Home Articles
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Cannabis gave me derealisation

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
edited May 2019 in Articles

imageCannabis gave me derealisation

Stewart tells The Mix about how smoking cannabis gave me derealisation and an anxiety disorder

Read the full story here

Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• breaboybreaboy Posts: 1 Just got here
    which medication has worked for you and has it helped with the emotion returning as well?
  • MaisyMaisy Moderator Posts: 617 Incredible Poster

Hi @breaboy

In the article, it mentions that the doctors gave Stewart anti-anxiety medication and that seemed to work for him.

If you are struggling with derealisation, or any mental health related concern, it’s best that you talk to your GP who will be able to prescribe some medications, offer you counselling and other therapies or refer you on to a psychiatrist/psychologist.

You can also share your feelings in our discussion boards https://community.themix.org.uk/ Alternatively, you can also contact AnxietyUK https://www.anxietyuk.org.uk/ and No Panic https://www.nopanic.org.uk/ for more information regarding anxiety, emotional numbness and derealisation.

Take care,

Mary-Ellen@TheMix

FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • st0rmchaserst0rmchaser Posts: 1 Just got here
    I went through this hell for 30 years, and for 30 years--from 1976 through 2006--I was given an anti-depressant and a benzo. They treated the symptoms and that allowed me to function, but it didn't cure anything. I was seeing a naturopathic physician for a different issue, and I mentioned DP/DR that began due to an overindulgence of cannabis, and she gave me something that literally cured the symptoms overnight. Due to the nature of my panic attacks and anticipatory anxiety, it took me nearly a month to realize, "Hey, I haven't had any DP/DR thoughts or panics for a month!" By that time, I'd been off benzos and SSRIs anyway, so those drugs got zero credit. What my ND gave me was something she called cannabinol. As with decades of false hopes, I figured this was another wasted effort, but it turned out to be the magic bullet. One dose, no effects, and DP/DR stopped and hasn't returned since.
  • BilboBBilboB Posts: 1 Just got here
    Hello @st0rmchaser,

Is cannabinol in CBD oil/tinctures? Could you please give an update on your DP/DR? Are you still symptom-free? Were you experiencing DP/DR 24/7?

Thank you for your time.

- BilboB
  • Georgeyboy1Georgeyboy1 Posts: 1 Just got here
    st0rmchaser, I too would be interested in this. I have had constant dp/dr for 17 years simce i smoked when i was 16 years old. I went a year without smoking and figured it would never leave me so have smoked since but would like it do go now. I have tried CBD oil and that did nothing but that is cannabidiol. Can you shed more light on what you took and if its still working? All the best
  • adri3adri3 Posts: 1 Just got here
    I cant believe this is an actual thing. I'm going through this right now when I already have anxiety and slight dp/dr but smoking hash for the first time has made everything I'm feeling a lot more intense and horrible. I understand now what I went through may never be understood by someone even if they're going through something similar. I might have to try cannabinol. I'm wondering how I can open up to my therapist abt this because I'm going through cbt for anxiety?