Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Unsuccessful interview for Uni Air Squadron :(

Anch0r33Anch0r33 Posts: 1,201 Wise Owl
My application to join the university air squadron was unsuccessful, due to the high number of applicants they received this year. They've said we can request feedback which I plan to do. 

I honestly had my heart so set on it and I talked about it so much just as I was so excited at the opportunity. It's all come crashing down and now I just feel really rejected, very upset and even quite embarrassed. I prepared so much for the interview, I gave my all and yet that's not enough? 

I really should have expected it, I let the nerves get in the way and forgot the names of some of the bases - but my knowledge and excitement towards it should've been enough. They said to have a working knowledge. 

I don't know how to tell my family because I just feel so so embarrassed now. I feel like a complete and utter failure. I'm aware that so many other people will have received the same email as me, but that doesn't make it feel any better. 

I don't think I want to join the RAF anymore either, I'll still have an interest but there just doesn't seem to be any point anymore? 

I've proper got myself in a depression over it and I'm mad at myself for that. 

I don't know what else I could've done and if I'm not good enough for a uni air squadron I don't really think I'll be good enough to join the full RAF. 

I'm trying to look on the bright side but I'm really struggling with it right now. 

I just wanna hide or go for a walk by myself. I really don't know what to do with myself now. 

And then I've got to show my face on camera with my seminar at 3. Ughhh. 

It's just such a let down after I let myself get so high with excitement. I always do it though, it's stupid. It's like I always expect to get in (not in a cocky way it's just I can see myself doing it so that excites me and makes me forget that it's actually a selection process) and I can never control that. 

My boyfriend always expects the worst so he's not let down but I can't see why you still wouldn't be let down and why I shouldn't get excited for a least a while. 

It hurts though, it really hurts. I'm really sad and just not sure what to do with myself. 

(Since writing this my boyfriend now knows and he said he's so proud of me and I did well to get as far as I did - and I'll be honest, I had a wee cry :lol: )

It's just so stupid that I let myself get super excited and allow myself to experience the negative feelings afterwards. 

I think I'll get over it soon but yeah, it's just so shitty. Rejection is just so so shitty. 
               (_)
                |
           ()---|---()
                |
                |
         __     |     __
        |\     /^\     /|
          '..-'   '-..'
            `-._ _.-`
                `

Comments

• Options
    Past UserPast User Posts: 90 Budding Regular
    edited October 2020
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    @errrin thank you for that, it helps more than you think :) 

You're right. I just need to take some time to decide what the plan is. I'll get my feedback and when applications come around next year we'll see how I'm feeling about it. 

But I think the thing I need is time, not to be a proper downer but I don't think the disappointments I've had in the past have really helped, but I think more so because it's career related that I care more? It's like they're telling me I'm not good enough so that makes me think I won't be the right fit in the RAF. 

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond, it's honestly so appreciated
                   (_)
                    |
               ()---|---()
                    |
                    |
             __     |     __
            |\     /^\     /|
              '..-'   '-..'
                `-._ _.-`
                    `
  • Options
    coc0maccoc0mac Posts: 1,054 Wise Owl
    Hi @Anch0r33

I'm sorry to hear this - sending hugs your way! :heart:

I totally agree with @errrin. You should feel really proud, and your passion absolutely shines through. Maybe this time just wasn't the right time for whatever reason - but I really believe your passion and genuine care towards this career will get you far :smile:

It can feel so difficult to be so excited about something and then let down. But that doesn't mean that you're not good enough, at all. This is so cliche but this can truly be a learning curve for you, really take on board the feedback when you receive it, and use that energy towards your next application for whatever that may be and just let yourself shine through even better than ever. The fact you were able to secure an interview and gave it your very best shot is more than enough - so I'm here to tell you, even if you didn't get the outcome you hoped for, ' well done, good job :smile:'

I hope that you are feeling better soon, we are right here if you need to talk! x
  • Options
    @coc0mac thank you, it's just been such a draining day and I really feel like my emotions have caught up with me. I guess I haven't really liked admitting it to myself but I've had a lot on my plate the past few years and I've always just pushed it back. I guess it just took a major disappointment for it to all surface. I'm feeling a lot better after a nice hot bath and a trip to sc although I'm just very drained emotionally. 

Sometimes just talking and ranting really helps and it seems like that's something I've needed for a long time coming. 

I'm very disappointed for sure, but it's not the end of the world and I can see that now. There are other options and hopefully next year is the year (since I won't be able to do it after that). 

If not, I'm looking at social work, although that's a touchy subject tbh. I just want to help others and it's something that any prospective job for me would need to do for me to be happy. 

Thank you so much for your kind reply, it was lovely to read <3
                   (_)
                    |
               ()---|---()
                    |
                    |
             __     |     __
            |\     /^\     /|
              '..-'   '-..'
                `-._ _.-`
                    `
  • Options

This was the feedback I received - I'm not good at selling myself so it makes sense. And me forgetting the names due to my nerves has obviously shown. 

I think I'm gonna work on all this stuff and try to get in next year. We'll see what happens. 

It's disappointing because it seems like they're impressed by my achievements but I just didn't sell myself enough. 

I guess at least now I know I can do it with my experience but just need to work on a few things. Feeling a lot more positive today though 
                   (_)
                    |
               ()---|---()
                    |
                    |
             __     |     __
            |\     /^\     /|
              '..-'   '-..'
                `-._ _.-`
                    `
  • Options
    Well here we go again. I've submitted my application for this year and I'm hoping I've addressed the points from my feedback!

Get ready for another unsuccessful post. This is my last year of being able to do it, so gonna put everything into it! I'll be disappointed if I don't get in but I guess it's not the end of the world.

I've already been contacted by the RAF reserves who want to recruit me. We'll do that after uni me thinks.
                   (_)
                    |
               ()---|---()
                    |
                    |
             __     |     __
            |\     /^\     /|
              '..-'   '-..'
                `-._ _.-`
                    `
  • Options
    AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,859 Extreme Poster
    Best of luck for it! Happy to help if you need it :) fingers crossed for you!
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    GreenTeaGreenTea Posts: 12,938 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Good luck anchor
  • Options
    coc0maccoc0mac Posts: 1,054 Wise Owl
    Best of luck @Anch0r33! So proud of you for re-applying :blush:
  • Options
    summerxo21summerxo21 Deactivated Posts: 321 The Mix Regular
    good luck @Anch0r33 will be keeping you in mind <3