Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

☆ Do you think we should stay in quarantine or do you think that we should be out of it by now? ☆

MilsyRoseMilsyRose Posts: 198 Trailblazer
Feel free to comment any of your opinions on the poll, here you can discuss your opinions freely without any judgment! 

Stay safe. 

☆ Do you think we should stay in quarantine or do you think that we should be out of it by now? ☆ 19 votes

Stay in quarantine.
47%
JustVLaineRileychubbydumplingPoppyBConnorZenDandelionPast User 9 votes
Be out of quarantine by now.
5%
tkdog 1 vote
I'm honestly not too sure.
10%
SienaGemmaGem 2 votes
I have mixed opinions about it, really.
36%
DistractionPast UserEyepatchJordanEGMMilsyRoseAnneFrypan 7 votes

Comments

• MilsyRoseMilsyRose Posts: 198 Trailblazer
    In my opinion, we should be out of quarantine because it has been going on for so long and it will probably be something just like the flu with different versions of it, ranging on a spectrum. However, I completely understand that they are trying to keep it under as much control as possible and are trying to decrease the spread of COVID-19. I have mixed opinions.
  • GreenTeaGreenTea Posts: 12,938 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Should still be in lockdown tbh because idiots can't follow the rules and cases are on the rise. 
    There's 32 locations in the UK that's heading for a full lockdown anyway 
  • ZenZen Posts: 1,989 Extreme Poster
    edited August 2020
    Stay in quarantine.
    In my opinion, I dont think people are following the guidelines correctly when in public places. People dont social distance and lots of people are wearing their facemasks wrong or not at all (I don't mean those who are exempt :) ) I work in a shop and it frustrates me when customers come right up close to me rather than 2 metres away, they seem to think because they don't care no one else will but that's not the case <3 
    Post edited by Zen on
    Alis propriis volat 
    GreenTea said:
    Should still be in lockdown tbh because idiots can't follow the rules and cases are on the rise. 
    There's 32 locations in the UK that's heading for a full lockdown anyway 
     You have a valid point and I see where you're coming from! :)
    Eleanor said:
    In my opinion, I dont think people are following the guidelines correctly when in public places. People dont social distance and lots of people are wearing their facemasks wrong or not at all (I don't mean those who are exempt :) ) I work in a shop and it frustrates me when customers come right up close to me rather than 2 metres away, they seem to think because they don't care no one else will but that's not the case <3 
    Some people are silly and I completely understand what you mean by that. People do ruin things for others. <3
  • AnneFrypanAnneFrypan Posts: 335 The Mix Regular
    I have a very mixed idea on all of this because lockdown is very annoying and all however I do not want any new spikes to happen and that leading to anything more. On the other hand I wanna get back to what I enjoy doing like sports ect.
    I have a very mixed idea on all of this because lockdown is very annoying and all however I do not want any new spikes to happen and that leading to anything more. On the other hand I wanna get back to what I enjoy doing like sports ect.
    Me too! I want to see my friends as well. -Looks at-!!!! <3
  • AnneFrypanAnneFrypan Posts: 335 The Mix Regular
    MilsyRose said:
    I really miss you amelia <3

Aidan said:
    I think it might have been beneficial to go into a stricter lockdown for less time, than the loose lockdown we've been doing for a long time :)
    Oo, good thinking! That will probably never happen though because it would drive everyone mad and cause a whole range of problems.
    MilsyRose said:
    I really miss you amelia <3

I miss you too!! <3
  • SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
    Imo I think probably out as I don't think the virus is as contagious as they say it is and they're distracting us from something else
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
    Shaunie said:
    Imo I think probably out as I don't think the virus is as contagious as they say it is and they're distracting us from something else
    It is all just a bit silly now. It is not helping people's mental health at all.
    But the virus is changing all the time...and death rates are creep back up. Physical health is just as important
    edited August 2020
    GreenTea said:
    But the virus is changing all the time...and death rates are creep back up. Physical health is just as important
    By what we areTold. Some deaths are counted as corona when it wasn’t from that. But yeah I do read conspiracy theories probably a bit too much
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
    Yes but the death rate is increasing and so is rate of infection. There's 30+ cities on the watch list for a full lockdown.
    MilsyRose said:
    Shaunie said:
    It is all just a bit silly now. It is not helping people's mental health at all.
    Exactly. It is causing people to become more mentally ill which has lead to more suicides so I’ve read. It’s making people not use the hospital or seek as much help and leading to death. 

I obviously still wear a face mask sanitise and do what I can. I just don’t see how we can possibly get it if wearing face mask and being very careful. Very unlikely. So don’t think there should be another lockdown tbh. Only for those who don’t go with the guidance
    @Shaunie That is what I think, soon there will be more suicides from people becoming more depressed whilst being in quarantine that there is from the coronavirus. 

The doctors tried to turn me down at one point to get my heart checked because of the pandemic that we're in which is ridiculous. Nobody is social distancing anymore, how are you meant to when you're out? Most paths are 1-2 meters long and you're going to be continuously walking past people, you can't social distance unless you're walking in the road.

I was also meant to go back to CAMHS to see if they're actually going to help me instead of being useless but I can't even do that, it's a bit of a joke now. I understand why they're doing it but we can't live a life in lockdown, either way isn't healthy.
    Aidan said:
    I like to look at this as part of the wider issue of freedom vs security that's gone on for much longer than this and not as a purely COVID thing. How much do you value freedom, how much do you value security, and how would you balance the two?

In a hypothetical scenario where you controlled how we manage the virus, what would you do everyone? I'm curious!
    I agree with them stoping huge gatherings such as concerts and such, that is understandable and I'd do the same. However, do we really need to quarantine? I wouldn't ever make people do such a thing because it is causing a variety of other issues that aren't beneficial to anyone. At the end of the day, the Coronavirus will most likely be like a version of the flu which will probably always stick around so we can't hide from it forever. 
  • PoppyBPoppyB Posts: 228 Trailblazer
    Stay in quarantine.
    Very interesting discussion so far, happy to see everyone is being respectful of different viewpoints!

I clicked the wrong button, I meant to say I have mixed feelings...

I'm jumping on here with my public health hat on as it's what I do at work :)

The reason the social distancing and quarantining measures are put in place is because, unlike flu, we don't have a vaccine yet meaning those with poor immune systems (i.e. those with long-term health conditions like cancer, or elderly people) are at an increased risk of catching the disease and will struggle to fight it off without increased protection. In addition, we don't know how COVID will spread in UK winter when there's typically more pressure on the NHS anyway, and there's more coughs, colds and flu around which have overlapping COVID symptoms.  

However, realistically, we cannot have a nationwide quarantine indefinitely because it's already having a detrimental effect on mental wellbeing, social isolation, job security, digital exclusion and access to healthcare across all ages.

It is very tricky to find a balance between the two, especially when the R number does not drill down to a local level, and different areas have a different definition of what a COVID case/death is. I think that local lockdowns will be the way forward but I'm a bit concerned with who will have oversight now the government wants to replace Public Health England...     
  • tkdogtkdog Posts: 281 The Mix Regular
    Be out of quarantine by now.
    We should be out at least the less vulnerable population. The older ppl overall to be protected still. We still need to take precautions though.

There are certain areas which have higher cases though cities of sorts which might benefit from lockdown. But at least the south east areas im thinking of there have been 0 covid paitents in many hospitals for weeks.
    It's having an affect on people who need to access services for wellbeing and having such tight restrictions is bad. And also nhs is not overburdened  anymore and is better at treating paitents unlike before it was overloaded.
    There is suggestions that corona might be weakening.
  • EyepatchEyepatch Posts: 666 Incredible Poster
    I think it should be lockdown for the places that aren't following the rules, if other places are staying safe and following the guidelines then they shouldn't have to lockdown. Even if it seems unfair, it keeps people safe and might encourage people to follow the guidelines.

My town is 'safe' so far but my work is only open to staff as a precaution, and it really helped, all 200 staff got tested and we had maybe 4 people who were positive with no symptoms and had to go home but they didn't pass it on to others because we distance and wear the ppe gear when it's needed. Lockdown can help, but if you are social distancing, handwashing and all that then you might not need to lockdown. 
    "Sometimes we find ourselves stuck between choosing what is right, and what is easy."