Home Articles
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Cautions and warnings - The Mix

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
edited July 2020 in Articles
imageCautions and warnings - The Mix

What are police cautions and warnings? Can they stop you getting a job in the future? The Mix finds out more so you don't get caught out.

Read the full story here

Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    traceystraceys Posts: 1 Just got here
    Hello ...I am nervous about my comment today l was detained in b apnd m store for shoplifting l am so embarrassed, l was told to not enter their stores again the police weren't involved.. will they report this to the police...so worried
  • Options
    MaisyMaisy Moderator Posts: 634 Incredible Poster
    edited July 2020

Hey @traceys

Thanks for being honest and opening up to us. It takes a lot to be open about shoplifting and it's natural you'd feel embarrassed. But we are here to help you.

Unfortunately, we aren’t legal professionals so we cannot say for sure whether the shoplifting will be reported to the police. Did they take any details? If they didn’t, then it’s unlikely they would contact the police. That said, there may be a risk of being reported to the police if you are found in that store again.

If you are interested, we have an article featuring shoplifting that you might want to check out here: https://www.themix.org.uk/crime-and-safety/in-trouble/what-happens-if-you-give-the-police-a-false-address-9485.html#:~:text=There%27s%20no%20specific%20offence%20of,because%20you%20gave%20false%20details.

However, since we aren’t experts, you might want to talk to someone at Citizens Advice https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/ and see if they can help you.

FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    snowyhuntersnowyhunter Posts: 1 Just got here
    Hi, Will a caution show up automatically on any Uni or college applications?
    Thanks
    Jane
  • Options
    JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,313 Part of The Furniture
    @snowyhunter this snippet from the article might answer your question:
    Does a caution give me a criminal record? Do I have to tell employers about it?

A caution isn’t a criminal conviction and therefore it is considered to be ‘spent’ immediately under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act.

What this means is that if there is a section on an application form where it asks about unspent convictions under the Act, if you’ve received a caution, you don’t have to say anything.

It can be used as a sign of ‘bad character’ if you go to court for another crime.

Will a caution show up on a DBS check?

Although cautions are not classified as a criminal conviction, they will show up on Disclosure and Barring Service checks (DBS), previously known as CRB checks. Normally employers will take into account the type of offence and how long ago it happened.

If you want more information and advice about your criminal record, contact ACRO Criminal Records Office.
    The truth resists simplicity.