Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Top tips for managing stress at school or university?

JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,306 Part of The Furniture
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Mine would probably: ask for help.

It might sound like a small step but sometimes it's the most difficult one, especially if people don't know you're struggling or expect you to be okay. Most teachers (I hope!) want you to succeed, and they'll usually be happy to lay out the options if you need some support. Whether that's in the form of some extra time with your teacher, help from student support, or visiting the school counsellor. Depending on what kind of studying you're doing, you might be able to get extensions on things like coursework too. :)
All behaviour is a need trying to be met.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    AislingDMAislingDM Moderator Posts: 1,666 Extreme Poster
    I'd describe this as an odd piece of advice, but one that I've realised a lot more people need to hear: You can, and should, submit extenuating circumstances forms. If you're not sure what they are here is a definition: "Extenuating circumstances are circumstances which: have a significant impact on your ability to attend or complete assessment(s), and. are exceptional, and. are outside your control, and. occurred during or shortly before the assessment in question."

The reason I say you can and should submit them, is because a lot of people do not feel like they deserve to or that they will be taken seriously by unis. Whilst these are really legitimate and understandable worries, the impact of not submitting can be a pretty awful situation even harder to process :( Lots of people feel that ECs are 'only' for really immensely traumatic events (such as the death of an extremely close loved one). This is not the case, and many unis are starting to move away from this idea that mental ill health and breakups along with the experience of structural oppression does not constitute ECs. You deserve to get support when you are struggling, no matter what, so never feel the ECs forms aren't 'for you' because things aren't 'too bad' <3
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    Rose124Rose124 Posts: 69 Boards Initiate
    Hi

My top tip for managing stress at school is through To Do lists.

Well, first of all, i take three deep breaths and remind myself that everything is alright and that everything will be alright. Because, i promise you this: everything is alright and everything will be alright, even if it doesn't feel like it right now.

Then, i grab a piece of paper and a pen (whether that be a scrap of paper, or a piece of paper in a notebook - i prefer to write my to do lists in a notebook so that i can go back and look at them to remind myself off the projects i have to do and to cross of projects that I have completed) -. And i write down all the projects that I have to complete, and then beside them i write down the deadline for when this project needs to be completed by. Underneath the title of each project/assignment/piece of coursework that needs to be completed, i write down tips for how I will complete the project - i find breaking the project down into smaller chunks that i can complete separately and then join together to create the whole assignment really helps me -

Once I've finished each project/assignment/piece of coursework, I then cross that particular piece of coursework off my to do list and watch how the to do list slowly or quickly decreases in size.

Hope this helps anyone.
  • Options
    meilameila Posts: 83 Budding Regular
    Hi all :)
    My tip for managing stress is to always look at the bigger picture, and how all those little things you do everyday are contributing to doing something you love <3 I think it's important to study things you genuinely love in uni- that's a great first way to avoid unnecessary stress. Another option is to pick a uni that is right for you. For example, if I had gone to a traditional uni, there's no way I would've coped with my recent autism diagnosis! But I found an online uni that really solved that problem for me <3
    I totally agree with @AislingDM , never be afraid to use extenuating circumstances forms. I have, and they have saved me so much stress. I totally understand the feeling that feels like everyone is rushing ahead of you whilst you need time, but it's so important to take that time to grow and understand yourself; your health is always the most important thing <3
    Also, I find establishing early on someone to reach out to in times of need - maybe a teacher or supervisor at the school or university- does so much for feeling supported and working through stressful times :3
    I hope this helps someone!
    With love and hugs,
    Meila :3<3
  • Options
    DandelionDandelion Posts: 1,911 Extreme Poster
    Make sure to allow yourself breaks. It can feel like there is so much to do all the time and even if there is it’s is so important to give yourself some time off and tbh you’ll probably get more work done in the long term, if you’re not wearing yourself down. Also echoing what Mike said definitely reach out for help if you need it, I was so scared to ask for help all the way through school and first year at uni then when I found myself getting worse in second year I had to ask for some help and speaking to someone helped me so much. I know it can be scary to do but trust me it’s definitely worth it. ❤️❤️
    The steps you take don’t need to be big, they just need to take you in the right direction. 
  • Options
    AnnieDPAnnieDP Posts: 22 Boards Initiate
    Reaching out to my university and thereby being able to access extra support definitely helped me a lot when I was there. I agree with the previous comments, take things bit by bit whenever you can as overloading yourself with tasks can make things a lot more difficult. One thing I did was keep a journal to track my moods, and also just so I'd have paper to draw or scribble on if I needed an immediate outlet at times of high stress. I hope things get easier and we're always here if you need more support, take care :)