Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Young Carers Action Day !

Millie2787Millie2787 Community Champion Posts: 5,146 Part of The Furniture
edited March 2021 in General Chat
Happy Young Carers Action Day !

For those who aren’t aware or are a little confused this day used to be back in January and was formally known as Young carers awareness day but it’s back with a fresh name and a new date !

Young carers action day is something that is ran By Carers Trust to raise awareness and focus on different Themes this year sooo *Drum roll* this years theme is

Protecting Young Carers Futures!

Protecting our futures is so so important. Protecting anyone’s futures is but particularly for young carers . Past research has shown that we receive on average 9 grades lower at GCSE and we’re more likely not to proceed into further education.

But instead of dwelling too much on the negatives today is also about celebrating the skills that we’ve learnt as a result of our care roles.

So I’ll start ! Here is a picture of me with one of the many skills I’ve learnt as a young adult carer that I will take into the future with me 💜

ngfh0v53tolk.jpeg

What can you do to help ?

You can wear your hair in a crazy way and post your pictures on social media with the #Hair2care

7hp012jw9icz.jpeg

Or you can wear purple both of which is helping to raise awareness of today !

Sometimes all you need is one person to believe in you , for you to begin to believe in yourself.
Post edited by Millie2787 on

Comments

• Options
    Ed_Ed_ Moderator Posts: 1,551 Extreme Poster
    Love this @Millie2787 - particularly this being framed in terms of a strengths based approach. Whilst there are obviously a lot of challenges in terms of being a carer, it also develops a lot of skills that are really helpful in life too. Those advocacy skills being a perfect example <3

Also turns out my bed hair this morning actually did have a purpose 😂

Just to add to the thread, we have a new section on our website dedicated to young/young adult carers that thought may be helpful for people to see: https://www.themix.org.uk/young-carers
    FAQHow to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.

• Options
    _Tech_Addict_Girl_Tech_Addict_Girl Posts: 1,489 Wise Owl
    @Millie2787 love it ❤️
  • Options
    Emma_Emma_ Community Manager Posts: 599 Incredible Poster
    Love this @Millie2787 !

I can imagine its a tough job but I love how you've highlighted the strengths, as like Ed said, being a young carer builds so many skills that are invaluable <3