Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

What to do once the support you have ends (help cuz idk wat to do now)

Past UserPast User Definition of a mental mess and a certified lost cause :)EnglandPosts: 0 Just got here
The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,610 Legendary Poster
    I’m in a similar position at the moment, my last counsellor told me one day she was leaving her job and if I needed more sessions I’d have to be referred again and go on another waiting list. It’s tough.

Was the counselling you got through school or your GP? If your last one was through school you might be able to get more sessions through a referral from your GP, and if the last one was through your GP you might be able to get more through school. So worth speaking either to your GP or someone at your school as soon as you can.

In the meantime, we’re all here to listen to you and support you as much as we can. There’s also places like ChildLine if you need to talk to someone. I know it’s not always the same as speaking to a professional, but sometimes just having someone to listen can help. The MeeToo app is also good for peer support for your age group.

It’s never easy when that support is taken away suddenly, keep talking about it and take care of yourself <3
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
  • Past UserPast User Definition of a mental mess and a certified lost cause :) EnglandPosts: 0 Just got here
    edited July 2021
  • AnnieDPAnnieDP Posts: 22 Boards Initiate
    I actually had my last therapy session last week, so I completely empathise with those feelings of being isolated and not knowing what to do. I know it can be hard to ask for more help, but you deserve to receive all of the support that you need.

One thing I started doing during therapy was keeping a journal to keep track of my moods, symptoms and potential triggers. It makes me feel a lot more in control of the situation and also provides a sense of routine that I feel secure in. Would something like this potentially work for you until you’re able to get more support?

Let me know if I can help at all! Best wishes :)
  • Ed_Ed_ Moderator Posts: 1,551 Extreme Poster
    edited July 2021
    Hey @LorryTruck - this all sounds like quite an abrupt end to support, and can totally appreciate how that makes things feel uncertain right now. Counselling relationships can be short term, long term or anything in between, it depends on the type of service as to what they can offer. Usually we would expect the counsellor to be aware of the time constraints and to be able to manage that within the sessions, so that they don't open up things that can't be resolved in the time remaining. It sounds like they didn't make this very clear at the start that it would likely finish around now, is that right?

As @AnnieDP has said, it is really normal to feel uncertain when these things come to an end, but everyone deserves support to be able to work through all these feelings. Therapy can be tough work, and can take time to work through it all, and so it is natural that it can feel a bit uncertain when you reach this point of it. That said, there are lots of different things that can help you with this, both in terms of other options to access therapy, but also things you can do such as the mood tracking idea that Annie suggested and other support services like our community. I am sure the community will have lots of ideas that have helped them if you would like to look at those.

In terms of CAMHS, you are right, this is the NHS mental health service for young people. What they can offer will change depending on what area you live in, but it is likely that most areas will have counselling available. We have some more info here that may explain CAMHS in more detail. It is possible your school can refer you, but also you can approach your GP to get a referral that way too. DocReady is a great website that talks through what you can expect to happen when you go to a GP to talk about your mental health, whilst also having a checklist builder that can help you prepare your visit to a GP which may make it easier to talk to them about

One option that may be worth considering is The Mix's counselling service. We can offer up to 8 sessions which may help bridge the gap whilst waiting for CAMHS or being re-referred to your school counsellor. It is free and takes place either over the phone or webchat. You can find out more about this here.

As you say, whatever happens, the community will always be here for you to help take your mind off things <3
    FAQHow to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.

• Past UserPast User Definition of a mental mess and a certified lost cause :) EnglandPosts: 0 Just got here
  • kimberley1907kimberley1907 Posts: 84 Budding Regular
    This happened to me through my school counselling when I was at school. I was moved around to different counsellors because they kept leaving and received stable support for maybe just over a year and when I left year 11 and went back into year 12, I never saw her again. I also had it with CAMHS, albeit I knew it was going to end, but I was left after that with no support since they didn't think I was severe enough to be referred to adult MH.

Each school is different though, mine had no limit, and it depended on who needed the help and who didn't I would think. I would bring it up with your school, or counsellor, and say that you didn't know it was going to be ending, and you'd feel comfortable with some more sessions if that's possible for them to do. But again, every school is different so I can't exactly say.

Also, if you don't mind me asking, how have you been finding the counselling?? Does it help, and how do you feel after each session? If you feel like you really need it, and it's something that supports you, again I would try to bring it up with the school, and ask them if they can give you more sessions.

Hope this is helpful :)
  • kimberley1907kimberley1907 Posts: 84 Budding Regular
    I felt the same! Sometimes the sessions where you feel worse actually end up doing more good than you think. You feel low and negative, but it's because you've brought stuff up to the surface and you've spoken about it, which is good!

I understand how you feel about reluctancy. I didn't access support for ages, and my friend actually did it for me, since I thought the same way you did. Other people may also need support, but that doesn't mean you have to ignore your wellbeing. You are 100% deserving of support and help, no matter how big or small your situation may be.

Hearing that the counselling has been good for you means that it's been beneficial for you and I think if you can't get further counselling at school, accessing help outside might be a good idea.