Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

I feel very lonely

Kate_20Kate_20 Posts: 653 Incredible Poster
It is a weird feeling. Even though I meet my family and talk to my friends almost everyday, I still feel very lonely. Joining an online group meeting which I used to enjoy also does not help. I feel like I am never in the same world as them even if it appears like this. I very much want to be left alone but I feel so lonely.
Tengo el alma en cuarentena y roto el cuerpo
Qué dolor, qué pena y qué tormento
El Kanka - Lo mal que estoy y lo poco que me quejo

Comments

• Options
    amesames Posts: 20 Boards Initiate
    edited January 2022
    Hiya @Kate_20

Thanks for opening up about this, I hope that it's helped a little :)

I can definitely relate, at times I feel distant from my friends even if I'm spending time with them, perhaps even especially when I'm spending time with them. I often get the same urge to be left alone, but used to feel a lot more lonely in my own company when I took that time for myself than I do now. I think what helped me most to feel less lonely was learning how to enjoy my own company, usually through keeping myself entertained by putting more of my alone time into my hobbies. I don't know if you'll find this useful, but I hope it helps in some way. :)

Sending you love and support!
    A xx <3
  • Options
    BrookeeBrookee Posts: 1,327 Wise Owl
    Hey @Kate_20,

I'm so sorry to read you're struggling with feeling alone and isolated right now. That sounds really difficult. It can be hard to feel lonely when surrounded by others, but I just want you to know that your feelings are valid, and we're here for you. You're going through a lot right now, so please try to be kind to yourself, it's okay to feel distant from people when you're struggling. It sounds like your brain is trying to process too many things at once. I just want you to know that you're not alone, we're always here for you if you ever need anything! I wonder if you've been able to access any counselling or anything like that, to help you process these feelings?

Please remember you're never alone in this <3
  • Options
    Kate_20Kate_20 Posts: 653 Incredible Poster
    @ames @Brookee The group is also related to my previous hobbies but that is why I don't feel like human because I don't feel that confident in it or passionate about it. I haven't been able to have access to therapy and it is all too late :( Thinking that I could live in the same world as others do is just an illusion.
    Tengo el alma en cuarentena y roto el cuerpo
    Qué dolor, qué pena y qué tormento
    El Kanka - Lo mal que estoy y lo poco que me quejo
  • Options
    BrookeeBrookee Posts: 1,327 Wise Owl
    @Kate_20 It's normal to struggle to connect with hobbies you used to love when you're struggling with your mental health. Is there anything you love to do that you can take a small step towards starting, without putting too much pressure on yourself of course. Sometimes it's helpful to be on your own when struggling, but it's important to know that there are people here that care about you, and will be here if you ever need anything <3. I know it feels really heavy and defeated right now, but it's really never too late to get the support you deserve, you deserve to be supported. Have you tried the counselling here at The Mix? I know it feels impossible right now, but you've got so many amazing qualities, and just because you can't do what others around you can right now, it doesn't lower your worth or mean you can't live in this world with them. We're all unique, and you getting through each day is the biggest priority right now, and should be celebrated, because that's often the hardest thing to do. I'm really proud of you for waking up each day and trying, it's an incredible achievement <3
  • Options
    Laura_tigger82Laura_tigger82 Moderator Posts: 5,107 Part of The Furniture
    edited January 2022
    Hey @Kate_20

Well done for reaching out for support. I always appreciate how much courage it must take to reach out. I am also really glad to see the wonderful support already provided by @ames and @Brookee. As you can see, you have lots of friends within our community.

It is completely understandable that you feel lonely despite being around people. As I am sure you will be aware, there is such a key difference between being lonely and feeling lonely. Are you able to connect with anyone on a personal level? Sometimes it is just letting people know when you want to talk and when you want to be alone that is key or being in someone’s presence but being able to do your own thing in their presence. We are here for you when you want to talk and will give you the space when you want to be alone.

Also, hobbies change over time and that is perfectly ok and normal! You just need to find out what you currently enjoy, though I know that's easier said than done when you are struggling. In terms of therapy, would you like to expand on why it has not been accessible to you? There are plenty of therapy options available to you still that you may just not be aware of. Sending you hugs <3

FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    amesames Posts: 20 Boards Initiate
    Hiya @Kate_20

To echo the wonderful advice of @Brookee, it's never too late to start therapy. I'm sorry to hear that you've had struggles in accessing therapy before, the barriers to getting the mental health support you deserve can be really frustrating. I just thought I'd add on to the previous responses by offering a few resources. I hope you find some of them useful! :)

If you're interested in the suggestion of the Mix's free counselling, I believe they offer eight free counselling sessions online or over the phone for anyone in need. This article explains how to access it if this sounds like something that might work for you: https://www.themix.org.uk/mental-health/mental-health-treatments/what-to-expect-from-counselling-a-guide-34502.html. Additionally, if your issues in accessing counselling are medical or money based, this article should offer you some advice that you'll hopefully find useful: https://www.themix.org.uk/mental-health/mental-health-treatments/trouble-getting-help-for-mental-health-5932.html. As @Laura_tigger82 mentioned, there are many different forms of therapy out there, the main kinds of which are discussed in this article: https://www.themix.org.uk/mental-health/mental-health-treatments/types-of-therapy-5837.html.

Sending you love and hugs,
    A xx <3
  • Options
    Laura_tigger82Laura_tigger82 Moderator Posts: 5,107 Part of The Furniture
    Hi @ames

Thanks for adding to this thread with some more wonderful resources! All your efforts have been acknowledged and are really appreciated. I hope you know we are here for you too if you need anything. How are you today anyway? :)
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.