Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

college course

ems16ems16 Posts: 27 Boards Initiate
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I’ve got college starting soon and I thought I liked my course up until I’ve looked at everything about it and it just it what I want to do at all

I know I’m gonna hate it and now I don’t know what to do

and just the thought of going to college in general I’m not ready at all
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    RileyRiley Moderator Posts: 991 Part of The Mix Family
    It's totally understandable that you don't feel ready for college @ems16 I think a lot of people tend to feel like that since it's such a huge change. You'd be surprised at how quickly you settle into everything and get used to it all, hopefully knowing that makes it all a little less scary. :)

If you don't mind me asking what about your course made you change your mind on it so much? I think there are options to change your course though I'm a little fuzzy on the details, I'm not sure how long it would take to sort that out.
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    jxss_lxighjxss_lxigh Posts: 16 Settling in
    Hey <3

I'm in my final year of university and really resonated with this post so I'd love to offer some advice :)

It's completely natural to have this feeling of being unready, it's a huge life change and takes a lot of adjusting and settling in. Everyone will be feeling the same nerves and unsure feelings as you but I'm sure you'll be surprised as to how quickly you'll make connections and settle in. It may be tough to put yourself out there at first but once you have you'll feel so relaxed and like you've been there ages!

I can't offer much advice on the course aspect as I'm unsure of the details about what it is you don't like, but I'm sure once you've settled in and connect with others you may feel more relaxed and open minded about your chosen course.

I hope this helps! <3
  • Options
    AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,851 Extreme Poster
    Hey :) echoing what others have said, it's a big step up. It's harder, and it takes time to adjust to the new environment, routes and people. Everyone else around you will feel the same as you do. In time, you'll get up to speed with work. You'll learn to find your way around, and meet people both on your course and other parts of university life.

Give it your best shot! Take the opportunities that come your way, and do your best to find the joy and lessons in all that you do. You might not feel 100% ready yet, and that's absolutely fine - it's a learning curve, and you're more than ready for it <3
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    Past UserPast User Posts: 0 Just got here
    Hey <3

Starting a higher stage in your education is always quite daunting at first, especially before your first day, sometimes you psych yourself out about how hard it may be. But as Azziman said, although it takes time to adjust to all things about college, you will adjust eventually and it will feel like your new way of life.

I think with college courses, in the UK anyways, you are able to take the course for a couple of weeks and then change if you are not happy with it. If this is what you originally wanted to study, but the modules are putting you off, it may be worth trying the course out first and see if you surprise yourself. If not, query about changing your subject(s) and have a look at some other subjects that sound appealing to you.

I remember starting a college where I knew nobody, it was daunting. Many colleges offer ice breakers and getting to know one another in the first few sessions. I'd suggest just diving in head first and introduce yourself to the people within your lessons. You will then be surrounded by other people who are also probably in the same situation as you are.

I wish you the best for starting, embrace it, starting a new chapter of your life can be really exciting <3