Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Is SH an addiction? *TW*

DistractionDistraction Posts: 438 Listening Ear
edited June 2021 in Politics & Debate
Is self harm an on going addiction?

Is it like alcoholism and drugs. To be honest I think we're always recovering, every day. However it's not always seen as an addiction but if it isn't why is it hard to stop and stay away from?

What are peoples views on this, do you think it is an addiction, a phase, just something to get over?
Post edited by Distraction on

Comments

• Past UserPast User Definition of a mental mess and a certified lost cause :) EnglandPosts: 0 Just got here
    edited June 2021
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ForestWitchForestWitch Posts: 42 The answer to life, the universe, and everything
    Hiya! It is 100% an addiction.

(TW)
    It's one of those things where even if everything is going great in your life and you feel like you've recovered it takes one thing to push those thoughts back up to the surface. For example i didn't do as well as i wanted to on a test and boom the first thing i think of is SH. I think we can all agree that's not a normal and healthy response.

From my own personal experience, it is something which the second something goes wrong and i start to feel a certain way again comes to mind. It feels like a solution or some kind of retribution. Furthermore, it doesn't matter how long it has been it's most likely something i and other will be dealing with for the rest of our lives. And like other addictions at times it's all consuming and the only thought you have, in fact you can't imagine living without it as a coping mechanism as it's became so ingrained into you. That's why it is so hard to stop.

I hope you are doing well everyone! and i 100% agree with what you said @LorryTruck and I'm sorry to hear you went through such a bad time with it all.
  • Past UserPast User Definition of a mental mess and a certified lost cause :) EnglandPosts: 0 Just got here
  • ForestWitchForestWitch Posts: 42 The answer to life, the universe, and everything
    Exactly @LorryTruck
    (TW)
    It is such a difficult thing to try to recover from. Your brain is constantly pulled in two directions of i want to yet also know that you shouldn't. Again from personal experience the times where i have done SH i always regret it as soon as what I've done sinks in. Recovery is hard, but most definitely not impossible.
  • DistractionDistraction Posts: 438 Listening Ear
    I agree with you both @LorryTruck and @ForestWitch

TW

I also think it's a shame that it's not known as an addictive thing because for me I felt like I was going crazy but I just didn't understand that I really needed help in recovery. I thought I wasn't trying hard enough and I didn't know why I was still getting these urges after being free for a period of time.

I felt bad because I told someone I stopped and in theory that should have been the end of it but I couldn't and I didn't know why and I couldn't tell her because she thought I was past it. Now a few years down the line I'm really struggling and I'm realising it may be an addiction and I'm ready to talk to her and accept help but it's been too long, if people already knew it was an addiction then maybe it wouldn't be so scary to talk about because in reality I don't think it ever really goes away.

Sometimes it annoys me when people ask if anything has brought it on because sometimes it's just there, it's always there, lingering, like today I was happy driving and listening to music and I just wanted to make scars, that shouldn't be a thought, it's not right and it's so upsetting and lonely, that's why I think they should make an AA groups but for harmers.

especially when we look like we've got our lives together, it looks like we're fine but like all addicts sometimes it's not true it can be exhausting trying to keep it together. It hurts all the time but the only way we know how to fix that is the bad way, there's no way out, it's just on a loop but it's a loop we have to keep fighting and we can together <3

Sorry I'm quite tired hope this sounds ok
    @Distraction I agree with you all the way, and you really summed it up beautifully :)
  • AislingDMAislingDM Moderator Posts: 1,666 Extreme Poster
    TW: discussion about self-harm (SH)

Everything you've all said here I couldn't agree more with. SH can be such a long process for people and especially your point about the 'urges' being brought about by many different things really encapsulates this @ForestWitch . I suppose it would also seem that the SH we are all talking about is something that has been going on for a while (and truly I am beyond grateful at all of your honesty, love u guys x) and maybe someone who engaged in SH for a short period might not feel it was an addiction. But truly I do not know? Plus one person might define it as an addiction and another who has a similar experience just might not love describing their experience in that way. It's all so complex and that's why it's so important we have these discussions together <3:)
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • tkdogtkdog Posts: 281 The Mix Regular
    I think it's complicated. It can be for some as once you done it u do it more or it can be contagious.
    But for some it is a one time/rare thing in moments of high stress especially for someone who had intense anger issues or need attention or yea channeling harm that would go elsewhere. I think it's important to look for alternatives to it as it is hurting you physically. It's not a good use of energy.