Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Unfair in society

ellie2000ellie2000 Posts: 3,940 Community Veteran
edited October 2021 in Politics & Debate
Why isn't it acceptable for girls to take our tops off, at festivals we get told to put our tops back on. Men take their tops off the time
Crazy mad insane
Post edited by Ed_ on

Comments

• Laura_tigger82Laura_tigger82 Moderator Posts: 5,086 Part of The Furniture
    Hi @ellie2000,

A great example of gender inequality. I am sorry to hear this has concerned you too. However, this is a positivity corner for positivity, how could we turn this into a positive? I say keep raising awareness and we will empower more females! Have you got any other ideas?
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • maryam852maryam852 Posts: 187 Helping Hand
    I completely agree that it is an example of gender equality but we have to be practical, if women are being attacked while they are fully clothed (not that clothes serve as an excuse for attack) then would this not worsen if they were topless?
  • La_LaLa_La Posts: 156 Helping Hand
    It's a great shame. I heard that there were some groups in ancient history that permitted toplessness for women (but i forgot the name). I'm not sure when it became a taboo worldwide for women to be topless, but yeah it feels unfair sometimes.
    ~ Dreamer ~
  • maryam852maryam852 Posts: 187 Helping Hand
    I think an interesting subtopic is male involvement with female undergarments e.g Victoria's secret founder, the fact that the bikini was made by a man, Victorian bathing suits.
  • AislingDMAislingDM Moderator Posts: 1,666 Extreme Poster
    I hope you are doing okay with this situation now, Ellie, as it has been a little while, if not I am here if you'd like to talk <3 I just thought I'd respond to some of the responses you've had too if that's okay with everyone? x

I completely see what everyone is saying here. Ultimately, however, women and people who experience misogyny will be assaulted regardless of what we are wearing, and so I think we certainly cannot fight any of this by suggesting such people should have to wear their tops as a form of 'protection'. You're completely right @La_La , as there are many places currently, and throughout history, where women and people with breasts are/were ''allowed'' to be topless. Sadly, many cultures had their values and social norms forcibly changed by colonialism and this includes ideas about what nakedness means.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_nudity#Colonialism_era

The colonialism sections of this Wiki page give some insight into this. Hope this is helpful and I hope i don't sound patronising here <3 xx
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.