Home Articles
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Long-term effects of self-harm - The Mix

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
edited October 2020 in Articles
imageLong-term effects of self-harm - The Mix

If you’ve been self-harming for a while, it can seriously impact your quality of life. The Mix explains the long term effects.

Read the full story here

Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
    edited October 2020
    TW: self-harm methods (relevant to article)

Is it likely to cause nerve damage if the cuts are on the outside of your wrists. I cut quite badly and now my arm hurts hurts when I even move that hand? It’s only been like two days tho

Also I just wanted to add. You can scar from the ice method if it’s really frozen and you keep on skin for too long can cause ice burn.
    Post edited by TheMix on
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
    edited October 2020
    MASSIVE TRIGGER WARNING. 

I self harmed Wednesday night. It’s now Sunday and it will not scab over? It is still open.Is that normal? Never taken so long to scab. I tried steri strip thing. But the white liquid looking thingy on wound just makes it wet and fall off. Can you got to a chemist with a photo to show them if need anything ? It doesn’t hurt anymore tho. And is not that deep but not healing:/ not bleeding though

“And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
  • GreenTeaGreenTea Posts: 12,938 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    edited October 2020
    You should seek medical advice from a medical professional
    Post edited by GreenTea on
    Yeah thanks. But it’s not like emergency and don’t want to waste time if it’s just happens/normal
  • independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,610 Legendary Poster
    @Shaunie it may not be an emergency as such, but issues like that do need medical attention. You’re not wasting anyone’s time 
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
  • JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,288 Part of The Furniture
    edited October 2020
    Just chipping in to reinforce what @independent_ and @GreenTea said. Definitely get yourself to a doctor or A&E (depending on how serious it feels) for something like this. Better to be safe, especially when (as the article mentions) nerve damage could be a thing to watch out for.

Also, I'm not sure whether pharmacists look at photos, but in most of them they have a private space round the back to chat to customers. They're doing this a bit more with COVID to help with the pressure on GPs, so that might also be an option. What d'you reckon @Shaunie?
    All behaviour is a need trying to be met.