Thanks for your response. I am really glad you have everything you need. Make sure you are getting all the sleep and rest you need. If your body needs it, I think you will sleep at night even if you nap in the day :3
  • Options
    Thank you everyone I’m feeling lots better now and will be back work Monday :)
  • Options
    Hey @One-in-a-million

Thanks for your response. I am really glad to hear you are feeling better. Good luck with going back to work! :3
  • Options
    RileyRiley Moderator Posts: 991 Part of The Mix Family
    Glad to hear that you're feeling better @One-in-a-million and good to hear that it was just a cold in the end though I'm sure you still felt really rough! I'm going to echo what others have said here but there really shouldn't be any issue if you want to wear a mask when you're feeling sick it's a very considerate thing to do. If someone wants to tell you off for thinking about other people then that's their own issue you certainly didn't do anything wrong. :)
  • Options
    Hey @One-in-a-million

I just wanted to check in with you quickly when you are back! How was going back to work? I hope it has gone well for you. Please remember we are always here for you though if you want to talk to us about this or anything else :3
  • Options
    AislingDMAislingDM Moderator Posts: 1,666 Extreme Poster
    Super glad you're feeling better hun!! Must have been so exhausting to be unwell and then to have someone question why you'd try to protect the health of others!! I think it's a pretty awesome question, and honestly I think we see in other countries people wear masks to protect from both illness and pollution which is a pretty smart idea, and I guess no one is saying it has to be mandatory for the common cold, but if you choose to wear one to keep others safe, I see that as a real kindness, rather than something to condemn <3 Plus, in any case we are still in COVID times, so getting lax about wearing masks probably isn't the coolest idea anyhow haha... regardless of it all, glad you gave yourself the time and space you needed to get better =)