Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

What was the best thing a teacher did for you?

One-in-a-millionOne-in-a-million Posts: 599 Incredible Poster
edited March 27 in Work & Study
so ive just been thinking about when I was at high school and had extra help with reading. Do we would go out in a little group and fo a group read. As well as having a book to take home and read with mum, dad, nan ect.

anyone who has had to do extra reading will remember wellington square books with biff chip and floppy. 😂😂😂

this was fine at primery school but when your 14 they get quite boring. Anyway reading wellington square made me not want to read. So my teacher had a word with me to see what was wrong (I was a well behaved student)
I explained that I was struggling to read the books due to not liking them. She said  if I carried on reading them for now, she will see what she can do for me and asked what things I would enjoy more. For me this included mysteries, spooky and crime type books (age appropriate of course.)

jump forward a few months and I my teacher told me she had managed to sort something out for me. She showed me a whole bew set of books called the extraordinary files. These were mystery books that were right up my street. Two detectives investigating a series of supernatural events. I loved them, I remember reading one in particular and not wanting to put it down!

I spoke to her recently (almost 7 years since I left school) I told her that I continue to read now and was grateful for her getting those books. What I didn’t realise was how hard it was to get those books in the first place!!! 
She told me it took a lot of pleading and negotiating to get the funding to buy the books in the first place. she also told me that the amount of children/teenagers that she worked with had also been doing better with there reading.

She could have just shouted at me and told me to just read the book she gave me (wellington square.) but she didn’t! She listened and took action on the feedback she got from me and I presume others.
 I think it goes to show that when teachers listen to their  students they can get good results.

she did give me a laugh to saying she liked listening to me read because I change my voice for the different characters and emotions 😂
(I loved drama btw)

im not quite sure what my point was in this post I think I was just bored but oh well ha ha ha.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    One-in-a-millionOne-in-a-million Posts: 599 Incredible Poster
    Aidan said:
    Unrelated, but I've just realised, I thought the dog was called Kipper? :joy:
    Ha ha ha no that’s another book and cartoon (kipper the dog) 

and yes I can imagine a lot of replies being quite long ha ha ha
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Just got here
    My art teacher showed me how to use photography as a reference from which to apply oil paint to canvas which caused my interest to wander into palette knife painting, but using the knife to paint so leanly that anyone without a trained eye would assume I'd used a sable brush. My art teacher showed me a prime example of one of the finest ways of painting sescapes with such a knife. Pierre de Clausade captured my 14 year old heart. I've not looked back since.

That French painter captured my heart with the allure of his paintings, and here was I fascinated because until right then, I'd already been painting in Clausade's style for the last few years. Here are some lovely examples of Pierre de Clausade's works.

Who would realise that Clausade painted with a palette knife?

Having borrowed my aunt's digital Leice which up to today she has never asked for its return, I went off to some lonely beaches along the northern French coast to capture what I was to convey to canvas. And months later along the ragged beaches of Provence in southern France. My teacher, a private tutor, praised me highly. So enthused I was for his praise though he was highly critical, he helped me gradually build my confidence.

Since returning from hospital last week I got my oils out and commenced preparing my canvas, something also my art teacher taught how to make and latterly to frame, and set down oil to canvas using some very old, but very lovely palette knives I found in a flea market in Paris.

The fire my art teacher stoked in me started off a desire to paint. Instead of my ex who painted a scene using words, I excelled myself using palette knife and looking back to see how far I've come, I am deeply humbled that people are wanting to buy my paintings. And it all started when my art teacher said he believed in me.

• Options
    Martha_798Martha_798 Posts: 2 Newbie
    For me, I had a teacher last year. I always looked forward to her lessons and they made me smile so much. I felt a real connection with her despite not being comfortable talking to older people (don't ask my why because idek, just find it hard). Anyway, one day I'd seen a girl I knew pick something up in form at lunch. I used to be friends with her, but saying we've had our issues before this point is an understatement. So just as the bell was going, I had to go to my next lesson and I didn't know what to do. Just so happens I had this teacher next. My friend and I went over (my friend had the teacher next door to mine) and I went into speak to my teacher with my friend. I asked if I could have a word with her and she immediately brought us into the office, and since at this point, I was almost having a panic attack, she told us we'd done the right thing. Not only did she help us in that moment, but she cancelled the entire lesson (20+ people to teach and a lesson plan!) To bring my friend and I where we needed to go to make sure we got there alright. The entire class was supervised every few minutes by the teacher next door whilst watching a film during this. She's always known if something's up, always been so nice. She's that teacher. The one who genuinely cares for students. Not only that but a friend. She's always checking up on me. I bought her a gift to thank her recently and she hugged me. Always so kind and I honestly don't know where I'd be without her. 💙
  • Options
    DistractionDistraction Posts: 449 Listening Ear
    When I moved to Scotland my maths teacher asked for me to wait behind, he just wanted to check if I was ok, I wish I told him the truth but just being asked was so heart warming, it was really nice of him. 

A support teacher in England also gave me a card, signed by everyone and a bracelet as a good bye gift when I was leaving, she was a lovely lady, I kept in touch with her for a while, should probably email her soon!
  • Options
    DancerDancer Community Champion Posts: 7,788 Master Poster
    1. A couple of weeks ago, I was feeling quite upset after watching a triggering video during Photography. I went to see my form tutor after school like I usually do after school. She noticed how I was feeling and she actually decided to skip going to the start of a meeting that she was supposed to go to just so she could talk to me about my feelings and so I would cheer up a bit.

2. My dance teachers (I have 2 dance teachers at school) know that I have a lack of confidence so they always try and motivate me every lesson to try hard, not give up and to try and actually work with my classmates rather than just hiding away. They believe in me and it has been very helpful for me with my confidence.

3. In year 6, there was a teacher (not one of my teachers but she did teach computing to my class on a Friday afternoon) who believed in me with my computing skills and she helped me a lot with my progress and inspired me to start doing coding. I still remember her and I wonder a lot about how she is doing.
    "There's a part of me I can't get back. A little girl grew up too fast. All it took was once. I'll never be the same." ~ Demi Lovato
    "The way that I have found the light in my life is through the expressive arts because I know that I will be accepted for the way I am." ~ Me
    "I'm going to get strong again and see you soon. " ~ Anonymous 
  • Options
    MaisyMaisy Moderator Posts: 627 Incredible Poster
    edited October 2020
    A teacher let me stay in touch after I left school. One of the closest friendships I've ever had :)

(I've only just realised how old this thread is :joy: )

Post edited by Maisy on
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    sailingswallowssailingswallows Posts: 68 Boards Initiate
    They listened. They cared. They fought.
    The first teacher to listen to me was when I was 11-13. He actually listened.
    When I was 14 I had a few teachers to fought so hard to help me, two of them listened and tried their best, In the end it wasn't enough but I was so thankful. They sent a card to my parents and me when I was in hospital.
    When I was 15 I was at an alternative provision college and a number of the teachers there really cared. They struggled and didn't know what to do with me but that's nothing new. The fought battles and helped me get through my GCSES, two of them even visited me in Hospital. 
    At 16 A senior leader. my LSA and a few others really fought for me to try and make it work. They helped me survive that time. They did all they could within the limitations of the system. They dealt in a calm manor with some very stressful situations. They listened to feedback. They cared and they learned.

Now I have the most amazing education providers (I have 3). They take there time with me to listen, to adapt, to take the pressure off, to do what they care to help. 

The kindest thing a teacher has ever done for me is make me feel safe and listen to me. They haven't shouted at me or blamed me for thing I can't control. They haven't run away when the going gets tough. They listen and care.

*Each new paragraph is a different schools but not all schools had that good teacher that actually helped me

• Options
    Kesh260807Kesh260807 Posts: 47 Boards Initiate
    so ive just been thinking about when I was at high school and had extra help with reading. Do we would go out in a little group and fo a group read. As well as having a book to take home and read with mum, dad, nan ect.

anyone who has had to do extra reading will remember wellington square books with biff chip and floppy. 😂😂😂

this was fine at primery school but when your 14 they get quite boring. Anyway reading wellington square made me not want to read. So my teacher had a word with me to see what was wrong (I was a well behaved student)
    I explained that I was struggling to read the books due to not liking them. She said  if I carried on reading them for now, she will see what she can do for me and asked what things I would enjoy more. For me this included mysteries, spooky and crime type books (age appropriate of course.)

jump forward a few months and I my teacher told me she had managed to sort something out for me. She showed me a whole bew set of books called the extraordinary files. These were mystery books that were right up my street. Two detectives investigating a series of supernatural events. I loved them, I remember reading one in particular and not wanting to put it down!

I spoke to her recently (almost 7 years since I left school) I told her that I continue to read now and was grateful for her getting those books. What I didn’t realise was how hard it was to get those books in the first place!!! 
    She told me it took a lot of pleading and negotiating to get the funding to buy the books in the first place. she also told me that the amount of children/teenagers that she worked with had also been doing better with there reading.

She could have just shouted at me and told me to just read the book she gave me (wellington square.) but she didn’t! She listened and took action on the feedback she got from me and I presume others.
     I think it goes to show that when teachers listen to their  students they can get good results.

she did give me a laugh to saying she liked listening to me read because I change my voice for the different characters and emotions 😂
    (I loved drama btw)

im not quite sure what my point was in this post I think I was just bored but oh well ha ha ha.
    okay so my drama teacher who is also my head of year
    he is amazing he always makes us happy and motivates us he is also caring towards my health as a teacher and always make sure we arent overwhelemed from a work 
    You are loved and you are amazing
  • Options
    chubbydumplingchubbydumpling Posts: 487 Listening Ear
    My Religious Studies teacher at college was the best! She let me eat lunch in her classroom, talk her ear off about politics, and gave me a ton of old philosophy books that they were just going to throw away which set me up nicely for my degree.