Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Emetophobia

independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,610 Legendary Poster
I know this might be a strange question to ask but does anyone else struggle a lot with emetophobia (i.e. the fear of vomiting and other people vomiting). If you do how do you cope with it? I guess even if you don’t how do you cope when you feel really anxious?

This is something I’ve struggled with since I was about 11 and people being sick near me makes me really really anxious. So for example like tonight if someone in my house isn’t well I’m useless because all I’m doing is panicking :( 
“Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”

Comments

• LaineLaine Deactivated Posts: 2,762 Boards Guru
    I can really relate to that.
    I don't struggle that much however I do get the intense wave of fear before throwing up and I do my best not to.

My brother has it big time.
    He will not eat food if he's unsure how many days it's been open.
    Stays away from fish. Cooks his food for longer to make sure it's done.

Everything he can to avoid getting ill he will do but he is happy with that.

If someone else is sick he normally puts his headphones in and drowns it out. Sometimes he can breathe deep, stay calm and be there for someone.

When actually sick, things to settle your starch is good you know ginger or peppermint. 
    And just deep breaths. But don't beat yourself up it's really hard and I'm sure those around you will understand x

🌈Positive thoughts🌈

"This is my family. I found it, all on my own.
    It's little, and Broken, but still good. Yeah. Still good." ~ Stitch

"Lately, I've been struggling with all the simple things in my life" ~ Cian Ducrot

"I don't know if it's because my heart hurts or I'm insecure" ~ Juice Wrld
  • Past UserPast User Posts: 0 Just got here
    Hey @independent_

I don’t struggle with emetophobia but I do know a few people who do. An estimated 6-7% of females struggle with emetaphobia and 1-3% of males. I know that doesn’t make it any easier I just wanted to say you’re certainly not alone.

We all have our own little fears and struggles, don’t beat yourself up your only human. And like Laine said I’m sure the people around you understand. Also like Laine said ginger is brilliant for when you’re feeling sick, a friend of mine always used to carry around ginger biscuits especially if she was going on a bus or boat. Music helps too and so can fiddling with something, my mum used to tell me to hold a penny and twiddle it, the movement can help distract your mind.

Sorry this wasn’t much help, hope you have a wonderful day  :)
  • SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
    edited December 2020
    Heya @independent_

that does sound awful 

when I was younger I had a massive fear of sick. If someone was sick in the house I would be sick. Even if it was because they had a hang over which I obviously didn’t catch. And when someone was ill from a bug or something I would be really scared about bacteria and didn’t want to catch  anything and I would not go anywhere near the toilet until I really had to because of someone was sick in there. And when I did go in I would cover my mouth & nose and just feel really sick. I didn’t really cope with it. It was just what it was really cause was young

. Didn’t really know what to do. But I guess there are way around it. Ways to reduce your anxiety. Like think about why does it make you anxious? Are you scared it’s a bug and you don’t want to catch it? Or is it jusy because it’s a bit gross and horrible ? Do you have ways in which you reduce your anxiety in general that you can use for this? Or can think of any ways ? Maybe Like mindfulness. ?

I’m not bothered by sick anymore. I think it’s because I’ve been ill so many times I’ve gotten used to it myself. Most of it being self inflicted and so other people’s doesn’t bother me. 
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
  • independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,610 Legendary Poster
    Thank you so much everyone @Laine, @SpaceOtter and @Shaunie <3 the advice and support is much appreciated. 

I think for me it centres around the fact that if someone's being sick they're ill and I worry what could be wrong with them, maybe that I could catch whatever it is or that there's something really serious wrong with them (irrational I know). Then I feel bad because I panic so much that I struggle to be there for the person and I hate not being there for someone when they're struggling.
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
  • Past UserPast User Posts: 0 Just got here
    Hey, I think that shows what an amazing compassionate caring person you are. But I understand completely how it can feel frustrating. 
    We can’t always be there for everyone or support them in the way we want to. But I’m sure you can support them in other ways, just like how your kind words on here support so many people.

I don’t think it’s necessarily  irrational, it’s understandable to be worried about the people we care about.

I’m sorry if any of this came across patronising or rude. I’m always here to listen if you ever need someone to talk to. Have a very happy day  <3

• Kesh260807Kesh260807 Posts: 47 Boards Initiate
    I know this might be a strange question to ask but does anyone else struggle a lot with emetophobia (i.e. the fear of vomiting and other people vomiting). If you do how do you cope with it? I guess even if you don’t how do you cope when you feel really anxious?

This is something I’ve struggled with since I was about 11 and people being sick near me makes me really really anxious. So for example like tonight if someone in my house isn’t well I’m useless because all I’m doing is panicking :( 
    i dont nessecarlly have this i am very travel sick aswell as prone to getting sick by triggers like smell or some foods i know my sister when i get travel sick doesnt really like it becuase it makes her feel weird and tells me to stop. when someone is getting sick i recomend looking away as try think or do something else but please dont tell anyone to stop (not saying you are doing this) it can upset becuase it is not nessecarly there fault 

for getting sick yourself if your aware of the feeling before throwing up try some mints or just try breathe if in a car try opening the window or have mints again 

hope this helps
    You are loved and you are amazing
  • Kesh260807Kesh260807 Posts: 47 Boards Initiate

i dont nessecarlly have this i am very travel sick aswell as prone to getting sick by triggers like smell or some foods i know my sister when i get travel sick doesnt really like it becuase it makes her feel weird and tells me to stop. when someone is getting sick i recomend looking away as try think or do something else but please dont tell anyone to stop (not saying you are doing this) it can upset becuase it is not nessecarly there fault 

for getting sick yourself if your aware of the feeling before throwing up try some mints or just try breathe if in a car try opening the window or have mints again 

hope this helps
    i alsi wanted to add dont feel your doing something wrong i know whenever someone else is sick i get sick as well it can be really hard luckily this doesnt happen that often but if your afraid of getting ill proably do somethings such as wearing a coat in cold weather to prevent remember you cant alway prevent illness but there is always mediences to help you it is really hard and well done for being strong xx
    You are loved and you are amazing
  • strawberry26strawberry26 Posts: 11 Settling in
    edited July 2021
    im so bad with sick its horrible
    ive struggles for years since every year my family does long car journeys to Wales. i dont get carsick so i dont have a problem, but it makes me so anxious as i cant tell how anyone else is feeling. its got to a point now where its affecting my diet, which is not so good but i cant help it :/ if i dont know how long a piece of food has been open for, i will refuse to have it. it hurts me to do that since its such a waste of food and money but i truly cant help it.
    we're all in this together:)