Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

UCAS personal statement

Past UserPast User Recovering🥀LondonPosts: 0 Just got here
edited March 27 in Work & Study
The user and all related content has been deleted.
Post edited by JustV on
Tagged:

Comments

• ApolloApollo Posts: 804 Part of The Mix Family
    edited June 2021
    I don't think they matter too much, I got into uni with a really rotten one twice. Assuming you're in high school probably just ask your teacher or ask others what they've written

I just talked about how I was passionate and used extracurricular activities to show that I was a hard worker.
    🎵 I feel so funny these days, I'd rather sleep than stay awake 🎵
  • coc0maccoc0mac Posts: 1,054 Wise Owl
    When I wrote mine I first googled the sorts of skills needed for my subject. I did Psychology, so I was needing to show good people skills like empathy, emotional resilience etc, as well as a scientific rigour. Once I knew the skills, I then looked for examples from my personal life of me showing these skills. This could be volunteer experience, something you've done at school, anything like that.

Good luck! :heart:
  • Past UserPast User Recovering🥀 LondonPosts: 0 Just got here
  • AbbyOwlAbbyOwl Posts: 125 The Mix Convert
    Hi @zaynab_5 :smile:

When I wrote mine, I started with a short opening statement (to try and get their attention) and tied that into why I was interested in Psychology. Along with the skills and activities, I think they want to see your personality come through and any personal experiences that may have made you want to study that particular subject.

Good luck with your statement! <3
  • Nutella1234Nutella1234 Posts: 4 Newbie
    Hey @zaynab_5 I also included my ambitions, as well as what interests me about the subject. I also included relevant experience, skills, or achievements I have gained from education, work, or other activities. Good luck with the personal statement!
  • lovemimoonlovemimoon Posts: 2,318 Boards Champion
    Heya!

When I wrote my personal statement, I included the subjects I studied, why it was interesting and how it was relevant to my uni course. If the subject doesn't seem relevant, then I would still add it as an alternative interest. Bonus point, if you can link it to your uni course.

I was going to say something about activities but I'm having a bit of a brain fart.

Remember that you're up against thousands of students so the uni staff are going to be looking through lots of personal statements. Convince them why you're suitable for the course and, to echo @AbbyOwl let your personality shine through your statement!
  • naominaomi Posts: 94 Budding Regular
    Hi @zaynab_5
    This is more general advice to your whole personal statement as opposed to in relation to your first draft but when I wrote my personal statement, I made sure to read articles and watch lectures because I was applying for a health science subject. If you are going down that route it is useful to do this because you can build your knowledge and show to the course leaders that you are actually serious about learning this subject in general.
    I think also including how your current subjects will help you in this particular course. I also think that if you have any experience or any volunteering opportunities that you have carried out then to mention those linking them to the skills that you have acquired. Even mentioning things you have done in school such as being part of a sports team, if your course values good teamwork skills then mention how being part of a sports team allowed you to build and exercise that skill.
    I hope this helps!!!
  • JordanJordan Moderator Posts: 343 The Mix Regular
    Just about to graduate, so have written a UCAS statement and a statement for a Masters course. The people looking at your statement are looking for you to show an interest/ambition in the subject. Talk about why you want to study that particular subject, the unique experiences in your life that motivate you to study it. If you have any knowledge of the subject outside of school(through a book you've read, a lecture you've watched, an article you've read) mention how you found that interesting. Tie all of this into skills and qualities that mean you'd do well on the course.

Make sure it is concise and to the point. If I remember right you have a specific word limit for UCAS. This means that every word you write needs to be helping you convince the admissions representative why you are the best for this course.

Make sure to avoid things like long quotes and other stuff from other people. The person reading your statement is interested in what makes you stand out as a stellar candidate, not what someone else has said.

Make sure to proofread your statement(multiple times!). You don't want to be caught out by a spelling/grammar error. Read it, get your friends to read it, get your family to read it. Read it aloud to make sure it flows well.

Best of luck! :smile:
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,826 Extreme Poster
    Agreed with lots of great advice above! I'd definitely read a couple books on a topic within the field that you're interested in. It gives you something to talk about, but also shows that you've spent time outside the classroom to learn about something you're genuinely interested in!x
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • RuhRuh Posts: 48 Boards Initiate
    Sorry I’v come late to this topic but there’s plenty of examples online that will help on the student room and other student forums depending what ur applying for