Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

What to feed a stray cat?

lovemimoonlovemimoon Posts: 2,318 Boards Champion
Heya!

Quite a strange thread really but there are a lot of stray cats in my area and some are looking quite rough. I've been reading this website on the Dos And Donts Of Feeding A Stray Cat and it's been helpful!

So far, I've managed to establish a form a bond with some of them (though they seem to pop up on a blue moon).
It would be great to get your insights too!
So any advice?

Comments

• Options
    BrookeeBrookee Posts: 1,327 Wise Owl
    Hey @lovemimoon

This is such a wholesome and kind thing that you're doing. I'm sure the cats will be so appreciative.

I think that article is a really good and informative piece to help with this. If you still aren't sure what to feed them, you could always just buy them so normal cat food, I think they'll just be really grateful for whatever you can spare (that isn't toxic to them of course).

This is so lovely honestly, thank you so much for starting this thread, I'm really looking forward to hearing how this goes for you. <3
  • Options
    AislingDMAislingDM Moderator Posts: 1,666 Extreme Poster
    I simply love that you are doing this, it's all too often that we just ignore people and animals in need and so I think it's so cool that you are making efforts in your spare time to hopefully make the world a better place for these little kitties!!! (sorry I do not have any advice as I know little about cats). xxx
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    SirArchibaldSirArchibald Posts: 75 Budding Regular
    Regular cat food would be a good idea, if you're leaving the food out in a bowl and letting cats come to eat it, dry food would be best, as insect often lay eggs in wet food and this can lead to the animals that eat it getting parasites. Put out clean water for them too.
    Maybe put some animal safe vitamin powder with the food as this will help be more healthy.
    I think that its really cool that you're helping these animals, I hope that it goes well and they get healthier.
  • Options
    Thank you for the responses, guys! :3

The stray cats in my area have colourful personalities! I've seen some stray cats that hesitantly come for pets then strut off to do whatever, some that stare straight into your souls and some who refuses to acknowledge your existence!

Today, I met Amie, an adventurous outdoor cat who takes a month's worth of strolling around the area. She comes back to her owners at random times (early in the morning, in the evening, etc). Today was one of those blessed days!

Following @SirArchibald advice, I got some cat dry food and stored it in four small containers. Gave her one of the containers to see if she was hungry and she left me 3-4 pieces left.

4yg2cfhkju4a.jpg
    Amie munching away

I tried to offer her water but she didn't seem interested? Maybe it was the size of the cap? I carry a water bottle with a large cap. I read that it's extremely important to give them fresh water so maybe she already had water? Not sure. What do you guys think?
  • Options
    BrookeeBrookee Posts: 1,327 Wise Owl
    @lovemimoon Thanks so much for updating this thread, it's such a wonderful thing to come back to see <3

Cats are so wonderful with unique personalities! It seems like you're connecting well with them! Some of them are probably a bit more cautious and untrustworthy depending on how they've ended up as strays, but you're doing an incredible thing, it might just take a little while for some of them to warm up to you.

So adorable to see them eating! What a wonderful thread this is!

I think in terms of the water maybe she'd already had some water before coming to see you? If she was thirsty I think she wouldn't have been hesitant to have some no matter where it was from.

Keep us posted, you're doing such a wholesome thing and this content is very heart warming :)
  • Options
    SirArchibaldSirArchibald Posts: 75 Budding Regular
    @lovemimoon I am so pleased the cats are trusting you more, I bet they get so pleased to see now.
    They may not be as interested in water compared to food because they can find water easily from puddles or things like that, they don't really care if its clean because theyre cats.
    Tbh i think cat prefer outside water because it doesn't have added chemical like your water does.
    I hope that it continues to go well with the cats <3
  • Options
    maryam852maryam852 Posts: 187 Helping Hand
    @lovemimoon Have you tried taking the cat to a vet, it may be worth a vet scanning the cat. Good luck!
  • Options
    @maryam852 I haven't thought about that, no.

I'll give it a try, maybe talk to her owners?
    Thank you! <3
  • Options
    GreenTeaGreenTea Posts: 12,938 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    How's the cat doing?
  • Options
    GreenTea wrote: »
    How's the cat doing?

The cat's grounded. :joy:
    It's been inside nowadays and I don't think she's coming out anytime soon.
  • Options
    GreenTeaGreenTea Posts: 12,938 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    lovemimoon wrote: »
    GreenTea wrote: »
    How's the cat doing?

The cat's grounded. :joy:
    It's been inside nowadays and I don't think she's coming out anytime soon.

Aw haha glad cat is safe
  • Options
    Laura_tigger82Laura_tigger82 Moderator Posts: 5,107 Part of The Furniture
    I am also glad to hear the cat is safe! :3
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.