Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

no. 10

ellie2000ellie2000 Posts: 3,940 Community Veteran
mp's are stupid, let the world end now. is xmas goin to hpn, its like killing santa
Crazy mad insane

Comments

• ellie2000ellie2000 Posts: 3,940 Community Veteran
    omicron sounds like the evil robot
    Crazy mad insane
  • gia9720gia9720 Posts: 117 The Mix Convert
    @ellie2000 Omicron is a strange name, id love to know who makes the name for Covid variants...!
    and what does Hpn mean? @ellie2000
  • independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,610 Legendary Poster
    edited December 2021
    I thought the names came from the Greek alphabet? But not sure if omicron fits in with that.

Edit: I just googled and they do seem to name them after the Greek alphabet omicron is indeed a Greek letter.
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
    @independent_ omg no way lol. do they name all the covid variants after greek alphabet?
  • independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,610 Legendary Poster
    @gia9720 from my googling of all the variants, it seems they do. I remember when we started getting variants, One of the first ones originated in the UK and they called it the Kent or UK variant for ages. But then when they started originating in other countries like Brazil, South Africa and India they started naming them after Greek letters. I always thought it was to put less emphasis on the country it originated from and to prevent prejudice (calling the first virus the Chinese variant, for example, might not be such a great idea). But there’s probably some scientific reason as well that I don’t know. But it certainly makes sense to me to call it something that isn’t specific to one country.
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
  • ellie2000ellie2000 Posts: 3,940 Community Veteran
    'hpn' means happen abreviated
    Crazy mad insane
  • Laura_tigger82Laura_tigger82 Moderator Posts: 5,086 Part of The Furniture
    Hey @ellie2000

Thanks for expressing your views <3

I think Christmas is going to happen :)
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
    @gia9720 from my googling of all the variants, it seems they do. I remember when we started getting variants, One of the first ones originated in the UK and they called it the Kent or UK variant for ages. But then when they started originating in other countries like Brazil, South Africa and India they started naming them after Greek letters. I always thought it was to put less emphasis on the country it originated from and to prevent prejudice (calling the first virus the Chinese variant, for example, might not be such a great idea). But there’s probably some scientific reason as well that I don’t know. But it certainly makes sense to me to call it something that isn’t specific to one country.

Thanks for sharing this information! :) I Agree but to create a completely different name which is detached from the country of origin .
    Ok thanks @ellie2000 , I learn something new everyday :)