Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Anti-Bullying Week: What To Do If You See Bullying and Supporting Someone Who Is Being Bullied

DancerDancer Community Champion Posts: 7,788 Master Poster
Me and @Eleanor have worked together to create today's discussion for Anti-Bullying Week and today we have combined together 2 different aspects of Anti-Bullying Week content. I have written about What To Do If You See Bullying and @Eleanor has written about Supporting Someone Who Is Being Bullied. We hope that this discussion is helpful and that you enjoy reading it. Stay safe and be kind. :)<3

What To Do If You See Bullying

Being a witness of bullying can be really distressing to watch whether you are being targeted or if you are just a bystander. It is very important to not just watch someone being bullied and not do anything. You need to try and take action to stop the bullying from going on and to help the victim/s. Someone who just watches bullying without taking action is doing something just as bad as actually bullying someone.

There are many reasons as to why someone might not want to take action if they see someone being bullied and this includes not wanting to get involved in someone else's business or worrying about getting hurt by the bully or bullies. These are valid worries but it does not justify not trying to take action.

If you see bullying, it is very important to keep yourself safe whilst also protecting the victim or victims. You should try and speak to a responsible adult who can take action and help stop the bullying. You should also try and be kind to the victim or victims so they do not feel threatened around you or scared of you which might discourage them from truthfully speaking up about what has been happening to them. 

It is also important to get support for yourself afterwards if it has been a triggering situation for you or if you end up being a target of bullying as well. Remember to stand up and speak out!

Supporting Someone Who Is Being Bullied

You may be in a position where your friend or someone you know is being bullied and you're not sure how to support them. Bullying can have a huge impact on someone so it's important to consider how the bullying has affected them and to support them through this tough time.

Let them know they don't deserve it

When comments or names are constantly thrown at us, it becomes easy for us to take them on board even if they aren't true. If someone told you that you were ugly ten times a week, you might start to believe despite the fact you're not! Be sure to let your friend know that they don't deserve to be bullied, no one deserves to be treated poorly like that. Reassure them that they deserve the same right to safety as everyone else does and that what is happening to them is wrong.

Be there for them

Sometimes bullies find it easier to attack their victims when they are alone, so make sure your friend knows you're there for them and stick by their side when the bullies are around. Let them know that you're also there if they want to talk about it, it can often help to tell a friend what is happening so they can help (or even just to vent!). Let them know they're not alone.

Treat them with kindness

When a friend is being bullied, they may become used to hearing negative comments or possible even physical as well as emotional pain. Try not to replicate this for them, even if you're just joking. It is likely that your friend trusts you and these comments or actions may be triggering for them and cause further emotional pain.

Further Support

Here I have linked some organisations with some tips for supporting someone who is being bullied!

https://www.bullying.co.uk/general-advice/how-to-help-someone-being-bullied/

https://www.skillsyouneed.com/parent/help-someone-cope-with-bullying.html

https://youngminds.org.uk/find-help/feelings-and-symptoms/bullying/

https://www.themix.org.uk/sex-and-relationships/friendship/beat-bullying-6285.html
"There's a part of me I can't get back. A little girl grew up too fast. All it took was once. I'll never be the same." ~ Demi Lovato
"The way that I have found the light in my life is through the expressive arts because I know that I will be accepted for the way I am." ~ Me
"I'm going to get strong again and see you soon. " ~ Anonymous 

Comments

• Options
    GreenTeaGreenTea Posts: 12,938 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Great thread guys!
  • Options
    Thank you so much. This was a great post to work on. Thank you @Eleanor for the help. :)
    "There's a part of me I can't get back. A little girl grew up too fast. All it took was once. I'll never be the same." ~ Demi Lovato
    "The way that I have found the light in my life is through the expressive arts because I know that I will be accepted for the way I am." ~ Me
  • Options
    MaisyMaisy Moderator Posts: 627 Incredible Poster
    This very accurately captures how easy it is to start believing things that bullies say or make you feel. I love the part on supporting someone who is being bullied too <3 
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    Thank you. Me and @Eleanor really enjoyed doing this discussion and I am glad that it has been helpful for a lot of people. <3