Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Reaching out to businesses - any tips?

coc0maccoc0mac Posts: 1,054 Wise Owl
Hiiii,

So I've spoken on here a few times about not knowing what I'd like to do after uni, other than knowing that I'd love to work within well-being/mental health, something creative and ideally to do with writing.

I absolutely love the brand 'Zoella' - they have a website filled with really great articles and blog posts that inspire me to no end. Earlier, I made a comment to someone saying 'obviously this is unrealistic, but I'd love to work for them writing posts about mental health.' The head of the brand is actually an ambassador for Mind and speaks openly about her mental health, so it does suit them. And with my psychology degree, and currently studying a masters in mental health, I have some credibility. But then I thought...does it have to be 100% unrealistic?

That gave me the idea to reach out to them about taking guest submissions. Give them the idea of a mental health section, offer some posts for free etc. Of course, they could absolutely say no and I do think that's the most likely outcome. But they could also say yes...right? Never know unless I try!

But I just wasn't sure how I should go about that. Would I need to pitch the idea first, and then send over some work to look at if they are interested. Should I write a few articles that fit their brand first, then send them over and pitch the idea? Or is this just a crazy idea altogether?

Any thoughts would be really appreciated please! Thank you so much x
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,851 Extreme Poster
    Hey :) That's an awesome idea, I think it's a great goal to go for! I think it's a good idea to work on your craft - that way, you learn how to find your style and get better at writing. But also, the people at Zoella would also want to see some past examples of your work. Perhaps finding a role at a smaller page, or even starting your own, would be a good way to create a portfolio of your works. As you keep building your works, you gain credibility and a following for people who are interested in your articles. Then, when you go to approach them, you've got a much better chance of getting that opportunity to work with them :) At the moment, I'd focus on building some high-quality examples, and showcase the best of your talent! <3
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    coc0maccoc0mac Posts: 1,054 Wise Owl
    Wow @Azziman, thank you SO much for this! This is all such helpful advice and makes total sense. You've given me a great direction and place to start, I really appreciate that. Thank you so very much! :heart: