Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Book(s) That Changed Your Life

lovemimoonlovemimoon Posts: 2,318 Boards Champion
This could be anything:
- did it inspire you to become a better person?
- change your perspective on something?
- got you into doing something new?

I used to read a lot of manga in Year 7 until a librarian recommended that I should read a book. I picked up Malorie Blackman's "Boys Don't Cry" and immediately fell in love with her writing. One thing led to another, and now I'm a huge bookworm. :sweat_smile::joy:
Tagged:

Comments

• Ed_Ed_ Moderator Posts: 1,551 Extreme Poster
    Love this thread @lovemimoon and agree with you on Malorie Blackman, such a powerful writer. The Noughts and Crosses series was a really important one for me growing up, understanding about how racism and prejudice impacts people. Will have a think about other books that I loved growing up too!
    FAQHow to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.

• lovemimoonlovemimoon Posts: 2,318 Boards Champion
    Aidan wrote: »
    Louis Sachar's Holes when I was a lot younger, it taught me things happen for a reason and that what goes around comes around - whether positive or negative!

I remember reading this book for English in Year 7! I didn't want to put that book down cos there was so much going much on. Have you watched the movie adaptation?
  • SkyeSkye Posts: 103 The Mix Convert
    Five Feet Apart by Rachael Lippincott and Mikki Daughtry.

I just love that book. I would have read hundreds of novels by now but it still remains one of my constant favourites (the only one that doesn't have any new fictional world or creatures).
    It changed my perspective about alot of things. About life, about love. How I take the people I love for granted. There are people out there who can't hug there best friend or even hold the hand of people they love and here I have constantly arguing with them. There are people fighting so hard to live and I'm always ready to throw my life away. Idk I just love that book so much.
    Won't you come over and watch the stars with me?

• Lucy307Lucy307 Posts: 1,171 Wise Owl
    The Midnight Library by Matt Haig. Put life and particularly regret into perspective, was a really easy read too
    Treat yourself as you would treat a good friend
    Hey @Skye

That sounds like a really good read! <3
    Thank you for sharing!
  • AislingDMAislingDM Moderator Posts: 1,666 Extreme Poster
    AmazING thread I love this :)

Now, it's probably going to sound silly but Twilight by Stephanie Meyer, she herself is deeply problematic, as is the book. However, rereading Twilight as an adult has really helped me to understand that my conception of love was really skewed by a lot of the media/books/tv I consumed in my teenage years. I think it's hard for me to reconcile with the idea that love does not have to be the all consuming thing in one's life and having friendships and other relationships is great too. I am grateful for what I have learned. Reflecting is the best <3
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
    @AislingDM

Completely agreed! I believe this type of representation in love and relationships, specifically in teen/YA media is much more common than we realize. There are a lot of books/TVs that present relationships in this manner, and I'm not just referring to romantic relationships. Friends and family too. There are some protagonists that exhibit this type of behaviour as well and it's portrayed as a good thing?
    I believe it's the mishandle of that situation.
    There are books that explore this type of relationship dynamics and handle it well! =)

Out of curiosity, why is Stephanie Meyer problematic?
  • AislingDMAislingDM Moderator Posts: 1,666 Extreme Poster
    100% you're so right @lovemimoon like there are lots of books that really try to go against this model of quite toxic love, but I know Twilight is quite old now (I think it's from 2005!!). But as you say even TV shows and stuff still portray some unhealthy rels like Riverdale has some uncomfy moments in it haha. Ofc we should take tv and books with a pinch of salt but I do feel they've influence my perception of what love should look like so it's important to keep looking in at myself to prevent any negative effects of that!!

Good question about Stephanie Meyer and I think it's quite a multi-faceted answer (including some of her portrayals of unhealthy relationships) but the main overarching reason is that she's been racist in a number of ways. A lot of Native people have written online about not liking the way the Quileute people and their history are portrayed (particularly the real-life Quileute people) in the books/films and the fact Stephanie gave 0 money to them despite using their history as a focal point for the novels is quite messed up. Here's some articles that explain it a lot better than I do (the first one is by a First Nations actor who was in the Twilight films)!

https://vice.com/en/article/kwkkzy/as-a-native-actor-i-applaud-those-who-walked-off-the-set-of-adam-sandlers-racist-movie-971

https://screenrant.com/twilight-quileute-controversy-native-mythology-scandal-explained/

I just googled 'Stephanie Meyer' controversy after reading some stuff on Twitter and I learned a lot about it. I'm grateful that people have taken the time to dissect the negative impact of her books <3 So, the copy I'm reading is second-hand, so as not to give her money!
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.