Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Emetaphobia…

Millicento_Millicento_ Posts: 35 Boards Initiate
edited January 2022 in Health & Wellbeing
I seriously have a huge fear of people being sick, sick in general and all that goes with it.
I really don’t know how to cope. My dad was, what I hope, just choking just now so I went downstairs sat in the kitchen for about half an hour. Freezing!!! Shaking due to panic, along with breathing issues and now I won’t sleep for about another hour unless something else happens.
If there is anything I can do aside from runaway, breathe and try distract myself please let me know.
Even if you share this phobia that would be assuring so I don’t think I’m just a fool.
Help!!🤯😖😳😵‍💫

Comments

• independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,610 Legendary Poster
    @Millicento_ yep, I have this too. I’ve had it ever since I was about 11 or so and I’m now 19, it’s one of the worst phobias because sometimes it’s unavoidable. I’m not so bad when it’s myself but witnessing other people being sick is the worst. You’re absolutely not alone.
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
  • DandelionDandelion Posts: 1,911 Extreme Poster
    Hey @Millicento_ I also have this, if I feel ill or if someone else tells me they feel ill I’ll get so worried. I’d love to give some advice, but honestly not sure how to deal with it myself, but you’re definitely not alone in having this phobia x
    The steps you take don’t need to be big, they just need to take you in the right direction. 
  • StellalunaStellaluna Posts: 62 Boards Initiate
    @Millicento_ It seems like seeing your dad choking has triggered the fear he might be sick and what that might mean.
    Sometimes breathing can help but when the panic has set in it can be really hard to even think about breathing techniques.
    It is ok to allow your body to feel those emotions without fighting them and accept that in the moment you feel frightened.
    It is ok to step away from the situation for a short while until you feel your body can relax and feel safe again.
    There is no pressure to get a quick fix. Managing phobias involves taking small steps and achieving small goals overtime. Posting your thoughts here on The Mix is a great step to have taken because you have reflected on what happened and how your body reacted.
    If you feel your reactions are becoming unbearable and affecting too much of your everyday life, it might be an idea to talk about this with your GP. They may be able to put you in touch with professionals who can suggest some coping skills for managing those panic responses.
    Keeping a journal of when the fear responses happen could be an idea. You could share what you have written with a trustworthy person, and this may help them understand what you are going through. They may even offer an alternative perspective on what happened which may help you to see things differently.
    Big Hugs. You are very brave,
    StellaLuna XX
  • Millicento_Millicento_ Posts: 35 Boards Initiate
    @independent_ im so sorry you struggle to. I must’ve got this phobia back when I was 11 ish and it’s been ongoing for over 10 years unfortunately. It’s a shame for us both, but I’m glad to not be the only one 💚

@Dandelion thank you for commenting. Sorry you struggle alongside such a phobia. It really is tough, can totally relate. Glad we’re not alone with it💚

@Stellaluna thank you for commenting offering advice. I’ve had this phobia strong for a long time. I went to my GP when it first began over 10 years ago and I was added to the waiting list for counselling. So it’s been a continuous struggle. And unfortunately my dad was sick last night, not just choking😖 thank you so much. Hugely appreciate support💚
  • independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,610 Legendary Poster
    You’re never alone with most phobias, it’s actually far more common than you might think. I find it’s worse when I’m stressed generally. I can understand how hard it is to live with.
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
  • Laura_tigger82Laura_tigger82 Moderator Posts: 5,086 Part of The Furniture
    Hey @Millicento_

Thanks for reaching out to us. I always appreciate how much courage it must take to reach out. It is wonderful to see all the wonderful support already provided.

I think your phobia is really common. However, I know that doesn’t make it any easier. Do you know why your phobia began? You are more than welcome to talk to us about this if you feel comfortable and wish to.

Also, it has been a few days since your post now, so I just want to check in with you to ask how you are feeling. Please remember we are always here for you, and it is definitely not just you who struggles with this! <3

FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.