Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

University degree limbo

ForestWitchForestWitch Posts: 42 The answer to life, the universe, and everything
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Hi,
so i was going to do a degree in psychology, but i dont know if it's something im truly passionate about. While there are areas i enjoy i'm not sure i should do it. So i looked into other areas anthropology stuck out and i looked around for it. Then i made the stupid decision to tell my school that i want to change but also that i'm now early entry. Which means by the end of this week they want a finished personal statement. This would be fine if i now wasn't also kinda deciding that i dont want to do anthropology. In fact the more i look into it the more i don't want to do it.

Which means i'll have to tell the school 2 days after telling them i've changed from psychology to anth to now nothing.

Which is another problem because i don't know what i want to do and it's stressing me out so much. I can't concentrate. Anytime i do think about it i have basically a breakdown. I'm very much the kind of person who needs to know what they're going to do and have a plan at all times and this is throwing me so hard i can't function.

I don't know whether to just go back and commit to psychology and be content but also have a plan or just be stuck in this hellish limbo I'm in. Either way i need to know by basically today or else I've got to write a whole new personal statement today.

I don't want to regret things but i have so many things i need to do and this is taking up too much mental energy and brain space.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    jorgejorge Posts: 11 Settling in
    edited September 2021
    Hey @ForestWitch

It is absolutely normal to be conflicted between multiple areas of interest when choosing which degree to follow in university. Universities deal with this all the time so I would suggest reaching out to them asking for an advisor to talk to which can better guide you through all your possible choices. Maybe they will even recommend a joint degree for you.
  • Options
    ForestWitchForestWitch Posts: 42 The answer to life, the universe, and everything
    @jorge

Thank you that will be super helpful! i think i may have settled more towards psychology now but i will definitely be doing that :)
  • Options
    AislingDMAislingDM Moderator Posts: 1,666 Extreme Poster
    Trying to discern which degree to choose can be the most frustrating experience for any person, so I am really glad to hear you are leaning towards one of your choices! I did psych so if you have any qs don't hesitate to ask me =)
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.