Home We Need You
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Opportunity to be Involved With a MH Project!

ZenZen Posts: 1,989 Extreme Poster
Hey guys! 

I'm working on an exciting project and I specifically asked @The Mix if I could collaborate with community members.. To which I was thrilled when they said yes! 

I am working on a mental health project which aims to campaign for better mental health education in schools, I believe that having an education around what mental health is from a young age will reduce the amount of stimga surrounding it and will allow young people to better take care of their mental health. 

To do this, a social media platform will be set up as well as a website! 

An example of a few things we will be doing are these:
  • Designing what the projects 'brand' will look like
  • Creating the website
  • Creating education resources which can be used in classrooms 
  • Sharing experiences of mental health
  • Making sure mental health information is accessible to young people 
  • Collecting feedback from teachers and pupils 

I would like this project to me made by young people, for young people. If you would like to be involved with this then it would be great if you could drop a comment below so I know or, if you would rather, you can pm me!

Collaboration of this project will be kept on the boards to protect the anonymity of board users and so you know that there is a safe space to do this <3 

Feel free to leave any questions below! 
Alis propriis volat 

Comments

• MilsyRoseMilsyRose Posts: 198 Trailblazer
    I'd be more than willing to help out if you need it. It is a fantastic idea, you're a great person for doing this. <3
  • AnneFrypanAnneFrypan Posts: 335 The Mix Regular
    Hello Eleanor,

This sounds like an amazing project and it would be great to have more mental health education within schools. I have to agree with your point that this would reduce the amount of stigma that there is that shouldn't be there. As you have said you are hoping that it will help to get people to take care of their mental health more, it would be great to set children and teenagers up with a toolbox of resources and ideas that can help them through their lives. Hopefully, if it was taught more then it would also be a way that fewer people would be needing to go into therapy etc as they already have the skills and resources to help them. I personally wish they had talked about it more from a younger age with me as until it hit I had no idea what it would be like at all. 

I would love to get involved with this as yes we should all be here for each other and I love to help others. What would it involve?  
  • ZenZen Posts: 1,989 Extreme Poster
    @AnneFrypan Thank you for your comment! If you would like to be involved, I will be posting an other post in the next few days of what there will be to do to start with. You are free to do as much or as little as you would like - if something comes up that's not really your thing, then no worries! 
    Alis propriis volat 
  • GreenTeaGreenTea Posts: 12,938 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    If you need my help lovely, just let me know and I'll give it a go! 
    I do work in education so I can give insight in creating resources etc and like what I feel schools are missing etc too if that would help?
  • AnneFrypanAnneFrypan Posts: 335 The Mix Regular
    Eleanor said:
    @AnneFrypan Thank you for your comment! If you would like to be involved, I will be posting an other post in the next few days of what there will be to do to start with. You are free to do as much or as little as you would like - if something comes up that's not really your thing, then no worries! 
    Sounds great, can't wait for the next post as helping others is a great thing to do and what you are doing is great. Keep it up! 
    @GreenTea That would be amazing, thank you so much!!
    Alis propriis volat 
  • GreenTeaGreenTea Posts: 12,938 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Eleanor said:
    @GreenTea That would be amazing, thank you so much!!

You're welcome :) 
  • MilsyRoseMilsyRose Posts: 198 Trailblazer
    I'll be looking out for the post!! :)
  • Salix_alba_2019Salix_alba_2019 Deactivated Posts: 1,646 Extreme Poster
    That's fantastic! I'd definitely love to help 😀
  • SandyDaze12SandyDaze12 Posts: 10 Settling in
    (slams hand down on table) I'm in!
    I'm just doing my best, dammit! Is that good enough for you?
    ...Will it ever be good enough for you?
    Alis propriis volat 
    @Mike Would you possibly be able to have a look at the message I've sent to @The Mix about this please 😄 I'm just making a plan so it would be great to know what I'm able to do, thank you! 
    Alis propriis volat 
  • DancerDancer Community Champion Posts: 7,722 Master Poster
    This sounds like a great idea. Can I help out as well please?
    "There's a part of me I can't get back. A little girl grew up too fast. All it took was once. I'll never be the same." ~ Demi Lovato
    "The way that I have found the light in my life is through the expressive arts because I know that I will be accepted for the way I am." ~ Me
    "I'm going to get strong again and see you soon. " ~ Anonymous 
    Of course you can! @Kasa2103 😄
    Alis propriis volat 
    Thank you 
    "There's a part of me I can't get back. A little girl grew up too fast. All it took was once. I'll never be the same." ~ Demi Lovato
    "The way that I have found the light in my life is through the expressive arts because I know that I will be accepted for the way I am." ~ Me
  • _Tech_Addict_Girl_Tech_Addict_Girl Posts: 1,489 Wise Owl
    That sounds great can I help as well, please @Eleanor <3
    Of course @Emoji246
    Alis propriis volat 
    edited September 2020
    @caitlynBryan :) This is the post that other young people used to say they would like to be involved in the project. We then created a separate forum where only the users who expressed interested would be able to see the posts. I'll get you added into that forum :) 
    Alis propriis volat 
  • coc0maccoc0mac Posts: 1,054 Wise Owl
    This sounds brilliant! If I'm not too late, may I be involved too please? 
    Of course @coc0mac 😊
    Alis propriis volat 
  • sailingswallowssailingswallows Posts: 68 Boards Initiate
     I would be interested. thank you
    Hey everyone!

If anyone else would like to join us working on this project, we'd love to have you!

We're currently working on some branding for Social Media as well as some resources for education!

Just comment below if you'd like to be added into the forum :)
    Alis propriis volat 
  • Past UserPast User Definition of a mental mess and a certified lost cause :) EnglandPosts: 0 Just got here
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    @LorryTruck Of course, would love to have you! I'll get you added :)
    Alis propriis volat 
  • Past UserPast User Definition of a mental mess and a certified lost cause :) EnglandPosts: 0 Just got here
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • lovemimoonlovemimoon Posts: 2,318 Boards Champion
    Heyo! I would love to help out!
  • m3gan04m3gan04 Posts: 28 Boards Initiate
    Hey! This sounds like such an incredible idea, I’d love to take part.

I wish my secondary school were more educated on mental health. From an outside perspective they’re known to be good, but my personal experiences say the complete opposite.

Year 7: struggled with an eating disorder and started to self-harm. Saw a councillor in school for the first time. She told me self-harm wasn’t a trend or a fashion statement.

Year 9: Attendance and grades dropped. Self harm got really bad and every Pe lesson I was just told to cover it up.

Year 10: Rumours spread about me and not a single teacher noticed. I was told off constantly by head of years as my appointments fell during school hours.

Year 11: was sexually assaulted and instead of asking me what was wrong, they had a go at me for not paying attention - didn’t even think to ask. Then told me it was no excuse. Eating disorder got worse and I was put on bed rest, they didn’t even agree to a part timetable let alone time off - they constantly ignored psychologists advice......

I could go on
  • zoezoe Posts: 29 Boards Initiate
    Hihi! I'd love to take part in this! I realise I'm around 1 year late to this hehe
    “Smile, breathe and go slowly”
    — Thích Nhất Hạnh