Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Save the lambs!

lovenature773lovenature773 Posts: 57 Boards Initiate
So this probably sounds extremely dumb BUT
Why do we kill lambs? Their born once a year (in spring) and can’t even live a whole life. I mean why can’t they kill the older sheep’s when they are growing a bit old and had a life of fun and everything?!
My Nan says lambs have like 5 years of life in 1 human year but it’s still pretty dumb. Sorry if this doesn’t make sense just need everyone else’s opinion?
Like I want to be a vegetarian but my mum doesn’t want to waste money on veggie foods instead. I find it quite annoying.
I fear not the dark
But what may lurk within

Comments

• Options
    JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,312 Part of The Furniture
    Yeah, this is kinda sad. Some animals are slaughtered early in their life because it supposedly tastes different or better. Veal is the same - they're just baby cows.

Reminds me of this Viva graphic I saw once that really stuck with me. It shows each animal and when it's usually slaughtered in comparison to it's natural life expectancy.

(not trying to preach, just thought it was interesting!)

n8dwkulovbgs.png
    All behaviour is a need trying to be met.
  • Options
    rainskyerainskye Posts: 130 The Mix Convert
    Hi!

I initially went vegan when I was 15 years old. My parents eat meat every day and buy non-veggie products for themselves. They didn't think that me being vegan would last too long but they were lenient enough to buy my vegan foods. Over time, they got used to it because I would educate them, although they won't be bothered about going vegan themselves, luckily they were able to support me.

I was wondering if you could maybe sit down with your mum and let her know why you want to go vegetarian etc.
  • Options
    rainskye wrote: »
    Hi!

I initially went vegan when I was 15 years old. My parents eat meat every day and buy non-veggie products for themselves. They didn't think that me being vegan would last too long but they were lenient enough to buy my vegan foods. Over time, they got used to it because I would educate them, although they won't be bothered about going vegan themselves, luckily they were able to support me.

I was wondering if you could maybe sit down with your mum and let her know why you want to go vegetarian etc.

I will try soon but I’m tryna eat more veg and not eat much meat it bothers my mum but I just say I’m not hungry since it doesn’t feel right!
    Thank you 😊
    I fear not the dark
    But what may lurk within
  • Options
    Mike wrote: »
    Yeah, this is kinda sad. Some animals are slaughtered early in their life because it supposedly tastes different or better. Veal is the same - they're just baby cows.

Reminds me of this Viva graphic I saw once that really stuck with me. It shows each animal and when it's usually slaughtered in comparison to it's natural life expectancy.

(not trying to preach, just thought it was interesting!)

n8dwkulovbgs.png

This is quite interesting!
    I want to be a vet or a job about animals so this is cool to study and it is sad isn’t it :( but sadly it’s how the world works

I fear not the dark
    But what may lurk within
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,858 Extreme Poster
    Good on you if you want to change your lifestyle! Though I should say, it's much harder to do when you're living at home, especially if you're not the one cooking/earning/grocery shopping. Had a friend in this situation - they started by going vegetarian only at school canteen and whenever they ate out with friends. I think they fully switched over once they moved out for uni. It's not ideal for sure, but might be a better way of navigating the situation :)
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    Anch0r33Anch0r33 Posts: 1,201 Wise Owl
    I'm veggie and have been my whole life. It's disgusting how animals are treated. Sorry but if there wasn't such a mass production of them then they wouldn't need the argument of the higher carbon footprint.

Over populating the world with meat products is bad for the environment. It's what caused covid, it's what will cause every other man killing disease. It's simply not supposed to happen but of course, humans, being selfish take and take and take and don't give anything back.

The earth will be here long after we are. We'll be wiped out by a natural phenomenon or a man made disease or a nuclear bomb or something yet earth will recover, because it will be here long after us.

Global warming won't kill the earth - it will wipe humans off the face of the earth and them she can recover.

Just go search about earth taking over abandoned human made structures and you'll see what I'm talking about.
                   (_)
                    |
               ()---|---()
                    |
                    |
             __     |     __
            |\     /^\     /|
              '..-'   '-..'
                `-._ _.-`
                    `