Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Should tiktok be banned in the UK?

SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
“And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley

Should tiktok be banned in the UK? 21 votes

Yes
9%
GreenTeaZen 2 votes
Probably
28%
Past UserLaineDancertkdogMilsyRosePast User 6 votes
No
33%
Skivemags98Mel_JonAddoAnneFrypan_Tech_Addict_Girlrainskye 7 votes
I don’t know
14%
EyepatchDandelionPast User 3 votes
No opinion
14%
independent_StarlightEGM 3 votes

Comments

• LaineLaine Deactivated Posts: 2,762 Boards Guru
    Probably
    Oh interesting @Eleanor not seen that I only get the embarrassing stuff (what up dog I'm the alpha) 😂😂 

I don't know really if there's an actual security issue then probably but I did like it, I've followed my fav accounts on insta but I don't use it so will likely just never see them again 😂

Fun while it lasted

🌈Positive thoughts🌈

"This is my family. I found it, all on my own.
    It's little, and Broken, but still good. Yeah. Still good." ~ Stitch

"Lately, I've been struggling with all the simple things in my life" ~ Cian Ducrot

"I don't know if it's because my heart hurts or I'm insecure" ~ Juice Wrld
  • independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,610 Legendary Poster
    No opinion
    I voted for no opinion as I don’t use it and have no interest in using it. I’ve came off a lot of my social medias recently and now only really use Twitter.

If it’s a security risk then the answer should be an obvious yes. But like @Aidan said, if it’s a political thing because China have banned other stuff then no.

If people are concerned about data and data protection though, then all social media should be banned by that logic. They all collect data and they all use data and there are privacy concerns about almost all of them.
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
  • ZenZen Posts: 1,989 Extreme Poster
    Yes
    @Aidan @Laine I can't say I do see this on other socials! I think because I do a lot of mental health volunteering and my searches on Google are to do with mental health that might effect it? I'm not sure but I think these videos should be removed 
    Alis propriis volat 
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    No
    No it shouldn't be banned.
    But you shouldn't download it or use it if you care about your privacy.
    Weekender Offender 
  • GreenTeaGreenTea Posts: 12,938 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Yes
    I said yes because there's a huge issue with children being groomed on tiktok and has been since musicly days. Tiktok don't care, they don't remove content that breaks the rules either. 
    Everything is public on tiktok, even if you account is private, your videos some how end up on the for you page. 
    There's also a massive issue with bullying on tiktok. 

@Eleanor I get videos about suicide and self harm and eating disorders too and it's really triggering and I don't understand why because it's not ones we watch.. it's a really toxic environment. I've literally had videos appear on my for you page, of someone self harming and posting it etc.. yet tiktok doesn't remove it. 
    The issue about it being banned for far deeper than security breech. I mean...Hong Kong even banned it
  • Past UserPast User Posts: 1,997 Extreme Poster
    I don’t know
    No, and I think even if it does get deleted another platform will be made. TikTok is basically vine reincarnated. I think it needs to be monitored better and there needs to be stricter rules. I’ve had videos on my fyp of SH and it’s almost as if on TikTok depression and unhealthy coping mechanisms are glorified. 

I don’t want to see it deleted but I think changes need to be made, fo sho.
  • DandelionDandelion Posts: 1,911 Extreme Poster
    I don’t know
    I hope it doesn’t get banned in a way, I like watching the funny videos on there I find it a nice distraction for me. I do however see triggering videos on there a lot, I just skip past them and it doesn’t bother me that much. But I totally understand how people could get triggered by certain videos. I want it to not be banned but they should introduce some more rules so that it’s safer for everyone 
    The steps you take don’t need to be big, they just need to take you in the right direction. 
  • EyepatchEyepatch Posts: 666 Incredible Poster
    edited August 2020
    I don’t know
    On one hand it’s a choice if you want to use it or not, so perhaps it’s up to the user. But, TicTok owns The copyright to all the videos you upload And I don’t think that’s fair to independent creators who are trying to share their work. 

TicTok should have stricter monitors for triggering content though, especially because it’s such a popular platform for young people right now.

@Shaunie Was there a particular issue or event that made you want to share this poll? It’s very interesting reading everyone’s responses :) 
    "Sometimes we find ourselves stuck between choosing what is right, and what is easy." 
  • ZenZen Posts: 1,989 Extreme Poster
    Yes
    @Shaunie How about you, what do you think? :) 
    Alis propriis volat 
  • coc0maccoc0mac Posts: 1,054 Wise Owl
    edited August 2020
    Hey! Would somebody mind explaining to me why the US ban actually came about please?
  • SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
    Interesting to hear everyone thoughts thank you!
    i asked this question as it’s becoming triggering for me cause I’ve viewed mental health ones. Now my for you page is full of it and triggering me. So feel like should be banned tbh. It feels like they’re all competing against each other to be the most ill to get the most followers But I b think that happens on all social media
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
  • coc0maccoc0mac Posts: 1,054 Wise Owl
    Thank you @Aidan! Going to do some reading up :smile:
  • MilsyRoseMilsyRose Posts: 198 Trailblazer
    Probably
    I personally don't like TikTok so eh-
  • AnneFrypanAnneFrypan Posts: 335 The Mix Regular
    No
    Personally I like Tick Tock, I find it as a way to distract my self by watching funny meme and acting challenges. I do not want it banned as it's just great to keep my mind off of reality sometimes. 
  • GreenTeaGreenTea Posts: 12,938 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Yes
    Unless an American buyer buys tiktok, it's being banned in the 15th of September in the states and I reckon the UK with quickly follow suit and ban it tok
  • tkdogtkdog Posts: 281 The Mix Regular
    Probably
    I mean banning it is a big thing and even in the US it seems unlikely they will be able to fully do so since no firewall.
    I think it's unlikely it will be banned here I think since they want it around as money. But i still think they should take actions against it in law or restrict it's business. 
    People should also support competitors like triller and i guess reels by instagram even tho i dont trust them lol
    And then there is byte which is like the new vine.
    Tiktok has shown evidence to have a particular algorithm that tries to actually change the way you think apparently. Not that it's been that succesful but they try to mix in pro china communist party content in. They will also remove the anti communist party content. Also while people think what kind of data can you get from a silly dancing app they do collect a lot of data that can be used against you, and the communist party can access any data from chinese companies since it is authoritarian.
    For most teens its unlikely a problem though.