Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Why can’t I just be normal

I’ve been so anxious around people at work and in general recently like I can’t even have small talk with someone without feeling like I’ve instantly annoyed them, I just feel so lonely. The only people I feel good around are my girlfriend and my family but I’m 23 and I have no friends, I don’t speak to anyone throughout the day, I don’t have social media because i find most of the content is negative and stuff I don’t need to be seeing everyday. Past friendships just fell off as we grew up and moved away but I wouldn’t even know what to say to them now. I’m also really struggling with who I am, idk everyone else around me seems to know what they like and don’t like, do this and that and seem to have a goo d perception of themselves but I don’t know me. I don’t really know what’s wrong with me but I feel so jumbled up in my head, just a big anxious mess 

Comments

• Past UserPast User Posts: 90 Budding Regular
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • coc0maccoc0mac Posts: 1,054 Wise Owl
    Hey @franstrying, welcome to the boards! Great to have you here :smile:

Wow, I think @errrin has summed up everything I would love for you to know really well - couldn't put it better myself :smile: So I really would like to echo everything Erin has said. Like Erin has said, you may be struggling with anxiety, but that really is perfectly okay. The good news is that there is a bunch of support out there for you, and you made a really great step by reaching out here. You really do deserve to be supported and to feel confident in yourself and in building positive relationships around you :heart:

I also can't help but notice you use the term 'normal' in your title. What does 'normal' mean to you - is there an ideal version of yourself that you may like to work towards? I ask as nobody is really ever 'normal'  - every single one of us has our own individual quirks, differences and things that we find difficult. And you know what? That's what makes us all so special x
  • _Tech_Addict_Girl_Tech_Addict_Girl Posts: 1,489 Wise Owl
    @franstrying
    you are not alone we are here for you 
    Sending hugs <3<3
  • independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,610 Legendary Poster
    Hi @franstrying, I’m sorry to hear about how you’re feeling at the moment. It sounds really tough but as the others have said you’re absolutely not alone. I think a lot of people feel similarly to how you do even if they don’t speak about it, you’ve been very brave speaking about it on here and reaching out for that bit of support is often the first step. Even if it doesn’t improve things straight away, it can help you to feel like you’re not bottling it all up and there’s people who really understand you. 

I don’t really have much to add to what the others have said, they’ve put it brilliantly. It’s definitely worth speaking to your GP if you feel comfortable doing that, there’s help out there for anxiety and you don’t have to feel this way forever.

I hope you  find something that helps you soon, sending loads of hugs <3 
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”